COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

need help planning my souther france trip

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:34 PM
valeria

Hello,

This summer my girlfriend and I are going to visit Southern France for about two weeks. Actually, I will be coming from Spain and meeting her somewhere in France. I would appreciate any input or suggestions regarding our itinerary. Here is our tentative plan:
1. Meet in Arles (how do I get from Costa Brava to Arles? if by train, how long does it take?). Stay in Arles for 3 nights. Take a day trip to Camargue Park and a day trip to Nimes. (is it worth going to Nimes?)
2. Avignon (2 nights). Should we plan a day trip to St.Remy?
3. Aix-en-Provence (2 nights)
4. Antibes (5 nights). In Antibes, we are looking to relax and lay on the beach. Is this a good place to do it?

Also, if anyone has any suggestion regarding cheap but clean accomodations, please let me know.

Thank you so much,
Valeria.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Rex

For train info, use www.raileurope.com or www.sncf.fr or www.renfe.es

Antibes seems like a perfectly good place to lay on the beach.

My only trip there was for only about 24 hours once, and solo - - so I don't feel qualified to comment on using it as a base. I arrived by train, and left by rental car, without coming back. Not too difficult to use the train for Nice MonteCarlo etc.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:14 PM
arles

i don't know if this qualifies as "cheap" accomodations, but check out la calendal (sp) in Arles

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:20 PM
arles

we will be visiting Arles next month; plan on seeing St. Remy as part of day trip from Arles. Everything appears very close together; we will be visiting St. Remy, Les Baux, pont du gard (damn spelling) along with towns such as gordes, Rousillon etc all as day trips. We don't plan on stopping in Nimes but that isnt to say we're right(just a matter of time allocation) If there is a next time maybe we will have time to see the wild white mustangs; or is that just in travel posters?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:42 AM
anon

To see the wild white mustangs, you have to actually go to the Camargue.

The very best of those travel posters are only sold there.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:19 AM

LOL!!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:56 AM
phil

Valeria: Arles is a bit off the beaten track for train travel. I would suggest you meet your friend in Avignon (abt 5 hrs from Barcelona by train/TGV). Spend 2/3 nights there, everything walking. Then rent a car at either the old station in town or at the new TGV station and drive to St Remy (20 min) and use that as your base to visit Arles (25 min), Camargue (45 min), Les Baux (10 min), Pont du Gard (45 min), Nimes (45 min), Lubéron (45 min) etc... Then move on to Aix and the beach. If you're planning for July, bear in mind the International Theater Festival is on from July 5 to 27 and hotel rooms will be hard to find. Book asap.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:58 AM
phil

The Festival is in Avignon.