Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help w/ route for 10 nts Switzerland, before or after Italy!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-w-route-for-10-nts-switzerland-before-or-after-italy-917478/)

travelfan1 Jan 1st, 2012 01:22 PM

Need help w/ route for 10 nts Switzerland, before or after Italy!!!

I really need some guidance on this part of our trip. We're changing our itinerary to take in Switzerland...I have 10 nights, we're primarily interested in the Alps/scenery and small/quaint towns....looking at the Berner Oberland area, would like to work in Appenzell if possible and the Bernina Express. Would also like to do this without a car. (Renting in Italy and don't want to do two rentals) We currently are committed to two weeks in Italy from Sept. 22 until Oct. 6 and I can put Switzerland before OR after Italy.

A few of my questions, and I hope they're clear enough:

1. Putting Switzerland AFTER ITALY we'd be departing from Rome....would it be better to train North, start with the B Express or fly into Bern (budget airline Skywork?) and make a loop to Zurich for our flight home?

2. Visiting Switzerland BEFORE ITALY we'll be flying into Zurich (a short flight - not overnight). From Switzerland we would be heading to Umbria so I believe my best option would be to end in Bern and fly into Rome, making our way to Umbria. (Spello) Or is there a way to work my itinerary to be able to train into Italy, either direct to Umbria or picking up our rental along the route? Recommendations on what route to take in Switzerland?

2. Is one direction better than the other on the B Express?

3. If I add Switzerland after Italy is that getting too late in the season? (Oct 6-16)

4. Recommendations on how/where to split the 10 nights to give us convenient public transportation for side trips. We're staying for a week in two locations in Italy so not opposed to moving around for this portion, although I would prefer no more than 3 hotel changes.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all and have a wonderful New Year!

zeppole Jan 1st, 2012 01:43 PM

For a trip to Switzerland, I like to give myself optimal chances at ideal weather. Therefore, I would put Switzerland first.

swandav2000 Jan 1st, 2012 09:48 PM

Hi travelfan1,

I agree with zeppole above -- put Switzerland first when you havve the best chance of good weather for the Alps.

With your wish list, I would do this:

Fly into Zürich, go immediately to Appenzell, stay two or three nights.

Go to the Jungfrau area, stay four nights

Go to St. Moritz (or a town or village in the area), stay three nights.

Take the Bernina Express from St. Moritz to Tirano, then continue onward to Milan and your Italian portion.

You can get all the train schedules at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Have fun as you plan!

s

Ingo Jan 2nd, 2012 01:30 AM

I am torn on the weather issue - changes for good weather are equally good or bad whether you go to Switzerland in Sept or Oct. The advantage of going in Oct is that you'll see the spectacular fall colours.

As for too late in the season ... The cute villages Wengen and Mürren in the Bernese Oberland will probably be shut down already (most hotels/restaurants closed) but that should not keep you from visiting - stay in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald and do excursions, the cog-trains will still be running (and some other cable cars also).

In the Upper Engadine the season goes a bit longer. I've been there in mid October myself a couple of times. Usually gorgeous, crisp air, blue sky and gold-yellow colours of the larch trees. Don't miss a side trip to Soglio in the Bregaglia valley for spectacular foliage.

So, I'd recommend to start with the Bernese Oberland, then Appenzell, then the Upper Engadine (stay in Sils, my favourite, or Pontresina). When picking this order do the Bernina train ride as a day trip to Poschiavo and back (that's really enough, the portion down to Tirano is not *that* scenic, more for railway enthusiasts for the circular viaduct near Brusio).

I.

qwovadis Jan 2nd, 2012 01:48 AM

In fall put Switzerland first warmer weather2travel.com
flights into Zurich cheaper cheapoair.com usually from NYC for me. seat61.com/switzerland hop regional trains like a local Come down into Italy via Lugano bellagio.info is great
at Como usually stay at Residence L'Ulivo there 120 euros
hotelscombined.com over to sirmione.com Garda Venice
Florence assisi.com Rome. seat61.com/italy

Happy Planning!