Need help w/choice of Rome Hotels

Jun 14th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Susan

Need help w/choice of Rome Hotels

I can get a reservation at Hotel Lilum, one of the ones mentioned in the National Geographic 2002 article which is near the Via Veneto, or Hotel Diana which is near Stazione Termini, or Hotel Romae, another Nat'l Geo hotel and also near Stazione Termini. I've inquired at Hotel Santa Maria in Travestere but haven't heard back yet. We're traveling with our son and his fiance on their first trip to Europe and would like to be in a moderate hotel in an interesting, perhaps hip/trendy neighborhood. I can't find any reviews of Hotel Lilum. It looks the most interesting to me of these choices, but is also the least expensive and rated 2 stars while some of the others are 3 stars. Quiet sleeping at night is also a concern and Hotel Illum itself says the days are noisy but nights are quiet. It looks like and the first 3 would be relatively near transportation. Would I be better to hold out for info from the hotel in Travestere? Any thoughts???

Jun 14th, 2002, 05:56 AM
elaine

Susan
some of the blocks around Termini aren't too bad, but some are downright seedy. It is certainly not the most attractive area of Rome. If you have other options that fit in with your budget, I would choose another area.

Trastevere is a very charming area, but not quite central. Some like to stay there for that very reason, to be further away from the tourist hub; I prefer a more central location.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Mr. Go

If you consider other areas, look into the Hotel Mozart. I rarely see it recommended here, but we really liked it. It's a 3-star place w/ AC, between the Spanish Steps and the Piazza Populo. We had a nice, big room with a large balcony and decent bathroom. Good value. Friendly staff, too.

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:43 AM
YesRoma

Ist choice, Hotel Tiziano; lovely, clean, reasonable, good location, 2nd choice, Hotel Palatino; used by many upper level tour companies, quite good.
Ciao!

Jun 17th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Cody

I agree with Tiziano!!! Very reasonable, comfortable, clean, convenient and the staff is THE best.