Notices

Need help with Italy trip

Feb 17th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Need help with Italy trip

I'm planning a trip to Italy for my 25 wedding anniversary and need some help with some logistics. We'd like to visit the obvious cities (Rome, Venice and Florence) and have 14 days to do this. However we have a timeshare in Soriano that we'd like to stay sometime during this trip for 5 days as well. I've looked at tours but many of them do not let you break the tour up? Also we were thinking of renting a car to drive to Soriano...but not convinced this is a wise thing to do.

Also any suggestions on reputable tour companies...I've found a trip on Tripmasters that will take us into Rome for 4 nights then hotel on our own for 6 nights (we could do our Soriano stay) then back to Rome and train to Venice.

Any help would be appreciated,
Chris
Feb 17th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Have you traveled to Europe or Italy before? You do not need to go with a tour group unless you really want to as you should be able to plan most of this on your own. I would recommend getting a book such as Rick Steves' Italy book as he has lots of information for first time visitors.

Could you possibly fly into Rome and fly out of Venice? That would save you time and the expense of backtracking.

One possible itinerary: you could fly to Rome and visit there for four days. You could then rent a car and drive to Soriano. You will probably want a car in Soriano to visit other areas nearby. From there you could drive to Florence and drop off the car. You could stay two or three days in Florence, train to Venice and finish you trip there.

You could also decide to be with a tour group in Rome and then strike off on your own once you feel more comfortable with being in Italy.
Feb 17th, 2016, 01:19 PM

Is it Soriano del Cimino? That is the only Soriano I am finding. You are almost certain to want a car to get there.
While you could do a tour and then visit on your own afterward, I see no reason to not try to do it independently. Start by checking tickets--open jaw into Venice and out to Rome or vice-versa. You can take the train among those cities but rent a car outside a city to get to Soriano (and drop it off outside a city as well.
People are more than happy to help you plan here.
Feb 17th, 2016, 01:40 PM

There are at least two Sorianos: Soriano nel Cimino and Soriano Calabro. Which one (or maybe there's even another) is the one you want to visit?

Search this Thread