Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need help with B&B's outside big cities
Notices

Need help with B&B's outside big cities

Jun 5th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Need help with B&B's outside big cities

We are planning to arrive in Frankfurt, renting a car and spending aprox. 8 days driving around Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic. Returning the car in Berlin, visiting family not far from there for few days and flying back to States.
My husband has never been south of Germany, and I was hoping to show him how wonderful are the small cities and people that live there. Don't get me wrong, I love Vienna and Berlin, but we are in our 50's now, so backpacking through huge train stations is behind us.
We are thinking about driving in the direction: Frankfurt-Strasbourg-Basel-Zurich-Vaduz-Salzburg-Vienna-Praha-Berlin. So, please let me know if there is a little town around there that you remember, maybe a great little B&B, fantastic lunch you can still taste, or a view that took your breath away.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jun 5th, 2012, 12:43 PM

We absolutely love St. Gilgen on Wolfgangsee near Salzburg. We have been about 5 or 6 times now and never tire of it. There is a lovely little hotel called the Schernthaner run by Frau Eisl. She is such a joy to be around and treats all her guests like family. It is a two minute walk to the nearby lake.

Maybe it is what you ar elooking for:

http://www.hotel-schernthaner.at/sei...sh/index_e.htm

http://euroalps.eu/countries/austria...st__gilgen.htm
Jun 5th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

BettyK, I've already checked those out! It is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.
And Frau Eisl.. How can you go wrong?
Why anyone stays at Holiday Inn on their vacation?
Jun 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM

That's great McDeeTX. It's such a beautiful area with so much to do. You are very close to Salzburg as well as many other lovely lakeside towns such as Mondsee and St. Wolfgang. There is the Zwolferhorn funicular that you can take right there in St. Gilgen up in the mountains as well as the steam train up to Mt. Schafberg from St. Wolfgang.

I know you'll have a great time. Do a search here on Fodor's for other posts about St. Gilgen for more info. If you click on my name, you will find some of my trip reports where I talk about the area also.

Search this Thread