Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   need help tweeking my itenerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-tweeking-my-itenerary-658276/)

j9710 Nov 12th, 2006 04:52 AM

need help tweeking my itenerary

hello to all. you have been so much help so far. i am changing my plans a bit due to my work schedule. i need some advice. if you remember i am planning a surprise trip to france for my wifes birthday. i have changed from june now to may to get some extr days in. we fly out of boston. now here is the questions. after much research i only want to do paris for 5 nights. bayeux for 2 nights to see the world war 2 interests. now i have 1 night 2 days for somewhere else in the vicinity. i think she would like a coastal town that is beautiful with character. i looked at st. malo,honfleur mont st. michel. just not sure. before we fly out on sunday we will have to return to paris saturday night and stay near cdg. so my questions are
what to see first paris after landing at cdg from logan or see the other places and end up in paris.
how do i travel between these places. not one bit interested in driving. don't mind trains and buses.
thanks again to all. i am sure i will need more help once i finalize my general itenerary. my god this is hard. for all of you that plan all the trips for your loved ones, bravo bravo bravo. bob

JeanneB Nov 12th, 2006 06:21 AM

With such a short time---and without a car---I think Honfleur might be best. On the way to Bayeux you might want to stop at Caen and visit the World War II museum there.

Normally I would say go to the countryside first. But CDG to Normandy requires changing trains in Paris. Maybe you don't want to do that?

Why are you staying at CDG the last night? Is your departing flight that early?

nessundorma Nov 12th, 2006 07:02 AM

It's a little hard to read your post without caps or paragraph breaks, but if you are asking whether you should go to directly to Paris for several days after your arrival at CDG or someplace else, I suggest you go to Paris.

You and she will be jet lagged, and it is much simpler to get a taxi and go to Paris than do anythng else you are describing.

I don't think you should stay at CDG your last night. Go to Paris, have a celebratory dinner and get a taxi to the airport the next morning.

ira Nov 12th, 2006 08:10 AM

Dear j97,

I do not wish to be offensive, but it is very hard to read posts, particularly long ones, that don't have punctuation, capitalization or paragraph breaks.

It is also very distracting to find so many spelling errors.

You could type your posts in Word, run them through the spell and grammar checks, save them as text files and then copy and paste here.

It would help us to help you.

>before we fly out on sunday we will have to return to paris saturday night and stay near cdg. <

You could stay in the City and have a cab or shuttle take you to CDG.

((I))

j9710 Nov 12th, 2006 08:44 AM

I am very sorry for the way i wrote my question. I am new to this. I will put my questions into paragraphs next time.
Again I am sorry. bob

JeanneB Nov 12th, 2006 08:53 AM

Why don't you start a new thread, maybe call it "Need help with Paris, Normandy".

Do as Ira suggests regarding punctuation. You seem to have three questions:
---Which order, i.e. Paris or countryside first?
---Where to stay that extra night after Bayeux
---and how to travel between these places

suze Nov 12th, 2006 09:39 AM

I would plan around places you can easily get to by train.

I would spend the last night in Paris and have you hotel call you a morning taxi back to the airport.

For the Paris portion, I don't believe you need to overplan. We had a great stay there just getting up each morning, and over our coffee deciding what to go do and see that day.

...Don't feel bad - just double-hit your "enter" key now and then :-)