Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help planning a trip to the Dordogne,France

Jan 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

We're planning to visit the Dordogne region of France for about 2 weeks in October 2007, from the west coast of Canada. So far I see 2 options of getting there. Either 1.fly Vancouver to London and then get on a RyanAir, or other, flight into Bergerac, or 2. fly Vancouver to Paris(which will require one stop over) and take trains to the Dordogne. We don't really want to spend a lot of our 2 weeks dealing with getting there. Any suggestions out there, on what would be the best route? Any other suggestions that I haven't thought of?
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM
ira

Hi Z,

It ain't easy to get there, but it's worth the journey.

We flew into Bordeaux via Paris, picked up a car at the airport.

My trip report might help you:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34676645

Photos at http://tinyurl.com/sjch4
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-pla2au

Enjoy your visit.

Jan 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM

There are myriad ways to get to the Dordogne - none of them particularly quick and easy (and think about it - might be one reason it's so great when you get there!).

You can fly into Bordeaux or Toulouse (or Bergerac or Brive or Périgueux). From CDG or Paris center you can take the TGV to Bordeaux or Libourne or Brive and either continue on smaller trains to Sarlat or Périgueux, or pick up a rental car and drive. Or you can take a variety of non-high-speed trains from Paris (usually involving a change) to Périgueux or Brive or Sarlat.

Me, I like to fly into Paris, take the TGV to Libourne, then take the Corail to Périgueux, and pick up a car there. Others have other favorite ways to get there because of where their homes (or rental homes or hotels) are located or things they want to see upon arrival.

What is your final destination in the Dordogne?
Jan 27th, 2007, 12:30 PM

We're flying from Halifax via Montreal and Frankfurt into Toulouse and back from Bordeaux via Munich and Toronto with Air Canada and Lufthansa. I would imagine from the West Coast you could perhaps look at something similar. The two airlines have a partnership.

Jan 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM

In terms of cost, it might be cheaper to get a round trip to London and then fly Ryanair to Bergerac or Limoges (we flew from Limoges to Stansted). Transatlantic flights usually arrive in the morning, so if you find a late afternoon flight to France, the connection is doable even though you have to change airports (we did that going to Porto). However, I do not think that you would be in any shape to drive to the Dordogne, and might have to stay in a hotel in Limoges or Bergerac, which still would be cheaper than London for equivalent accomodations. But if you can find a good fare to Paris and get a low fare to Libourne-Bordeaux or Limoges (http://www.sncf.fr/indexe.htm), it might be easier, but I still would not advise driving very far after such a long flight, the transfer time in Paris, and the train ride. I think that your first option is perhaps the best.