Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   need help with 1st visit to switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-with-1st-visit-to-switzerland-756431/)

borivlikar1 Dec 11th, 2008 08:12 PM

need help with 1st visit to switzerland

Hi all,

Our first time here on fodors. Please help. here are the facts.

1.) have time from may 1 to may 9th.
2.) want to do zurich-interlaken-zermatt route and another possible city/country.
3.) wife me and 3 yr old son( son have food allergies). no nuts of any kind for him.
accompanying us sis-in-law and elderly mother who cant walk much.Mother prefers indian food so any kitchenettes in the living accommodations would be helpful but not absolutely necessary.
4.) we are vegetarians.
5.) would like to rent apts or suites kind of setting.
6.) want to do scenic train rides/cable cars/go beyond just tourist spots.

any ideas how to plan this trip?tips ot do this as economically as possible without sacrificing?

Thanks.

DalaiLlama Dec 11th, 2008 09:21 PM

With your various and very specific needs you have to reduce that program under item nr. 2).

Your only chance at making this trip a success, with nobody getting unhappy or sick or worse, is to stay in one place for the duration. Make it a place where you have the health-food stores you need, where the vegetarian lifestyle is catered for, and where you can have food that your mother can eat. Swiss food is cheese and milk based, and Indian food is not available in too many places.

For those needs, and for the geographic versatility, I suggest Bern. The health food stores (called Reformhaus) are:

Ruprecht AG Christoffelgasse 7, Bern - +41 31 311 25 25

Egli Bern Neuengasse 43, Bern - +41 31 311 47 06

Müller Reformhaus Vital Shop AG  G.-de-Courgenay-Platz 4, Bern - +41 31 992 13 81

Another advantage of Bern: It is the capital city of Switzerland, the seat of the Swiss Government, so the many embassies from all different countries are located there and you can find supplies that you would not find in other places, especially not in smaller mountain towns.

To rent an apartment where you can live the way you are used to, go to www.google.com and input <Ferienwohnung Bern>

Ferien is holidays (vacations in the US) in German, wohnung is apartment.

Start looking at wbsites like

www.happyholiday.ch/1/schweiz/bern-01.htm

http://www.holiday-home.com/ferienha...eiz-bern-1.htm

http://ferienwohnung-ferienhaus.ch/schweiz/bern-01.htm

http://vacantis.com/Bern.1.php

You have to know that if it says Bern as the address it may be a long way from the city of Bern - because the name Bern also applies to the Canton (like a state) of which the city of Bern is also the capital city. Look at maps and get used to using google maps to locate things - you should stay in or near the city of Bern to have access to everything you need.

For your daytrips to go sightseeing, Bern has fast trains leaving in all directions, like Interlaken and the Berner Oberland, but Zermatt is too far away for a daytrip, you would have to stay two nights - maybe some of you can do it while others stay back?

For trains look at www.sbb.ch.

How much it costs I don’t know (I stay with private when I’m there).

gruezi Dec 11th, 2008 11:40 PM

Borivlikar,

I also think Bern is a nice place for a base. I work there and live in Zurich. Bern seems to have a larger ethnic population than Zurich so you may find more places appealing to your palate concerns.

Over Zermatt, I would recommend the Wengen/Murren area for the cable rides and scenery you are seeking but you will have to confer with others regarding food. Your choices will be much more limited. I just find Zermatt less charming than the other area.

Lastly, I will warn you that nuts - especially hazelnuts - do seem to end up in everything here in Switzerland. If it is a severe allergy, pack your epi-pens. Be sure you know how to ask about nuts in German... Most Swiss in the cities speak English although regarding food I have found the real understanding of your request will vary from person to person.

Have a great trip!

gruezi

traveller1959 Dec 12th, 2008 12:53 AM

Print this:

"Mein Sohn darf keine Nüsse essen. Er hat eine schwere Allergie gegen Nüsse jeder Art."

(My son must not eat nuts. He is allergic to any kinds of nuts.)

Be especially careful with:

- chocolates (many contain nuts, even if you can't see them)
- desserts
- cakes
- Müsli (mixed cereals)

If you buy food products in a supermarket you may read the list of ingredients which is printed on the wrapper. Many products have it in English too.

