Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help when Balloons start? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-when-balloons-start-1682957/)

AndrewFira Jul 15th, 2020 05:00 AM

Need help when Balloons start?

I am fed up with changing dates again and again. I had booked my international flights and a package to Cappadocia for April. Due to Corona virus, i had to postpone everything. Afterwards, changed the dates to September but agency i booked this previously https://www.cappadociaballoontours.n...-days-1-night/ but now they say balloons are not going to fly until October. I asked whether its guaranteed that they will fly or not and they said we have no guarantee and decision is taken by balloon companies. My wife is blaming me that i could not find proper answer(!) Is there anybody out there to me something accurate so i can make better planning and do not want to pay penalty for changing international flights anymore over and over again

Tulips Jul 15th, 2020 07:09 AM

Hi Andrew, welcome to Fodors!
Unfortunately nobody can predict what will happen. You will not find anyone on this site or anywhere else that can give you an answer.
Stay home and stay safe.

Sassafrass Jul 15th, 2020 08:55 AM

First, I want your wife to know that even if YOU scheduled everything Perfectly, once you are there, weather and winds may prevent balloon flights and there would be absolutely nothing you could do. High winds make it unsafe, especially landings. Summer can be very difficult because heat can make it Very unsafe. Air in the balloon has to be so much hotter than the air on the ground in order for the balloon to rise. In winter, you freeze.

Now, some advice. The company you are working with is a tour company, not the balloon company. If you have booked a one night tour, you have only one chance to do the balloon flight. If you can just cancel this tour, or make it at least two nights, you are Much better off.

Here is what I recommend.

Wait until next year to do your trip. Check weather averages there for the months you are looking at. Before re-booking international flights, check dates for when the balloons will be flying and which months are most prone to cancellations. Stay at least two nights because that gives you two mornings for balloon flights. You book for the first morning you are there. Then you have a second chance in case the first is cancelled.

Cancel the tour. Get your own flight tickets to Cappadocia. Choose a nice hotel in the area. We like the cave hotels. Ask the hotel to book airport transportation for you. It is easy. There are vans that meet every flight and take people to their hotels. You can book your own balloon flights or let the hotel do it. Check the company’s safety records. We choose Butterly, but others are also good. In the wee hours of the morning the balloon companies send their vans around to hotels to pick up people taking their flights.
Let the hotel book a driver to take you to some of the sights or rent a car. Honestly, this is the easiest trip you will ever take. Leave some or most of the planning to your hotel. We opted for a driver for return to the airport. Higher cost, but easy and no waiting on anyone else. Taxis and drivers are reasonably priced, but roads are good if you want to drive yourself. Turkey was our all time favorite trip and Cappadocia was the highlight, so do not shortchange the time there. Two nights is minimum.
We did Istanbul and all of the flights on our own. It was easy. No need for a tour. If you have more questions, just ask.

otherchelebi Jul 18th, 2020 10:21 AM

Sassafrass, great answer. I hope the OP appreciates it and shows his appreciation.

Sassafrass Jul 18th, 2020 11:26 AM

Otherchelebi, Thank you. When we were doing the trip, people on here helped me so much, patiently answering all my questions. One recommended what turned out to be a perfect hotel. Another told me all about balloons, how they are made, etc. I looked for the old posts, but did not find them. It was our best trip. It was too short.
I am the trip planner in our family. I am lucky. When I screw up or things go wrong, DH rescues me if possible, and never complains.

jamesasher9416 Oct 23rd, 2020 05:05 AM

they're flying now

My friend just visited there a few days ago, they're working

yorkshire Oct 23rd, 2020 06:51 AM

There is so much more to Cappadocia than the balloon ride. We skipped it and it is still one of the most magical places we have ever been. Just go and if you get to do a balloon ride count it as a bonus.

KTtravel Oct 25th, 2020 06:21 PM

I agree with trying to stay a few nights in the area. We had our balloon ride cancelled one morning due to winds (which we barely noticed) but the balloons flew the next morning.

Sassafrass Oct 25th, 2020 08:24 PM

The OP has not returned. Maybe he has gone with a travel agent. Anyway, I agree about Cappadocia being amazing, even without a balloon flight, but DH and I both think it was an unforgettable travel experience, especially there. Turkey really was our Trip of a Life Time. It has everything: Culture, history, food, architecture and landscape.