We are planning a trip to Provence/Cote d'Azur this coming March 23-April 19 (27 days). We are a family of six with teenage kids and youngest kid being 10 yrs old. They are pretty good travelers, having done Greece, Italy, France, Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries in the past.
We were thinking of spending one week visiting the French Riviera and its hilltowns. So far we plan to drive from Cannes-Nice, Cap Ferrat, Monaco, Menton, St. Agnes, Roquebrune Cap Martin, Eze, Haut Cagnes, Biot, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Vallauris, Mougins, Grasse, Gourdon, Cipieres, Tourettes Sur Loup, Vence, St. Paul de Vence.
Then drive for another week into inland Provence: Aix-en Provence, Hilltowns of Haut Provence (Cadenet, Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Apt, Rousillion) Vaucluse (Gordes, Joucas, Senanque, Venasque, Crillon le Brave), L'isle la Sorgue, Orange, Avignon, Villenueve les Avignon, Saint Remy, Les Baux provence, Fontville, Arles, Nimes, Marseilles, Casis (Les Calanque).
Need inputs if one week for each segment is enough time to allot without having to feel rushed. For the perched villages and Hilltowns, which ones are a must see and which ones can be skipped? Is there a way to see several villages in one day? Which of the places mentioned above are a must see? Will we be spending too much time in the South of France? Any other countries worth including in the trip?
We are still deciding where to go for the remaining days we have (10 days, since we're thinking of taking it easy for the first 3 days before we start the drive. Our choices so far have been:
1) Carcassone and Lourdes
2) Italian Riviera such as Cinque Terre, Sestri Levanti and Portofino. Can these be accessed easily by train from Cannes or Nice? Will 2 days be enough for all of these?
Would appreciate any ideas or inputs. Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Budget trip
- 2 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 3 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 4 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 5 Driving
- 6 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 7 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 8 Algarve Town Selection
- 9 Tips for first trip to UK
- 10 paris to london- day trip
- 11 Browsing Barcelona
- 12 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 13 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 14 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 15 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 16 Buying a motorcycle in Europe??
- 17 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 18 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 19 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 20 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 21 Portugal
- 22 Pisa Central to Hotel Kinzica at late night.
- 23 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 24 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 25 GTG Paris December 2017