I second the proposal to stay in Bern. From there, you can make easy daytrips to Luzern, to Interlaken, into breathtaking mountain scenery and to Zürich.

Especially in Bern, you will find vegetarian restaurants and restaurants with vegetarian food. However, many vegetarian dishes contain nuts.

ira Dec 12th, 2008 07:22 AM

HI bo,

You have such a short time, I suggest that you stay in Switzerland.

((I))

worldclass Dec 12th, 2008 08:32 AM

with the 5 of you travelling together, you will find some great deals on train and transportation in general where you pay one fare that is good for up to 5 people. ditto with entrance fees to some attractions. switzerland is prob one of the european countries that is very family friendly from a transportation and sightseeing cost standpoint. i must say tho, that eating out is quite expensive.

check out railpasses before you leave for your trip. once you've decided on your planned trips, you can price it out to see if you end up with net savings vs buying train tickets at the station, as you need them. you also might want to consider that some rail passes give you free admission to certain attractions and museums.

have fun planning your trip. you've come to the right place for advice. there are many knowledgeable posters here, and some are residents of switzerland. can't get better than that.

enzian Dec 12th, 2008 09:13 AM

A couple of comments---

For the child, in addition to what has already been mentioned, be careful of breads and pastries. Many have nuts or a nut filling. Learn to recognize the German for various kinds of nuts (Erdnuss (peanut), Mandel (almond), etc. Some foods will be fine and worry-free---Rösti, Alplermacaroni (macaroni and cheese). You will also find fruit, yogurt, and cheese in abundance.

Indian food is actually not that hard to find in the Bernese Oberland region, thanks to the Swiss effort to welcome the Indian film industry. There is a brochure called "Switzerland for Movie Stars" which lists restaurants with Indian and vegetarina food. It's a pdf so the link is difficult, but I'll try:

www.filmlocation.ch/uploads/indian_films.pdf

If that doesn't work, google "Switzerland for Movie Stars" and it will pop right up. It is worth a look just for the lovely photos.

Apartments are sometimes difficult to book for less than a week, but in May that may not be a problem.

Some of the scenic cablecars shut down in May for maintenance, but I believe the train to the Jungfraujoch runs all the time. I can check on specifics and post back later.

If you would consider staying in the car-free village of Mürren instead of Interlaken, I can suggest an apartment which would work very well for your family. It is about a 1/2 km walk from the train station, but it is a level walk.

Zermatt is very spread out, so you probably want something close to the train station and grocery store, or close to an electrobus stop.

PalenQ Dec 12th, 2008 09:54 AM

For the train travels described in OP a Swiss Railpass (Swiss Saverpass - two or more names on one pass for a discount per person) of some type will be a great deal - better than the half-off pass, Swiss Card or Swiss Transfer ticket. And kids 15 and under get a free pass to match the adults. covers you in full to Zermatt and to Interlaken and up to Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren in the hills. Also covers lake boats on the two lakes the wedge Interlaken on either side - 3 yr old will delight in a short boat cruise on these paddle wheel steamers. also good on city transports, postal buses, etc. Three good sites for info on Swiss transports, trains and passes - www.swisstravelsystem.com - links you to sbb.ch - Swiss Railways site and scenic trains, lake boats, etc.; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - the last two sites give lots of objective info on Switzerland as well as the usual pass prices, etc. the latter one lets you download their free European Planning & Rail Guide that has a good chapter on Switzerland with rail maps, etc. Fodor Swiss experts like Dolly Lama, Enzian, Swanay2000 (?) and Schuler (amongst others) are perhaps your very best resources though so keep asking questions.

suze Dec 12th, 2008 11:31 AM

You only have 8 days on the ground, and 3 cities already scheduled. You definitely don't have time to add another city/country.

FainaAgain Dec 12th, 2008 11:57 AM

As for people who can't walk much: Switzerland was surprisingly easy for me, easy hikes, flat surfaces, not many stairs, lifts in many places (confirm your hotel has a lift).

As for being vegetarian: this is not that easy. You'll have to know where special restaurants are, or cook yourself, or snack all day. In most restaurants, if you don't speak the local dialect, they won't understand or accomodate you.

