Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tour begins near Verona-Where to before?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to take a week-long food/wine trip in June sponsored by my husband's university that will be based at an agritourismo near Verona. We would like to arrive in Italy prior to the tour and spend a few days in a different location. I would love to go to Padua but Venice is also a possibility. If we decide on Padua, should we stay there or stay in Venice (have been to Venice twice) and do day trips to Padua? Also considering Cinque Terre but think it will be too difficult to travel from there to Verona to begin tour. Where would you suggest flying into/out of? I know we can fly into Milan and take the train to Verona but am willing to investigate all options.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 01:51 PM

Absolute top-notch targets nearby: Padua, Vicenza, Ravenna.

Do those three in what little time you have and you'll be very happy. Look at the trains on www.trenitalia.com and pick where you'd like to stay - Padua is in the middle of course, 15 minutes from Vicenza, 26 minutes from Venezia S. Lucia, and some 2 hours from Ravenna.

If you don't want to go back to Venice, maybe Chioggia (a charming mini-Venice), on your way to Ravenna or on the way back (switch trains in Rovigo) could be good. Or take the boat from Chioggia into Venice, walk about a bit to refresh your memories, and take the train back to Padua.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 04:50 PM

--Where would you suggest flying into/out of? --

Where are you coming from? If it's the US, then the obvious choices are Milan or Venice. In either case, you will have to leave the airport and get to a train station. Mestre would be the station to use if you fly into Venice; it's a quick bus ride from Marco Polo airport. Milan is easy enough too.

I would base my choice on flight schedules and prices.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll be leaving from JFK but could also use Newark. Thinking flying into Milan May be cheaper than Venice.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 01:56 AM

Flights: these are a marketplace item, and price depends not so much on destination as on how many people want to go to a particular place at a particular time. Milan during Fashion Week, for example, would be an expensive choice. Venice may have fog delays, but it will be easier and cheaper to get to the towns suggested above. Compare carefully for your dates.

If you fly out of Newark, be careful to check the aircraft type for your flight before you make a reservation. The ex-Continental 757's reportedly give a new meaning to "cattle class."