Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help! Prague to Frankfurt one-way - Cheapest & safest way w/ luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need help!

My husband and I will be arriving by plane in Prague on Thursday April 30, 2009. On Sunday morning of May 3, we need to take a train from Prague to Frankfurt. (He has to be in Frankfurt Sunday night for business Monday morning.) I've read a lot about "economical" train tickets around Europe, but I cannot seem to find them for what we need. We need a one-way, one-time trip from Prague to Frankfurt. The quotes on the Deutsche Bahn website seem very expensive (200+ euro per person for one-way trip). Because it is one-way, my understanding is that we are not eligible for the "saver" fares. It is not an option for us to make a return trip to Prague. We are desperately trying to figure out if there is a more economical way to journey from Prague to Frankfurt one-way. Can anyone help us?

Also, whichever option we choose for the journey, we will both of our carry-on suitcases, his laptop bag, my large backpack, and two nice camera bags. I cannot find information on the maximum dimensions and space allotted per passenger for the overhead compartments for any of the trains. Based on a photo I saw of one of the trains (not sure which one it was), it seems small and I doubt my carry-on suitcase will fit in the overhead compartment, so I do not want to rely on this. Because of the risk of theft, we cannot leave any of our belongings unsecured and out of sight in an open luggage storage area on the train. I read that some trains offer vestibules with coin-slot lockers on the train so you can secure your luggage during the journey. How can I know which trains have these lockers built in to the passenger cars?

Anyone with helpful information to share, we very much appreciate it!!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Buy a return ticket and don't return

And I've never heard of lockers on trains - have you considered the sleeper train?
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Have you thought about flying instead? That is a fairly long train ride. I also have never heard of any difference between one way and round trip tickets on the trains. Are you looking on the Deutsche Bahn website?

as to the luggage. Any carry on that you have will fit in the luggage racks above your seat. No one is going to measure your luggage, so you can bring onto the train whatever you want. There are racks at the end of each car and you can store your bags there if you like. Some people bring a small bike cable lock to lock their bags to the rack. Some trains actually have a space behind some of the seats to put your luggage, but I do think you will be able to store it in the racks over your seat. I have seen people put giant suitcases up there, or huge hiking backpacks.

I also have never heard of lockers on a train and I live here and take the trains all the time.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:06 AM

I have never seen any lockers , either, but one traveller who posted here noted the excellent idea (IMO) of stringing a wire bike lock through your pieces and securing them to the permanent train luggage fixtures.

This system is also great for the trunk of your car. At least the thieves will be delayed if not totally deterred.

Check out www.whichbudget.com for the flights available as low -cost.careful with luggage limits. It may turn out pricier than a non low cost flight.

And any other int'l site for the more common arlines.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:44 AM

You have choices. There is a CityNightLine (CNL) from Praha arriving in Frankfurt at about 7AM. Otherwise, day trains require a change at either Dresden or Nürnberg. Both cities are well worth taking a few hours for a walkabout and lunch.

I have seen locked luggage storage on the Amsterdam to Brussels International Express but on no other trains. The greatest risk of theft is when the train is in a station. Anything you can carry is allowed on the trains. Any airline carry-on will fit in the overhead bins on any train. For a good introduction to train travel in Europe see http://tinyurl.com/eym5b.

My experience is that train tickets are much cheaper in Czech Republic than in Germany. I suggest that you wait until you get to Prague to buy your tickets. The CNL including beds will probably be cheaper than your husband's hotel room in Frankfurt. Maybe he can trade off. Also, there are few instances where RT tickets offer any advantage over one way. Tickets are basically priced by distance covered and class of service.

I would guard the laptop bag with all arms, and would not bring any camera bags. Put your camera strap around your neck and be ready to use it. I assume you have a digital SLR with a zoom lens. With one of these you don't need a camera bag anymore.

After all that, if you are really stuck with paying €200 per person I suggest looking into an auto rental. Even with international drop off charges it can't be as much as €400 for a one day rental.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; Check out www.eurolines.com/ bus company. Very reliable. It's not convienent, but the cost is $46US PP. Leaves at 17hrs and arrives at 23:56hrs. iris1745/dick
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM

I did a quick search for Prague to Frankfurt (Hbf) (the main station, you might want to verify which station you have to go to) and it looks like an 8 hr trip with a change at Dresden. The prices I saw were roughly 163 euro per person 1st class and 102 euro per person 2nd class.
From what I've heard the days of cheap rail travel is long past. We (myself and my friend) spent about $621 each for a multi country 14 day (I think) pass and considering the travel we did it was probably worth it although not cheap. I didn't want the stress of driving in foreign countries with a car I'm not familiar with, and throw it the possible weather situation it was easy to go with the rails.
As far as I know (in my 2 weeks in Switzerland/Germany) there isn't any allocated space, more of a first come first serve thing. I guess for winter travel there always seemed to be extra space except at the ski resorts. You should combine the camera bags with the laptop or backpack and/or leave one camera at home.

Rich
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:14 AM

>I cannot find information on the maximum dimensions and space allotted per passenger for the overhead compartments for any of the trains.

For which of the about 20.000 build types?

>Based on a photo I saw of one of the trains (not sure which one it was), it seems small and I doubt my carry-on suitcase will fit in the overhead compartment, so I do not want to rely on this.

There are no "compartments", often just overhead shelves of different capacity. If the seats are in 2+2 groups there is often space under the seat or between the seat backs.

>Because of the risk of theft, we cannot leave any of our belongings unsecured and out of sight in an open luggage storage area on the train.

Everybody else does. I do it every time. I would be careful on short distance / suburban trains where a lot of people enter and leave every few minutes, but on long distance trains the risk of theft is minuscule. Keep your camera bags near you, they may be still at risk, but nobody will steal a suitcase - for a thief, there is a 99% risk to find nothing beyond used underwear in it.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM

I have seen folks use the cable type locks on trains.

We travel with laptops and high end camera gear and take it with us when one of us is not in the seat.

We traveled fairly extensively the last 2 years in Italy, Austria and Germany via first class rail pass. We bring a 22inc carry on and a laptop bag or small duffle each. Everything fits well overhead or behind the seats in the first class compartments.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM

200E for the train seems very high. Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Seems to me we got sleepers for less than that...

Unless you're looking at first class. I'd travel second class; the difference is marginal. The trains are clean and the seats are large. I'd take the sleeper or a plane. (I'm partial to sleepers; they are really cool.)