Picnicking helps, plentry of veggie food in stores.

DalaiLlama Dec 12th, 2008 08:29 PM

FainaAgain has it right, the food situation could be critical for you, that's why I gave the suggestion of the city of Bern where i know for sure that there are the health-food shops I indicated earlier. There are also vegetarian restaurants:

One is called Vatter, on the corner of Spitalgasse and Bärenplatz, enter from Bärenplatz, the restaurant is upstairs (one level up, there is a lift), above their street-level shop where the veggies are in the basement. This is in the very center of town.

Another is Tibits, also in the very center of town, practically in the central train station building itself (but street level, not down by the trains), website
www.tibits.ch/d/restaurants-take-away/bern/

Now for Indian food in Bern: Go to this website:
www.akul.ch/about.htm - it is Indian/Sri Lankan food

It is very close to the station, still in a central location, 3 or 4 stops on the tram from the Bahnhofplatz (the central tram hub outside the station). Akul also has restaurants in Zürich, Winterthur, and Basel, so if you make daytrips in those directions, you know where to stop and eat.

Another, where you have to show up early for dinner, they serve food from 11AM to 6PM (but they don't close the kitchen in the afternoon unlike most Swiss restaurants):
Hier und Jetzt
Bubenbergplatz 10,
3011 Bern,
Tel 031/ 311 72 71
www.hier-und-jetzt.ch

Die Quelle - Ort der Begegnung, Museumstrasse 10, 3005 Bern, Tel. 031 333 99 09
www.die-quelle.ch

If you make an excursion towards the Berner Oberland, you can stop for a meal in Thun at the Ayurveda Restaurant Madhura, Obere Hauptgasse 55, 3600 Thun, Tel. 078 898 86 26 - right by the castle.

This would be a great target for a daytrip to see the mountains: Take a morning train from Bern to Thun, visit the castle (open from 10-17h daily), have lunch at the Ayurveda Restaurant, take a boat to the Beatenbucht stop, take the funiculaire (or whatever its technical term is) up the mountain to the Beatenberg level, and - if you're game - take the other contraption up to the Niederhorn. Wow!

Check it out at www.niederhorn.ch/

For ships on Lake Thun: www.bls.ch/schiff/index_e.html

On another excursion into the countryside you can stop by this one:
Natur-Paradies, Kohlersacker, 3150 Schwarzenburg, Tel. 031 731 03 51 oder 079 66 99 17
www.natur-paradies.ch - I am not clear from the website if it is a restaurant, but it is a bed and breakfast with a natural healing orientation - maybe you should look to stay there? You can email them and ask:
[email protected]

Schwarzenburg is only 35 minutes from Bern by the regional/suburban train line S6, so if tht is a Bed + Breakfast that can cater to your needs and is otherwise nice - this would be a fine location, so close to the city of Bern.

Hope this helps.

enzian Dec 12th, 2008 08:42 PM

I am sure that DalaiLlama knows Switzerland better than I do but . . . on 5 visits there we have never had any trouble finding vegetarian meals wherever we go. Vegan is a problem, but vegetarian? No. Almost every menu has vegetarian options in salads, pizza, and pasta. And Roesti of course!

And the grocery stores carry a wide selection of foods you can eat. I have food issues myself (no gluten) and travel with 3 vegetarians, and we have never felt the need to confine ourselves to Reformhaus food. Even in the mountain villages, the selection and quality of food in the grocery stores (especially the Coop and Migros stores) is excellent.

I would hate to see you confine yourselves to a single city in Switzerland and miss the beauty and peace of the mountain villages because of this.

kleeblatt Dec 13th, 2008 05:54 AM

There are tons of vegetarians in Switzerland. I can count ten right off the top of my head.

You shouldn't have a problem finding vegetarian meals in most places you go. The hot vegetable plate is something you can order in almost 90% of the restaurants.

- Indian food will be a bigger problem but I heard they even serve in the restaurant on top of the Jungfrau.

DalaiLlama Dec 13th, 2008 06:31 AM

Schuler and Enzian are both right, of course, in a general sort of sense, which isn't exactly helpful in this specific case; yes, there are probably a bunch of other places where the entire family could be staying and obtain the things that they so specifically stated they need.

