Need help with hotel in London!

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with hotel in London!

We are a family of seven, four adults, three children under 7 years searching for an hotel in South Kensington, possibly Knightsbridge, maybe Mayfair, for a week at the end of May. Room configuration: a two bedroom suite, with or without living room between and a separate double room that can accommodate a rollaway.

Some nights two older boys will sleep in the second bedroom of the suite with babysitter (with rollaway) and baby sleeps each night with parents in a cot, grandmother in separate double room. However, a few of the nights the two older boys will be sleeping in with grandmother to give babysitter time off or when grandmother does not have evening plans. Sheesh, this sounds so complicated. Hope it makes sense.

Last year we were fortunate to stay at The Berkeley when they were offering a "Suite Deal" which was two double adjoining rooms with the second room at half price. With grandmother's separate double room and rollaway, the cost came in at US $1,500 per night. Needless to say, we are spoiled by staying in the posh hotel and very desirable neighborhood. We've researched apartments and town homes but prefer the services of a hotel. We'd like to stay in this same dollar range if possible.

Any suggestions for a hotel which would meet our requirements, not necessarily as posh as The Berkeley, maybe a few notches down? Appreciate any and all input.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 05:33 PM

have a look at the Pelham Hotel on Cromwell Place...nice South Ken location, just across the street from the tube...they have a king suite that connects with a double to make it into a 2 bedroom suite...then you'd have to do another room i guess...didnt look at the rates, but i stayed here last October and thought it was good for the money, has a real english country feel to it...
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM

Our fav is the Tavistock. Right within walking to everything and not too pricy, as London goes. Clean but not fancy and includes breakfast, as I remember.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 08:40 AM

travelchat:

Perhaps Flemings Mayfair might work. They are a hotel in Mayfair with hotel rooms and serviced apartments. If you are staying in an apartment you can still use the services of the hotel.
http://www.flemings-mayfair.co.uk/

We are staying in April and got a 3 for 2 deal.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies, Fodorites! We are currently researching the above. Also looking at the Mandeville. Anyone knowledgeable about this particular hotel?
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:52 PM

Hey. Good luck on your search. But if you are ready to travel 30 mins by Underground (Tube), you can look for hotels which are way cheaper than the ones in South Kensington etc. The places to look for are in Eastern London area. Places like Ilford, East Ham, Stratford etc. These places have hotels with budget rates and it can help you save some money.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 11:39 PM

I definitely wouldn't recommend the places Jey recommends unless you really can't afford one in central London. The time wasted getting places arent worth it to me when on vacation.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
To suggest staying in East Ham or Stratford?? Sort of like someone asking for 4 Seasons quality and recommending Motel 6. The OP has stayed at the <i>Berkeley</i> fer cryin' out loud

Flemings is a good suggestion. A few of the posh-ish west end hotels have attached serviced apartments.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 08:23 AM

I just got a mail from the Berkeley advertising a 2 for 1 offer, may be worth checking out.

In the same area, we have stayed at the Sheraton Park Tower. Not such a charming property, but the rooms are large, and connecting. If you overlook the park, rooms have nice large windows, and great view.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read the TA reviews of the Berkeley and not the ones from the people who simply went there for teatime.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>><i>Read the TA reviews of the Berkeley and not the ones from the people who simply went there for teatime.</i><<

Presumably the OP doesn't need to read TA to know what they think of the place. travelchat has already stayed there >>Last year we were fortunate to stay at The Berkeley <<
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Oh boy, didn't mean to start a war here. Down chappies,!it's all good. I think we've decided on The Capitol, since they can give us the room configurations we need and the location is perfect for us. Thanks again, everyone for taking the time to offer up your suggestions which we have filed in our London folder for future reference!
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM

Someone mentioned the Pelham earlier. It's a lovely hotel--probably just as nice, but smaller scale, than the Berkley. I think they might also have small apartment that you can stay in. I remember inquiring about it a few years ago. Email them.

This hotel is a few notches down from the Berkley, but might be a good option: Parkcity. It's in Earl's Court--not most people's favorite location but it's a good one, I think. It's just a block or two from the tube. Plus it's not to far from high street Kensington and the palace. The hotel is lovely--modern and clean. There is a courtyard in back which would be nice for the kids. They often include breakfast with your rate (the breakfast is great). Most importantly, they have one apartment in hotel. It's three bedrooms, three baths along with a dining room and living room. You'll have to email them to get a price for the apartment, but it should be fairly reasonable.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:21 PM

The Athenaeum Hotel has one bedroom apartments that you can connect to another one bedroom apartment (pullout couch, kitchen, living room).