Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Help with Florence Hotel Decision! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-florence-hotel-decision-821611/)

el13207 Jan 13th, 2010 08:22 PM

Need Help with Florence Hotel Decision!

Trying to decide among several Florence hotel choices: Casci, Monna Lisa, Orto de Medeci, Torre Guelfa. Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels recently? Or can you suggest a smallish, centrally located hotel for 150-170 euro a night for a 4 night stay in early May for my tall husband and me, prefer charm and comfort, plus decent breakfast.

sarge56 Jan 13th, 2010 08:26 PM

We love the Casci and are going back this April! Cannot wait to see Paulo again. :)

Wonderful family-run hotel. We love the Casci and highly recommend it!

Buon viaggio!

Graziella5b Jan 13th, 2010 08:59 PM

Last year we stayed in th e HOtel Casci and it was very nice.
Location was very good. We were three and had a large quadruple room.

Everything was very clean, we had a DVD and also a small fridge. Front desk attention was excellent they were helpful with reservations and the like.
Paulo is indeed a nice fellow , his mother is a fine lady constantly checking the breakfast service.Buffet breakfast is excellent too including a good cappuccino.
In a way it is a classic 2/3 stars Italian hotel.Rooms might vary one from the other. Go for it.

Graziella5b Jan 13th, 2010 09:19 PM

Hi 132 o7 after I posted a reply I checked the other hotels you mentioned, realizing that they have more stars than the family run Casci , for instance the Mona Lisa has four, while the Casci has two.
I have never stayed in the hotels Mona Lisa, Torre Guelfa or Orto de Medici. In the internet they all look more elegant that the Casci. What I mean may be it is not fair to compare a two with a four star hotel. The Casci is very pleasant but for instance it does not have an ample
lobby or common space like the Mona Lisa apparently has. The Casci, I forgot to mention it before has 24/7
access to a computer in a smallish area , and then there is the dinning room.
The furniture in our room was simple, comfortable, good bed, nice sheets etc but typical of 2/3 stars small Italian HOtels.The style of the furniture was contemporary lackluster hotel
furniture, the other hotels you mentioned seemed to me more sophisticated.

Flame123 Jan 13th, 2010 10:21 PM

Have only stayed at Casci BUT have stayed their FIVE times so far. Only place I will stay while in Florence. Echo everything Graziella5b said. Wonderful place with personal touches and extremely pleasant and helpful staff. Indeed it is not luxurious but why pay extra for that when you have everything you need here?

Graziella5b Jan 14th, 2010 05:20 AM

I was thinking after several of us, Flame,Sarge. have .expressed our opinion on the Casci based on our experience it would be fascinating to know what 3207 will decide and after the trip if she/he was disappointed or not. I noticed that Casci maintains some a steady rate, which might indicate that they have an regular clientele.
May be Fodor's management can figure out to flag those messages that express agreement or disagreement with a recommendation.