I happen to know Bern better than other such potentially suitable places, and I know that in a Reformhaus people are willing and able to listen and to advise when the food labels don't spell out the ingredients sufficiently, or when it is difficult to understand and translate the food labels such as they are.

Bern also allows the easy travel in all directions, has many trams and buses for the reduced mobility as stated, and has the shops and attractions concentrated in a conveniently confined area.

Consider just what the needs are that OP has stated - the dangers of the nuts allergy, and the restricted mobility, and the Indian diet (meaning mostly no dairy if my Indian friends have it right..that excludes Röschti unless you know for sure just how it was made, and that's only the beginning), and when you consider how tedious and uncertain it is to read the food labels in a foreign language...

So, please, folks, be pro-active and suggest other workable options, these people have stated their specific needs, so offer helpful specifics, not just broad generalities that don't advance their planning.

Das chöit dr doch, oder?

PalenQ Dec 13th, 2008 07:45 AM

Too bad veggitarriens will miss out on those famous little sausages from South America - the ones that were in short supply.

suze Dec 13th, 2008 08:05 AM

Sorry I can't be more specific as suggested above, but I DO think this trip would go smoother if they find 1 apartment to rent in 1 location for the entire 8 days, and moved around on the train for sight-seeing and day trips.

That would make easier: vegetarian eating, son's nut allergies, and mom's limited mobility, and desire to cook indian style.

enzian Dec 13th, 2008 08:09 AM

Not to get argumentative, but dairy figures prominently in the diet of the Indian people I know here in the US---panir, yogurt, ghee, etc. It is their main protein source. They do not eat eggs, but dairy foods are staples.

Perhaps borivlikar1 can clarify his family's dietary preferences.

My understanding from their choice of places to visit is that they want to enjoy the scenic beauty of Switzerland--especially lakes and mountains. I am confident that it is possible for them to stay in the areas they want, including Interlaken and Zermatt (or another mountain village) if they wish---and eat well and safely, particularly if they have a kitchen and can cook for themselves.

On the other hand, perhaps they have been persuaded to spend their week at an apartment in Bern and day-trip from there. Again, perhaps borivlikrar1 can clarify before we offer more suggestions that might not address what they really want to do.

borivlikar1 Dec 13th, 2008 11:34 AM

Hi guys,

You have all been fantastic. I am glad i registered on fodors.

I believe i have some explaining to do abt our trip so that you can help me better.

Me, my wife and my sis in law will pretty much eat anything vegetarian( including eggs and dairy) so any combinations of pasta, bread,cheese are more than welcome. no salads though...and no alcohol,no fish, no meat,no chicken.

son loves mac-n-cheese,noodles,biscuits or cookies or whatever you call them,pancakes,some fruits and loves bread. But anything containing nuts in whatever form and he will puke his guts out.( sorry for being gross...but just being honest.)

The mother in law is unfortunately diabetic and hasnt been adventurous beyond indian food but will accomodate fried food, pizza possibly. I went the route of renting apts or the like because ----everyone would stay together
--- i can monitor everyone
---would be cheaper
---we can cook meals within the ingredients available( which would reduce costs if restaurants are expensive)
---need to look into safety and security aspects as well.

I dont know why but the idea of the base in bern and doing daytrips might be hectic because of the traveling and plus we dont participate in the local culture if we dont stay locally. Second our visting patterns are dictated by train schedules.What might be better for us if you could break up our trip in 2-3 days each or perhaps 4 days in 2 diff locations from where everything might be convenient. Morning everyone is gung ho..but evenings and nights might be different to keep going to bern. But tell me what u feel is appropriate. it is ok to sit in florida and want to move thru switzerland and have the craziest itineraries.

Furthermore I am not the most tech savvy person....so trying to figure out google to search a good centrally located apt might end up in the wrong location.

I am willing to pay more for apts or houses or homes...that are centrally located from public transportation,grocery supermarkets,pharmacies. especically public transportation. So any local help might help.

Some have suggested abt family passes...please shed some more light on that. I didnt know something like it existed. so you are saving me 'mucho francs" there.

