Need help planning Italy honeymoon

Apr 4th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Need help planning Italy honeymoon

Hi. I am a new member. We'd like to go to Italy for our honeymoon and have decided to do all the planning on our own. As you can imagine, we are overwhelmed, so I'm hoping you can shed some light on us.

I've been reading several related posts on this forum, and already know that we should arrive in Venice and leave from Rome.

We'd be arriving in Venice on July 30 and staying between 12-14 days. We thought about visiting at least Venice, Florence/Tuscany and Rome.

Some info about us: we're not much into art museums. We're not opposed to seeing some historic sites and sculptures, but we're not looking forward to spending hours in museums.
I do look forward to seeing amazing architecture (in the cities) and beautiful scenery (Tuscany, etc).

So my question is: if we are not into art, museums and such, do we really need 3+ days in Rome, 3 days in Venice, etc? What do you suggest as must-sees for us? Would we have time to add another destination, such as Amalfi Coast? Any sample itineraries are more than welcome.

Also, what about transportation? I know we'd need to rent a car to explore Tuscany, but when should we get it? From Venice? In Florence? Where should we return it? In Florence? Further south so we can see other villages on our way to Rome?

Sorry for all the questions but that's how tangled my mind is right now!

Thanks for your input in advance.
Apr 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM

If you can do the 14 days, do it. More time in Italy is always better!

Assuming 13 nights:
Fly into Venice and stay 3 nights.
Train to Florence and stay 2 nights.
Get car as you leave Florence and stay somewhere in Tuscany 4 nights (Pienza/Montalcino/ Montepulciano area is good).
Drive to Orvieto and drop the car, see the Duomo there before taking the train to Rome.
Stay in Rome 4 nights and fly home from there.

Yes, you do need more that 3 days in Rome! I've spent 38 days there and am going back in July. There is so much to see outside of museums. Since you like architecture, plan to see a lot of churches, which you can do in a shorter time than a museum might take.
Apr 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Ditto everything SusanP said with just one teensy comment. If you could postpone your honeymoon by just one month, the crowds will be slightly reduced and the temperatures the same. I know couples usually want to leave right after the wedding, but waiting a month will give you time to catch your breath and provide more enjoyable conditions.
Apr 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Hi Sherezada,

My wife and I honeymooned in Italy. We did Rome, the Amalfi Coast and then Sicily. If I can recall, I think our thought process was: run around and see as many sites as we could in Rome; take in the beautiful scenery of the Amalfi Coast and then (semi)relax in Sicily.

Having since been to both Florence and Venice, you absolutley need at least 3+ days in Venice and Rome and no more than 2 nights in Florence. Ironically, my wife and I are not huge into art/museums either. Although we enjoyed Florence, it is very art/museum centric and we don't feel the desire to go back.

Our honeymoon was around the same time (August 5th) and as you may have read in other forums, Italy gets very hot at that time of year. You may want to think about doing somthing coastal such as the Cinque Terre in Liguria. Another idea is to stay in a town like Lucca and be able to go to the beaches at Forte dei Marmi or Viareggio, all in Tuscany.

You definately need a car to make the most of Tuscany. You can rent one in Florence and drop it off when you get to Rome.

Definately stay as long as you can. We've been to Italy 3 times and every time we want to stay longer. Sorry for the long response, but I hope it helps.
Apr 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
ira

Hi S,

2 weeks is perfect for Venice, Florence and Rome.

Fly into V and out of R.

I suggest
Venice 4 nights
Florence 4 nights - daytrip to Siena
Rome 5 nights - daytrip to Orvieto.

Save the AC and a motor trip through Tuscany for later.

Italy will still be there on your next visit.

Apr 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!

I guess the one question left in my mind is: what are the must sees in each destination for people like us?

Example:
I don't know why (and please forgive my ignorance) but when I think Venice all I can think of is Gondola ride...and I know I'd get bored of that after the first time. So obviously I need some enlightment (not just for Venice, but for all areas).

I feel so dumb right now...LOL!
Apr 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM

I suggest you do a little guidebook reading. You can also peruse Fodor's destination guides. Click on the link above.

Others' must-sees may not be yours.
Apr 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Welcome to Fodprs
sherezada and congratulations on the upcomig wedding.

