Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help w/Spain: Northern or Southern coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Spain from June 24-July 5, maybe a few days longer. Although we've traveled quite a bit through Europe, this is our first trip to Spain. We're beginning in Madrid and I can't decide what to do next. Barcelona and a nothern coastal town from there? Or, Seville and a southern coastal town? I don't want to try and cover too much ground, would rather pick 3 places to linger a bit. We are both deeply interested in art and history, but would also like to splurge and relax for a few days in a beach resort before heading back to New York City. We tend to prefer quieter places, but are also game for fighting the crowds if it's worth it. I would be incredibly thankful for input and advice.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM

The Costa del Sol has the best weather during the late winter through spring and in the late fall, but tends to be overrun and hot in the summer. In late June and early July I'd head north to the Basque Coast, from Bilbao (Getxo) to Biarritz (Pays Basque). It's less crowded than the southern coast. The Costa Brava is also very nice at that time of the year. The crowds begin to arrive after the 1st of July.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
>We are both deeply interested in art and history

South. With a stop at Alhambra.

For a beach idyll see http://www.jpmoser.com/paraisodelmar.html

Ian

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Have a look at Nerja. We are doing a trip to Spain and will spend a week in Nerja after Barcelona, Sevilla and the Pueblos Blancos.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM

I'd prefer the north coast at that time of year. I drove the coast from Picos Europa (specacular) through to Biarritz around the same time of year. The weather was sunny and warm (mid-70s).
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear brooklyn132:

We were in N. Spain last June and spent time on the Basque coast and the Costa Brava & Barcelona. Both are great. Basque Coast has the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the Chillida museum near San Sebastian. Barcelona has Gaudi and up the coast is the very quaint Cadeques, home of Dali, and the Dali Museum in Figueres. Here is a link to our trip report:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34828166

Warning: this report is very long & boring, but I hope it helps. If you went to Barcelona & Cadeques on the Med. Coast, you could then fly home from BCN.

MY
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone. After spending the day with guide books yesterday, I think Ian is right. We're hearing the siren call of the Alhambra! We're going to divide our time between Madrid, Seville and Granada, forgoing the beach idea and avoiding the coast this trip. MIchellle I'm booking marking your report for future reference. Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Hi brooklyn , it might get hot, but I think you are right. For next trip if you like art try Castille and Leon I think it is fascinating and there so many things to see.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Ian

brooklyn132

Here's is a link to my report. http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/spain2.htm

We went the same time of year. Madrid was an absolute furnace. And Andalusia was very hot. You have to 'go native' by concentrating your toursit duties in the morning, have a late lunch & an afternoon siesta to survive & enjoy.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

A great video to see beforehand is http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56312207897325 (When the Moors Ruled in Europe)

Ian
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Ian, your report is great. I'm prepared for the heat, having traveled through sultry summer europe before. You're right, the key is to do as the natives do. As soon as I have a chance to digest, I'll definitely have a few more questions.
thank you!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi, again, Ian. OK, I'm pretty sure we've decided after leaving Madrid, we're going to take the high-speed to Seville for 3 nights. Then hop in a car and drive over to Granada for 3 nights. The car will give us a chance to explore the 'neighborhood' if we want. I wish we had a few more nights for the beach, but we have to head home for a family reunion in New England. Grrrrr. Your report was great and helped me get a feel for driving times,etc. Although I'm tempted to fit a night in a posada somewhere along the way from Seville to Granada, I'm worried that will just keep us in a car more than is wise. We're chosing hotels in Seville and Granada that have pools so we can enjoy lazy afternoons. Thanks again for your input and travel report. I see you're from Canada.. I grew up in Rochester, NY, so I understand how your summers -- with that lovely Canadian breeze -- feel a bit different than Southern Spain in late June.
thanks again,
Cynthia (aka: Brooklyn132)
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:06 AM

I think you would enjoy visiting Cordoba, which can be easily done as a day trip by train from Sevilla. Be sure to tour the Alhambra at night.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

whoops, I meant parador (not posada!). Definitely stopping in Cordoba, too... thanks
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Ian

Cynthia

Sounds like you have the start of a plan. Glad I could help.

We plan to return. But there was China in Feb for our son's wedding. And a Hungary trip coming up in June . . . someday . . .

Ian

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, brooklyn,

now you're decided on the south, make sure that you get your alhambra reservations as soon as you can. In the summer, the evening visits wil be magical and it's well worth doing both night and day visits. if you search this site, you'll find plenty of tips for booking the tickets, other things to see in granada etc.

good luck!

regards, ann