We picked May because its less touristy, hopefully weather is between winter and summer, and because hopefully we can keep costs down. If there is any way we can plan just a day or two to paris or rome somehow....please please tell us to work it out. Tickets to zurich from florida are running about 1200 to 1300$ each.....and we would like to pack another city if it is possible especially with overnite trains or anything like that. But if it is impractical then please say so.

Some specific q's:
1.) need names of grocery supermarkets.
2.) need advice on whether second class or first class is better for panoramic trains.
3.) how do pharmacies work? we are pharmacists and know what medications we might need for any condition. but is everything prescription strength only like america?
4.)where do i get a 120 v to 220 v voltage converter that is of good quality?
5.)please shed more light on youth hostels/camping sites if they are of any use in our specific case. But in whichever case, we need private baths.
6.) how about renting a minivan or something and lugging the whole family around? I personally prefer public transportation.

On myswitzerland.com they have travel itineraries for 3/5/7/10 days. i chose one of those iti's to do zrh-interlaken-zermatt. that's where i got the idea wherein we would tweak their planning to our condition.

Please let my post be informative to you...not decisive.Your bits of info will help me make the final call.

Sorry for writing such a big post...but i needed to help you to help me better.

enzian Dec 13th, 2008 01:40 PM

Hello again borivlikar1,

That makes it much easier for us to help you!!!

The weather in early May is changeable, as it is spring. At the lower elevations you should have spring flowers; the weather in the mountains could be lovely or it could be cloudy.

The Zürich-Interlaken-Zermatt route would work, with 3 nights each in Interlaken and Zermatt. But Zermatt is the least likely to have good weather. And if you really do want to visit Paris, say, you would do better to spend your last few days in Switzerland on or near Lac Leman (Lake Geneva), as there are direct trains to Paris from Lausanne, taking about 4 hours. This could work IF you could get your plane tickets into Zürich and out of Paris. Otherwise, you are taking too much time away from Switzerland to get to Paris.

You need not actually stay in Lausanne; there are some charming small towns along the lake, like Vevey. You could visit Zermatt on a daytrip from there. Just some thoughts.

Since you mentioned panoramic trains, you must be thinking of scenic trains like the Golden Pass Route. This would work very well and put you on Lac Leman at the end. Maybe do something like this: arrive in Zürich and take the direct train to Luzern for 2 nights. The trains depart from the airport, so it is very easy. Once on hour there is a direct train, with no changes, to Luzern; otherwise you make one change at the main Zürich station.

Two nights there would give you a chance to rest and recover from the flight, and you could enjoy a cruise on the beautiful lake, or ride a cablecar or cogwheel train up Rigi.

From Luzern, the Golden Pass route takes you to the Interlaken area, where you could stay three nights and explore the Bernese Oberland mountain region.

If you wish to actually stay in Interlaken, this self-catering apartment sleeps five, is on the ground floor, and is one block from a Migros grocery store.

http://www.lotschberg.ch/e_susisbb.php

We haven't stayed there personally, as we always continue on into the mountains instead of stopping in Interlaken. But Interlaken is a good-sized city which might work well for you. It is situated between two lakes and there are some views to the mountains.

If you want to stay closer to the mountains, you could consider Lauterbrunnen, a 20-minute train ride past Interlaken. This is situated in a beautiful valley that looks much like Yosemite Valley, with waterfalls cascading down the cliffs. Page through the photos on this site:

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-ima...erbrunnen.html

From Interlaken, you could continue on the Golden Pass route to Montreux, where it ends. There are several train changes even though it has the same name. From Montreux, transfer to your home for the next three nights---to be decided. Note: this is the French-speaking region of Switzerland.

If Lac Leman does not appeal to you, you could instead head to the south from Interlaken and stay in Kandersteg, a nice village surrounded by mountains, or continue south (through a tunnel) to the Valais region, and even on to Zermatt if you like.

I think you need opinions from others on these choices.

I'll try to address your specific questions:

1) groceries--the two major grocery chains are Migros and Coop; they are very well-stocked with a variety of foods and produce. You should be able to find everything you desire---but your mother might like to bring along her own special spices for cooking.

