Need help with car rental for 6 people in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of four and two in-laws are traveling from the Naples region to Rome, then up to Venice in August. We need a car near Naples as we are visiting relatives in a small town in the hills.<BR><BR>I have three questions:<BR>1) Am I going to be paying a fortune to rent a mini-van (or whatever alternative would accommodate 6 people).<BR>2) Should I get rid of the car in Rome and take the train up to Venice? How long a trip is that?<BR>3) If yes, I should get rid of the car, what's the best way to get to Milan, where we fly out of, from Venice? Train, bus or plane?<BR><BR>Many thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 03:23 PM

Yes, a van--it will be manual.<BR>Yes, drop in Rome--if you are staying<BR>Train to Venice--5 hours<BR>Train to Milan--3 hours
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 03:33 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
lexeagle<BR><BR>As Bob says, but . . .<BR><BR>Check www.autoeurope.com<BR><BR>Mercedes V Trend Automatic 7 passenger Minivan is $1717 USD per week with pick up &amp; dropoff in Milan only.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 08:36 AM
Gino

Lexeagle,<BR>Paying for six train tickets twice will probably be more expensive than keeping the car for the entire trip. Do the math before deciding.

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:28 AM

This is a problem! A minivan would work but it is clumsy and too big for some small streets. I drove a VW van once and thought I was close to tipping over at times. This was probably my perception and not the fault of the van.<BR><BR>You could rent 2 cars. However, the guy in back may lose you at a traffic light or if spirited (reckless) drivers cut in between the 2 cars.<BR><BR>Gino is correct for saying that you need a calculator to see if one choice is much more expensive.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:28 AM

Six tix on Eurostar, Rome-Venice will cost 400 euros for first class or 270 euros for second. There was an option for a 'mini-group', several people traveling together on train with lesser charge. However I read on another thread about train travel in Italy that said this no longer was available ???<BR><BR>In addition to comparing cost for train tickets, also need to compute cost for parking (should you decide to keep car for entire trip). Once you're actually in Rome, you'll not need the car --- same thing when you go on to Venice --- will need to leave it parked there, especially if you're planning on staying on the island of Venice (preferable) versus Venice Mestre.<BR>