Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help with Amalfi coast trip. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-amalfi-coast-trip-62039/)

Jim Feb 7th, 2000 07:43 PM

Need help with Amalfi coast trip.

I'm planning to take a week to ten day trip to Naples and the Amalfi Coast in early April.I have a few questions,first one: Is the weather nice at that time of year? My main reason to go is to splurge and take my partner to Positano for his 70th birthday. <BR>I've always dreamed of staying at Le Sirenuse. Do I need to book it immediately or is it OK to book last minute? I also would appreciate if someone could help me with suggestions for an itinerary. Should I fly to Rome and drive south? Should I fly into Naples? If I drive to the southernmost part of the Amalfi cost,can I take a train back and get rid of the car? I've never been south of Rome,how long should I stay in Naples,Sorrento etc,etc? I'm not Bill Gates so I cant afford to stay in every city at places like Le Sirenuse, so if you could suggest some "boutique" type reasonably priced hotels that would be great as well. <BR>I know I ask a lot but I'm sure that there are many of you out there that have done the trip several times since it's so beautiful. <BR>Thanks for your help.

lisa Feb 7th, 2000 08:45 PM

Hi Jim, The only places that I have been south of Rome are Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. We stayed in Sorrento which is beautiful and took a day trip to Pompeii. Then we went over to Capri and ended up staying two nights because we loved it. We only had a train switch in Naples for a couple of hours so I can't tell you much except the area around the train station is pretty seedy. Good Luck

Dona Feb 8th, 2000 05:28 AM

Jim, <BR> <BR>I did that trip a few years ago. I was there longer so I went to a few other places - but this is what I would do if I had 10 days... <BR> <BR>Fly into Naples. Stay in Naples for 2 nights (1 is to cover the jet lag of the 1st day, and the 2nd to explore the wonderful city). I stayed at the Hotel Miramare - a small hotel right on the bay of Naples - lovely... <BR> <BR>Boat to Capri - stay 2 nights ( I stayed at Scalinatella - which is not inexpensive but is probably one of the most beautiful I have been to). There are so many hotels there, you can choose any one of them and still be ok. You would want to stay overnight - at least one night since Capri changes totally after the last tour boat leaves. <BR>Boat to Positano - and I would book Le Sireneuse asap since you don't want to be shut out if that is your dream. I stayed there and loved it... Somehow, I had a car "delivered" to me at the hotel (a travel agent took care of it but the hotel may be able to help with that) - and we drove the coast. Be sure to see Pompeii - it's incredibly unique. <BR> <BR>Good luck with your planning and let me know if I can be of assistance... <BR> <BR>Dona

Elsa Feb 29th, 2000 11:55 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>In re. to Jim's post: <BR> <BR>1) Can anyone tell us about the weather in mid-Apr.? <BR> <BR>2) I don't think there is a train that you can take along the Amalfi coast, but maybe someone knows for sure if this is the case. <BR> <BR>3) Does anyone know anything about a boat from Naples to Positano? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Elsa

richard j vicek Feb 29th, 2000 03:16 PM

Good evening, Elsa <BR>1. April weather, Naples/Campania <BR>Aver. Hi of 66 deg f. <BR>Aver. low of 54 deg f. <BR>7 hrs average sunshine per day <BR>2.3" average rainfall. <BR> <BR>2. A railroad runs from Naples to <BR>Sorrento, but not on the Amalfi Side. <BR>A bus runs from Sorrento to Salerno <BR>running the full length of the Amalfi <BR>Drive. (see www.uniplan.it/sita.) <BR> <BR>3.Am almost sure that there is a boat <BR>running from Amalfi to Capri at certain <BR>times of the year, and from Naples to <BR>Capri operates all year round.. Go into: <BR>www.syrene.it/ <BR>www.sorrentoweb.com/ <BR>www.starnet.it/italy/amalficoast/ <BR>www.caprionline.it/ <BR>www.infomare.it/indexuk.htm/ <BR>Good surfing, <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il... <BR>