2) we've always only used second class on Swiss trains, even on the Golden Pass route. First class gets you more space and a less-crowded car, but we've never had a problem finding seats in second. Some people like to reserve the "VIP" very special seats in the front of the panoramic car, but. . . it's expensive. You still get a very good view from the regular cars; it is jut to the side instead of ahead.

3) pharmacies---Swiss pharmacists have the authority to do some prescribing on their own, but for most drugs that would require a doctor's prescription in the US would also require one in Switzerland. It is best to bring with you a supply of what you might need (along with a copy of the prescription).

4) I'll let someone else answer this. apparently there are two different kinds--maybe a converter and and a transformer? Some electronic equipment takes one particular kind. We "fried" our daughter's camera battery charger by using the wrong type. You will also need a plug converter.

5) I don't think camping will work for your family. Hostels possibly might; there is one in Vevey with family rooms, I believe. But try first to find apartments that are fully-equipped (including bedding, as the one I mentioned above does).

6) The trains work so well in Switzerland, and are coordinated with the boats, gondolas, and cablecars. It is easy and convenient, and a real pleasure to use such an excellent public transport system.

Okay, now it's someone else's turn. . .

DalaiLlama Dec 13th, 2008 02:17 PM

It is not normally possible to rent an apartment with all the conveniences of home for just two or three days. Also, I think that moving house every few days, finding and settling into new lodgings, exploring the neighborhood for the kinds of shops and restaurants you need - that will leave very little time to actually enjoy the vacation. Better to do that once, in one location, and then make the most of the surroundings.

It doesn’t have to be Bern, but the smaller and more tourist-specialized the towns, like those in the mountains, the fewer choices for the specialties you need.

Forget Paris or Rome for this trip - look up a map and you’ll realize just how far they are.

About your list:

1) Migros and Coop are two big ones that you find most everywhere.

2) Second class is just fine, but it gets crowded during rush hour. First class can also get crowded, but the idea at least is that you pay more and you get not just slighty larger seats but a bit more quiet... Doesn’t always work that way in this age of crowded trains and loud cellphone talkers.

3) There are two kinds of “pharmacies” in Switzerland: The real Pharmacy is called Apotheke where the dispensing pharmacist has more license to supply you with meds than the pharmacist in the US. As a pharmacist yourself you will know how to explain your needs. These shops do not stay open for the kinds of long hours you may be used to from the US, and they are not normally franchises inside other stores. On weekends there is only one Apotheke where you can call and they come and open up for emergencies, the police will know which one it is on a given weekend, and the newspaper publishes it (but you'd have to know how to look for it, of course).

The other type is called Drogerie, the kind of shop more like a drugstore in the US, has over-the-counter stuff and household chemicals etc.

4) Have a look at your equipment - these days most AC adapters and such are built for both voltages, from 100/110 (US) all the way to 220/240 (Europe). If that is the range on yours, then all you need is the little adapter piece that has the US-sized holes on one side and the European-sized prongs on the other, just to make the US plug physically fit into the holes in the wall.
But either way, many US stores have these, converters (which you may not need) and adapters - see Target etc. or travel outfitters, no need to order online, but www.magellans.com has them if that’s what you want.

5) I don’t think you want to be roughing it camping, not on such a short trip - where would you get all the equipment from in the little time you have? And it still gets cold in May...

Youth hostels can be quite nice, some even have a communal kitchen, some may have private baths if you book the family units. Look them up at www.youthhostel.ch.

6) Not sure about that minivan idea. Public transport is so incredibly good, trains to everywhere, lots of them, and if there is no train there is a coach (Postauto) or bus, and the timetables are synchronized so if you have to make a switch there is always a connection.

Those dietary restrictions in your family will not be easy to accommodate. You really need to be advised by knowledgeable locals, there could be nuts in the cooking oil and in breads and other bakery items, and in other items, too; there could be meat in dishes that you think have no meat ingredients (like lard or bacon bits in the famous Swiss Röschti which appears to be just a potato dish like hash browns).

Now I hope you will get concrete suggestions from others, rather than just generalizations - some of the posters here live in Switzerland, how about coming through with apartments and agencies etc.? I only visit now and then, so my resources are limited.

Good luck.