Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help with Germany trip plans (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-germany-trip-plans-666330/)

Poconolady Dec 27th, 2006 06:32 AM

Need help with Germany trip plans

Due to family emergency we have had to postpone and rebook a trip to Germany twice in the last month. We were scheduled to go to Germany and Switzerland for the CHristmas markets and holiday ambiance. Ok, I know that is over. We are using miles for overseas flight and Starwood points for some hotel nights and have now pushed the trip back to the end of January. Due to having to change our plans so often we are now flying in/out of Germany thru Stuttgart and will have a little less than two weeks of ground time.
Can I get some input on things to see and do in the Stuttgart area. We plan to spend most of the time based in Munich and then doing day trips to Fussen, Salzburg and either Garmisch or Mittenwald. We are also planning on two days in Rothenburg. Any input on activies, outstanding restraunts, etc would be appreciated.
We plan to use the Bayern tickets for transport as much as possible, however we wonder about driving between Munich and Rothenburg in January.
Any input from travelers who have been to Germany in January would be appreciated. Do they have large sales in the stores, etc?
Thanks in advance

L84SKY Dec 27th, 2006 06:46 AM

We went to Germany in March this year and I was a bit apprehensive about driving in the snow since I'm from California. We were fortunate that it didn't snow much while we were there. It had laid down a lot the week before. How comfortable are you with driving in weather of that type? Maybe the train is a better alternative.

We loved Germany so much that we returned in Oct and went to Stuttgart. What a great city. We loved the Mercedes Benz Museum and the Statsgalerie. Go to the stuttgart.de and see what interests you.

Dukey Dec 27th, 2006 06:50 AM

IMO two (whole???) days in Ro-burg) is one too many unless you are going to stay overnight specifically to do the Night Watchmen deal or you love the overall ambience of the town.

Can you elaborate a bit?

rachw Dec 27th, 2006 08:52 AM

Of course, you'll visit the museum of medieval torture in Rothenburg and watch the clock show in R'berg's town square?

rachw Dec 27th, 2006 09:09 AM

In January, the torture museum is only open from 2-4 PM (IMO, well worth a visit).
There is a tiny Jewish cemetary, many towers (a few open during January), Staudtsche Haus und Hof, a typical dwelling from 1772 (on Herrngasse)--not well known but a hidden treasure.
The toy and doll museum (Hofbronnengasse 13) is open from 11 am-5pm in January,
Tours in english with the "Night Watchman" at 8pm are not to be missed.
For eating, the Altfraenkische Weinstube has traditional eats, and for drinking, miteralterliche Trinkstube "zur Hoelle" (Hell)!
Enjoy!

bmw732002 Dec 27th, 2006 09:13 AM

Hey Pocono"

2 weeks is a lot of time for January!

Driving to Rothenburg from Munich should not be an issue, most of the snow should be south of MUNICH( although I spent 2 days in a blizzard in Rothenburg...and loved it!

Nightwatchman does not do his thing in January! I think he takes his well earned American Tips and heads to the warmer climes!!

Check out bensbaurenhof.com for great tips on southern Germany.

John

Poconolady Dec 29th, 2006 12:06 PM

Oh No!! No Night Watchmans tour in January, short hours at the museum-that does it, I am putting Rothenburg on the back burner until Christmastime next year. I think we will take the two days allotted to Rothenburg and either extend the time in Garmisch or Mittenwald or see some of the Black Forest, instead. Any suggestions? Is three days enough for Luzern (includes morning train from Stuttgart on Sat. and evening train from Luzern to Munich on Mon.) Any input on a day in Englelberg? Thanks