Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help planning a Tuscan wine tasting trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-planning-a-tuscan-wine-tasting-trip-474484/)

elbee Sep 15th, 2004 03:15 PM

Need help planning a Tuscan wine tasting trip

Hi everyone,
After 15 years of dating my fiancee (now husband) and I finally got married. We are trying to plan a honeymoon and I need some guidance from some experts. We want to do a trip to Venice and Tuscany. Which city do you recommend flying into? Also, which area do you recommend going to first. I have been looking through a few message boards and the consensus seems to be that renting a car to get around the Tuscan region is the best way to go. Will we have a difficult time tasting if we don't speak the language or would you recommend a wine tasting tour with an English speaking guide. If the tour is the way to go, should we book it in advance (from here) or should we wait until we get there and maybe get some suggested tours from the hotels?

bobthenavigator Sep 15th, 2004 03:41 PM

When are you going?
How long will you stay?

Flying into Venice makes more sense. There are fewer flights into Florence. Actually, Pisa has more flight options for Tuscany.

Yes, driving in Tuscany is best. If TASTING wines is your goal, then that is easily done in the dozens of charming enotecas both in the hill towns and at the wineries. Do not expect a Napa type experience at the winery. Most do not show the wine production, but they love to sell it.

I suggest you also check out slowtrav.com for excellent planning info for Italy.

Budman Sep 15th, 2004 04:41 PM

Here's a place near Montalcino. We are scheduled for a 1:30 luncheon and then a 4:00 tour in English. This is supposed to be an excellent winery from what I have been hearing.

www.castellobanfi.com ((b))

rex Sep 15th, 2004 05:24 PM

Search "kilkelly" here.

Best wishes,

Rex

elbee Sep 15th, 2004 05:31 PM

I think we would like to stay a week and a half.

bobthenavigator Sep 15th, 2004 05:34 PM

Is that November?

elbee Sep 16th, 2004 11:15 AM

Yep. November

bobthenavigator Sep 16th, 2004 06:34 PM

Elbee, Since this is a honeymoon let me offer some good advice. It will be chilly and rainy in Nov.--the highest month for rainfall in Tuscany. I love Tuscany, but for this trip---assuming 10 nites in Italy---I would spend your time in the art cities, and I would use public transport. This is funny--I often suggest the exact opposite. Your Tuscany exposure can be as trips from Florence---Lucca by train and Siena by bus. Consider 4 nites in Venice, 4 in Florence, and 2 nites in Siena. Rural Tuscany may be a bit depressing that time of year. Good luck !

ezlivin Sep 16th, 2004 07:35 PM

While I agree that driving in Tuscany is best, just remember that wine tasting in dozens of enotecas and sensible driving depends a lot on how much you'll be using the spitoon.

Or, just make sure that you designate a driver (preferably not a wine drinker) in your party and I guarantee a good time will be had by all.

Just a friendly reminder.