National strike in Italy Oct 2 sounds like it might be disruptive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't understand why there isn't more talk here about the proposed October 2nd strike in Italy. It's supposed to be a national strike affecting all local transportation, surface and underground.

Do these strikes fizzle out or is no one on Fodor's traveling about Italy on Oct 2nd?

We arrive on the 2nd into Venice and fortunately we have reserved a rental car for the drive to Verona. On Hellovenezia I saw that a number of the Vaporetto lines plan to suspend service that day with only essential lines running.

I guess I expected more of a concern about the strike. Are the strikes in Italy mostly rhetoric without follow through?

Thanks for any comments, Deborah
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Most people don't take local transporation when they travel in Italy. Venetian vaporeti are a big exception; maybe the Circumvesuviana as well. Maybe a handful of other buses or trams. But most of the trains international travelers take are Trenitalia trains, and Trenitalia isn't involved in the Oct 2 strike. (There is a strike scheduled for Oct 13, but who know where that is headed).

But since you bring it up, I did notice that lake ferries will also be reduced to the essential runs mandated by law, so people planning trips to the Italian Lakes should adjust accordingly.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM

I certainly doh't know if it will happen this time, but "strikes" (and I purposely put that word in quotes) Italy quite often fizzle out (for want of a better phrase).
I clearly remember on a trip to Italy a few years ago that a strike that supposedly was going to close gas stations for at least a day or two lasted, at most, a couple hours.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>Are the strikes in Italy mostly rhetoric without follow through?<<

No, but they are scheduled in advance and most people just work around them. There are lots of trains guaranteed to run even during strikes and you can use those for travel (usually rush hours).

Strikes are pretty common in Europe, not just Italy.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure why you'd expect a lot of talk ahead of time in America about a strike in Italy - it's a non-topic, and one that happens often enough to simply merit a shrug on either side of the ocean. They happen often, people deal, life goes on. If you're a tourist there's usually a way to get around them, and you'll be advised. Get mellow. That's part of visiting Italy.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM

I'm in Italy right now.

A couple days ago, all state museums in Italy closed (at least in Milan and Florence). I took a day trip from Florence to Milan just to go to Pinacoteca di Brera, only to find out that it was closed. I was mad. Later on I found that even Uffizi, Bargello, Palazzo Pitti, Accademia closed that day.

Yesterday all the museums opened again
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 03:21 AM

Unless austerity policies change in Europe, travelers to Europe should be braced for a lot of strikes and slowdowns in services that are part of the public sector, and disruptive demonstrations. As kybourbon points out, this protest is not unique to Italy, and it has nothing to do with being "mellow" or other stereotypes of European culture.

Also, it's my impression that most people posting a lot of Fodor's don't appear to read any news about the places they are going, take any interest in its present-day politics or actual culture, or even follow the weather. I think it is a good that you read Hello Venezia and take an extra measure of interest.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 03:25 AM

HowardR,

The threat of a strike is a bargaining tool. If the situation can be resolved without a strike, there isn't a strike. I wouldn't call that "fizzling out."
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:04 AM

lorettajung, I guess it's just a case of semantics!
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. By using the word fizzle I was thinking of it as something that ends up coming to nothing, not considering the process it takes to get it there.

I understand the purpose of strikes but I also like to know what to expect so that I have in mind other plans if necessary. Foodor, you have me thinking how we would handle the disappointment if the Accademia and Ufizzi were closed on the day we have our reservations. I'd be very upset also.

My experience with strikes in Europe have been usually in France, during election time, often May, around a holiday. We have had some very memorable travel experiences because of strikes there.

We do seek out internation news for places we will be visiting. Right now my husband is telling me he is glad we are going to Italy rather than Spain. How terrible to see the austerity protests in Madrid become violent.

Thanks again for your comments. I'm glad I left some open days unplanned on this trip, guess those will be my "in case of strike" days Deborah
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 11:59 AM

We were once in Rome during a taxi strike. It lasted 24 hours, by design. Precisely 24 hours, from 1 PM to 1 PM. The buses were busier than usual, but otherwise there was not a ripple.