Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help with Autoeurope car drop-off in Derbyshire!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be picking a car up at Manchester airport, and will be returning it in Derbyshire. We will then be going to the Chesterfield train to catch a train back to London.

However, with Autoeurope, we have two drop-off points to pick from in Derbyshire. The two areas are:

1. Derby Downtown Office, Unit 1 Perkins Industrial Est

2. Derby Downtown Office, Beckett Street

Both their hours are exactly the same, but I'm not sure if they are with two different rental agencies.

We want to know which drop off point will be closer to the train station(we will probably have to catch a taxi to the train station). I checked with the michelin site, and they seemed relatively close to each other, but I wanted to get other's opinions.

Also, we have checked between autoeurope and kemwel - kemwel seemed about $50 cheaper... I know kemwel is the sister company to autoeurope, but is one company superior to the other? Should we request a diesel car to save money on gas?

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Just checked both Autoeurope and Kemwel again, and for some cars they had a basic price and a inclusive price that was about $200 more - is there a price increase because of additional insurance?
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I believe Beckett Street is in the city centre , and you can get a bus to the railway station. The industrial estate is in Manfsfield Road and seems to be some way out (the postcode is D23 as opposed to D1, which usually implies some way away).
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks nonconformist - someone from our group had wondered if Perkins Industrial was a bit outside the city center.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Its very simple, call them and ask. They might even offer to drop you at the station. I anm constantly suprised that people do not think of the obvious before posting on here
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM

I've rented with both Kemwel and Autoeurope in the UK; I usually pick the one which gives the best deal.

I've had equally good service with both although recently I was a bit put off when I attempted (eventually successfully) to cancel a Kemwel reservation and I got the third degree as to why? and then the agent tried to convince me that Hertz won't guarantee an automatic in Europe which is a crock.

The inclusive rate is higher because it does include some insurance coverage BUT even with that rate you would have to pay additional charges at the pick-up point to bring the deductible to zero.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM

AutoEurope is not a car rental agency. It's a broker/agent for various car rental companies.

In most likelihood, those two offices belong to two different companies. Since basically all companies will have office at Manchester airport, both return options are given to you.

But you may find prices different between the two, as each return location will dictate which company AutoEurope gives you.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Another vote for picking up a phone and calling AutoEurope at 1-800-223-5555 where someone can tell you specifically which agency each of those addresses is for and which will be the best for you. In fact, I have never booked AutoEurope on the internet -- but always call and book and have always gotten a better rate than what I found in the preliminary searches online.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Unit 1 Perkins Industrial Park is <b>Europcar</b>.

6 Beckett Street is <b>National</b>.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks rkkwan for the research in finding out which address was for which company. From spending some time here, it seems like some don't like europcar, but I'll have to do more research here on the board to find out.

Neopatrick,
Does autoeurope match the quotes of Kemwel? Have you only used autoeurope or have you used Kemwel also? I'll call up autoeurope and hopefully I'll get a better quote than the one online.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:24 AM

No, I've not used Kemwell. I've always been too happy with AutoEurope to make a switch.