Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help to find Barcelona apartment location for college student

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister asked my help to find an apartment in a good location for her daughter who will be studying in Barcelona at Quimico de Sarria, Universitat Ramon Llull, on Via Augusta 390, 087017. My niece will be there from January to June 2011. This is the first year Barcelona is in the semester abroad program at Meryl's college so there isn't feedback from previous students.

Meryl's school told her she has to find her own housing and suggested apartments at www.melondistrict.com, location is called Marina and it's on sancho de avila 22, 08018.

For those of you familiar with Barcelona is this an area convenient to the school using public transportation; safe for a young woman to be walking about day and night and still offer some opportunities for socializing when she is able?

My sister also found listings for apartments and roommates at www.habitatgejove.com that are scattered around Barcelona. We are not sure which neighborhoods would be good locations.

Meryl has traveled in many parts of the world but never alone so of course her personal safety is of great concern to her family. Is the location of the melondistrict apartments a good choice? Are there areas that should be avoided for a female college student who may or may not have late night classes?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Deborah
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:57 AM

she can check http://www.compartepiso.com/ google maps will help her decide which area is closest.

and here is a bus website in english. I don't think there is a metro up there near the school. the marina district will be a nicer area to live although it is almost 7 km from school.

http://www.tmb.cat/es_ES/home.jsp

She could also write the American or international women's club asking to rent a room in that area or closer to downtown, requesting a Spanish speaking family if that is what she prefers, or just whoever offers. There are many people who do that.

Parts of Barcelona can be gritty, but the area where the school is is residential and I like the higher areas of Barcelona, myself.

I am not that familiar with all the other possibilities so hopefully a local resident will chime in. I visit often and stay with friends not too far from the school area you have mentioned.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

lincasanova, thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. I'm disappointed there isn't a metro stop close to the college location but I did see the bus service so your link to that will be very helpful. I'll have my sister look into the international womens club. Meryl would prefer to share housing rather than be alone. thanks again, Deborah
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM

worse comes to worse she could secure the suggested place for a month then check other things out once she is there, which is of course, MUCH easier.. she will have met kids and even be offered situations. once there.

Here is a club's website.. If you can put an ad in their online bulletin I am SURE you will see response quickly.

http://www.iwcbarcelona.com/Site/IWCB_Home.html

ps. I am the past president of the VLC American Club, so I know first hand that people do help out when they are notified, if they can.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again lincasanova, I've passed your comments on to my sister. She is getting upset that the college, Marquette in Wisconsin, has not been any help in securing lodging for this study abroad program the school offers. The marina apartment will be 850 euros a month, pricey for a poor college student!! thanks again, Deborah
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM

she can probably rent a room for under 400.. but then there is food. room and board will be at least 600 in host family homes. You could also call one of the language school to see if they will "place" your student ( for a fee) in one of their host families for a month til she gets settled. Not sure what results that will have unless you know someone who knows the school, but it HAS been done.

It would be nice if her college program put an ad in the paper looking for responsible local families who would like to host. they will be bombarded with offers, but need a housing staff person to check the places out. Most of these colleges do have staff that is dedicated to the kids once they are here.. for activities, housing problems, etc.

Maybe if you show them what other colleges are offering abroad they will get on board and start offering additional services .

Good luck. Wish I could help more.. just too far from here to do much more.I could send out an email to several people if you give me an address. you can write me at my screen name at yahoo dot com.
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

lincasanova, thank you for your help. I've sent my sister a copy of your comments and I'm sure she will contact you directly if she needs some further help from you. I know she sent an email to the iwcbarcelona address and I did send her a list of language schools that might give her some contacts for host homes. Thanks again, Deborah
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM

I can't help with finding an apt. but wanted to let you know you're sister is not alone. My daughter will be studying abroad in Leon, Spain and we are currently looking for a place for her to live - her school has not provided any help - other than suggesting she book herself into a hostel for a few days until she can find a place to live! You're not alone! Good luck!