Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   need help with comfortable shoes for wide feet? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-comfortable-shoes-for-wide-feet-255979/)

Pam Sep 5th, 2002 09:01 AM

need help with comfortable shoes for wide feet?

It seems there are many comfortable shoe affecianados on this board, so I was hoping to find a couple of you with wider feet -- i'm looking to buy a pair for upcoming europe trip, but most of the brands recommended on this board -- ecco, jpilner, seibel, etc. don't seem to come in wide sizes -- so which of the comfortable walking shoes are wide enough for wide feet -- ?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Pam

shoe Sep 5th, 2002 09:03 AM

What do you wear now?

janeygirl Sep 5th, 2002 09:08 AM

Try Naot. Every pair I've purchased have been incredibly comfortable and great for walking. (and I have wide feet and a high instep)

Trina Sep 5th, 2002 09:33 AM

I wear a 12D or wide....is there a website for naote? Or any other shoe manufacturer that someone can recommend? And....Please don't laugh at my shoe size....I'm a tall, big girl, so little feet just wouldn't do! ;-D

pam Sep 5th, 2002 09:36 AM

I wear mainly dress shoes -- easy spirit, naturalizer, department store brands -- but I'm pretty sure they don't have the comfort level i need for walking in all day

Pam Sep 5th, 2002 09:39 AM

I found naot's on some websites -- zappos.com -- but it looks like they only have sandals and slides

Webfoot Sep 5th, 2002 09:41 AM

I don't know how wide is wide, but I have triangular feet (wide in the front, but narrow in the back) and have found that both Seibel and Ecco often work even in their regular widths. So if you have a similar foot, you might want to go to the store and try on some of their styles that look wide across the front.

beth Sep 5th, 2002 09:43 AM

try www.zappos.com and cal them. they can help

Carol Sep 5th, 2002 10:33 AM

Pam Try Clark's. I wear their 3 strap sandals Spring, Summer and Fall and clog-type in the Winter. They are very comfortable and adjustable. Carol

xxx Sep 5th, 2002 10:36 AM

Yes, Clarks makes some very comfortable shoes... Also, have you tried Mephisto? And finally, if you're doing some extensive walking, you may want to see if any of the hiking boot manufacturers make walking-type shoes - people like Salomon, Meindl, Raichle, etc. Even Timberland.

Mel P Sep 5th, 2002 10:55 AM

I have like EE-EEE width feet and I do find that some of "comfy" shoe manufacturer shoes still fit me even in BCD widths like Ecco and Naturalizer, so don't discount them, I just have to try everything on and see.

louise Sep 5th, 2002 11:22 AM

I have the opposite problem - narrow feet - but I find that I just have to go to a shoe store, preferably one that specializes in "comfort shoes" and try on (almost literally) everything in the store. Some of the comfort-type shoes have a wide toe box that should make them feel better even if they are not labeled as "wide". And some of the shoes and sandals with velcro fasteners are very adjustable. Feet are so different person-to-person that even shoes that other people rave about might not be that comfortable for you. Just try on everything until you finally find "the one" and then (after wearing it a while to be sure) go back and buy several more pair.

Jed Sep 5th, 2002 11:22 AM

Go to google and type in "wide shoes". You will get more than you could ever want.

gina Sep 5th, 2002 11:42 AM

SAS shoes. The best. I wear size 7 1/2<BR>wide.

stve Sep 5th, 2002 12:54 PM

I agree with SAS shoes. As a man, I don't have knowledge of the women's shoes, but since they have several widths in man's sizes, I assume they do for women also. I have one friend who starts an annual 200 mile walk in Denmark wearing SAS shoes - size 13 wide - by the end of the walk he is up to wearig SAS size 15 extra wide!

Dallas Sep 5th, 2002 01:14 PM

Try www.daveswideshoes.com. Every kind of wide shoe you could ever want.

lscott4903 Sep 5th, 2002 01:27 PM

Agree with Clark's sandals. I have wide foot and usually have to mail order my shoes but can find Clarks in wide sizes in stores.

Mare Sep 5th, 2002 05:40 PM

I am petite but wear a six D. My feet are the bane of my existance. I also have a narrow heel, which makes things even worse. The most comfortable tie shoe I have found for travel is a pair of Hush Puppies with a square toe box. They aren't terribly fashionable, but they aren't hideous either.

rockport Sep 5th, 2002 05:50 PM

www.rockport.com<BR>wide, thick spongy soles, comfy<BR>ahhhh

Melissa Sep 5th, 2002 06:28 PM

And another vote for Clark's!