Venice is sooooooooo much more than gondolar rides, wbich are fairly pricey so you will only do that once anyway. St. Marks, the
Doges Palace, many beautiful churches, Murano and Burano and so much more. However, the best thing about Venice is just wandering the streets and enjoying the atmosphere and the people. Walk until you are tired, find a nice place to sit and have a glass of wine and wander some more. IMO this is the most romantic city in the world and a great way to unwind at the beginning of your honeymoon after the whirlwind of all of the wedding festivities.
The advice you received to buy a good guide book is the best advice you will get. If you don't want to invest the money go to your local library as they always have plenty of guidebooks on Italy. Also read the trip reports here on Fodors and you will find plenty of information. Just put the name of each city into the search box on this site and spend a weekend reading and you will have more ideas than you will have time. Happy travels. J
Apr 5th, 2008, 05:56 AM
ira

Hi S,

>what are the must sees in each destination for people like us?

Look up the cities under "Destinations"

Go to the library and get some travel books.

Read Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568596

Enjoy your planning

Apr 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM

For walking around Venice, I suggest "Venice for Pleasure" by
J G Links.

Florence might not be to your taste, as it's a very busy place. You might wish to consider making Siena your base in Tuscany and visiting Florence for the day by train or bus.
Apr 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM

If you are not really into art museums, etc. I'd drop Florence. I know others will gasp but Florence just didn't do it for us. You will already be doing two cities - Venice & Rome, so I'd opt for the most romantic place on earth - Tuscany. It will be pretty hot when you are there so one nice thing is to only do morning touring, then rest & relax by the pool (book agritursimos) with the cheese & bread that you bought in the lovely town you visited that morning. After the sun goes down you head out for the most wonderful meals imaganiable.

So, I'd do Rome & Venice for 3 nights each and then Tuscany for a full week. Rome is a great vibrant city and you can get all your rushing around done there. Venice is small but still, wandering around and getting lost is a lovely thing to do. We were only there 2 nights the last time and wished we'd had a 3rd. You could do two bases - one in Northern Tuscany & one in the south. Rent a car to drive around, visit wineries, walled cities, small towns, etc. Take the train into Florence for 1/2 a day to see the David and perhaps to enjoy Florence more than we did.

Congratulations on your wedding and you'll have a great time in Italy no matter what you do. It is our favorite country. There is nothing like the colors of the Italian landscapes.
Apr 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM

I have to whole heartedly agree with the last post. My husband and I spent two weeks in Italy on our honeymoon last summer - 3 nights in Varenna on Lake Como, 3 nights in Venice 1 night in Florence and 6 nights on an agriturismo in a town called Greve (an hour south of Florence). We are not artsy people either, and after the three days in Venice, we were ready to get OUT and after the 1 day in Florence, we were ready to get OUT. By far, our favorite parts of the trip was the country/small towns. I highly recommend a week in Tuscany on an agriturismo - some days we just spent reading by the pool overlooking the Tuscan hills and other days we used our rented car to drive to other remote vineyards for tours and some days we took day trips (we checked out Siena and Volterra with a stop in Lucca before we flew out of Pisa). Of course, seeing the cities is important, but the heat and the crowds can be overwhelming (Venice!).

In terms of the car, we took the train from Venice to Florence, spent the night, go up the next day and toured and took a cab to the car rental agency at 4 where we picked up the car and drove out of the city. We then arranged to drop it in Pisa at the airport. This worked well for us.
Apr 6th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Because of the time of year, I also agree to forgo Florence and spend a week in Tuscany someplace where there is a pool. I can also tell you that you will go back again!! Everyone does. So save the other stuff for a time when you can go in spring or fall when it is not so hot and crowded. that's the time to enjoy Florence, BTW.

Sometime before you go again, read "Brunneleschi's Dome" about the building of the Dome of the Duomo. and some other books about the Renaissance. Then you will like Florence better.
Apr 8th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Sherezada,

If you like hiking, etc - the Cinque Terre are AMAZING! It's my favorite place in the world. It's about 3 hrs from Florence by train, and a collection of 5 villages on the Italian Riviera.

It's about the most beautiful place in the world - the perfect place for a honey, especially if you are young and active.