Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help with hotels for imminent tour of France, Italy and Greece

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Desi Franklin

While I recuperate at home from some surgery, I am trying to help a good friend by researching reasonably priced lodging for her family of 4 (10 year old twins) as they explore Europe for about 30 days - starting June 9, so it's time to make those reservations, I think. Apparently, finding things in their price range has been a challenge for their travel agent.

Please, no comments on the itinerary - this is not my trip (and right now it makes my head swim to think of moving around so much) but she is doing this to introduce France, Italy and Greece to her girls, so leisure and luxury are not a priority.

I think cleanliness, safety and location as well as authenticity would be the main things they would like. They would like to spend about $100 a night for the 4 of them.

So here is my rough understanding of the trip:

Paris - 5 or so nights
Antibes, St. Juan le Pins, Vence - ? nights
Pisa, Pietra Sante - 1 night
Florence - ? nights
Venice - " "
Athens - " "
Crete - " "
San Turini - " "
Sounion (sp?) - " "

I am trying to find out more details to refine this post. I believe they have transportation already arranged, so of course this would drive things to some extent.

Any thoughts re accomodations? Thanks very much.

Desi Franklin
[email protected]

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Rex

For Paris, I don't consider myself a whiz, but time is very short, so I will throw out the suggestion that they use www.webscapades.com - - and maybe even call their toll free number to book once they have mapped out a few choices in Paris and the Cote d'Azur.

For Italy, I would recommend www.venere.com for 2-3 nights Venice and 2-3 nights Florence.

But I am confused, what air travel plans are there? How are they getting back home from Europe? Need to return to France? or fly home from Athens?

There are a huge number of holes to fill in just 10 days. I hope they have more preparation completed than you have indicated here.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 30th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Diane

In Antibes I stayed at the L'Auberge Provencale located in the heart of old town Antibes. It was very reasonably priced. Their largest room (and it was HUGE) was $75 back in 1997; the room can hold four people with no problem. The rooms have names instead of numbers. The one I stayed in is "Chambre Celine." My friend took a room named "Emmanuelle," and it had a queen size bed and a single bed. They had other, smaller rooms, for less money.

The old town has a lot of charm with many shops, restaurants, wonderful bakeries and pastry shops. In the morning there is a large market close to the inn, and one morning while we were there a flea market was set-up for several blocks.

From there we drove to St. Paul de Vence, Venice, and Eze for short visits. I thought this was a great spot for staying and touring the French Riviera. We were able to walk to the hotel from the train station (a bit of a walk, but doable), and we rented a car in town.

The auberge has a very nice restaurant -- at least it was very nice in 1997.

I've not been able to find a website for them. I found out about this hotel through travel book recommendations.

Old May 30th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Diane

Here's what I could find about Auberge Provencale:

AUBERGE PROVENCALE
61, place Nationale
06600 Antibes Juan les Pins
Tel : 04 93 34 13 24 Fax : 04 93 34 89 88

Old May 30th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Sue

I found this about the Auberge Provencale on www.jack-travel.com; at least it has a phone number: L’Auberge Provencale, 61 place Nationale tel 0493341324 fax 0493348988. You are welcomed with open arms. Small but very convivial it has only 6 rooms, wit tasteful furnishing. Comfortable rooms that go from 53.50-70 euro (bath, WC)

The Hotel du Palais Bourbon in Paris in the 7th near the Rodin Museum has a family room available starting the June 9 for 5 nights at $126/night. It is a quiet, safe area. You can book it and see many comments at:

http://digital.france.com/hotels/hoteldetails.ihtml?HotelID=470

You can also do a search here for comments. I haven't stayed there, but I remember reading family-type posts about it. Whatever they book, they'd better do it fast!

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:15 AM