Search

Need help planning a trip to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help planning a trip to Ireland

Hello!
We are planning a 17 day trip late July and early August to Ireland and Scotland. My husband and I are traveling with another couple, arriving Dublin. From there, we are planning on driving to Shannon. We want to spend about 14 days in Ireland and 3 days in Scotland. I believe we have a pretty aggresive schedule but I'm not sure. On our way from Dublin to Shannon on the first day we are planning on stopping at the Rock of Cashel, Kildare and Limerick. We plan on staying 2 nights in Shannon. Day 2 & 3 visit Adare, take the ferry to Kilrush to see the Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch, Ennis and golf in Doonbeg. Day 4, Drive to Kylemore Abbey go through Clifden, and on to Westport. Day 5, leave Westport go through Cong,and on to Kilrush to take the ferry across the Shannon river and spend the night in Tralee. The guys will golf at Ballybunion the next day and then tour the Dingle peninsula. Day 7 Drive the ring of Kerry to Waterville. Day 8 Golf in Waterville, leave Waterville go Killarney. Day 9 Drive to Bantry , Ross-Carberry, Kinsale and Blarney. Day 10, Cobh, Ballymaloe Culinary School. We haven't made any plans after that, we would like to spend a couple of days in Dublin. We plan on flying from Dublin to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Any suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Dear Frankie,

Welcome to the forum. Sending this to the top in hopes for some answers for you.

My husband and I took a very different trip to Ireland, so I'm not a good person to give you advice. We stayed in one place near Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, a rented cottage for a week with a view of the Aran Isles and took day trips.

Sounds like you are planning a fun (and busy!) trip.

Also, wanted to be sure you knew that you can search this forum for the various cities you have listed, to see what previous posters have written. Lots of good trip reports to be found with the search box.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 10:11 PM

You do need help! First use this website to get your mileage: http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/ Divide the mileage by 35 (as in 35 mph). That will give you an approximate drive time for each day.

If you live in the US or Canada call Tourism Ireland at 1-800-223-6470 and have them send you an info package along with a map. You really need a map! The Cliffs of Moher are not near Kilrush. They are between Lahinch and Doolin. If you are staying in Shannon no ferry is needed to get there.

Are you arriving in Dublin from an all night flight? Will you have jet lag? If you want to go to Shannon then why not arrive at Shannon Airport? That makes more sense. If you will have jet lag then don't even think of driving so far on your first day.

You are absolutely right. Your itinerary is very agressive. I am wondering how the golf and sightseeing will be fit into such a whirlwind.

Once you do the drive times and have a map you will awaken to the realities of slooooow travel in Ireland.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM

I'll agree that its aggressive... and this is from someone who tried to cram too much in!

Are they golfing Lahinch? We loved that course... and also Waterville and Ballybunion.

You may want to go back and prioritize things and cut out some things - driving in ireland does take a long time...
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 05:18 AM

From a short film clip I saw on our Aer Lingus fligt to Ireland, Doonberg is a MONSTER!

I like Spanish Point: a 9-hole links layout just outside Miltown Malbay in County Clare. You might run into a bit of a conflict around the Spanish Point-Miltown Malbay area: There's a Willie Clancy Memorial Summer Setdancing school set at the Armada Hotel in late July.

http://www.setdancingnews.net

My favorite course in Ireland is Carne Golf Links, just outside Belmullet (in Co. Mayo, an hour or so from Westport). It has been rated as one of the top-3 links courses in Ireland with Ballybunion & Royal County Down. The last time I played there (May'05) I met two couples from Conroe, TX (the Woodlands). They had come all that way because they had heard (or read) about Eddie Hackett's Masterwork.

Your sequence needs some help: You'll be backtracking from "Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch, Ennis" to Doonberg. When you take the ferry to Kilrush, Doonberg is nearby.

IMHO, Shannon is not really a City. It's an airport surrounded by a bevy of Corporate Parks, Industrial Parks and a Duty Free Zone. It's Ireland's answer to Silicone Valley.

Aer Arann has direct flights Galway to Edinburgh. Check out their website.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 01:37 AM

Didn't mention: another reason I play Spanish Point and Carne rather than the 'big name' courses like Doonberg, Ballybunion, Old Head or Lahinch is what it costs to play a round of Golf. At Doonberg, Ballybunion or Old Head you're looking at 150 euro plus Greens fee; Lahinch may be slightly less.

http://www.carnegolflinks.ie

Golf World Magazine (Nov'05) lists Carne as the 28th best course IN THE WORLD w/2006 Greens Fees 60 euro. They have about a dozen 'buggies' (i.e., riding golf carts), so you should reserve one in advance, but you will be missing the whole flavor of the place if you don't walk the back nine.

They will rent you a buggy for 9-holes if you decide to do that.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Correction: The Willie Clancy Memorial Summer School is Jul 1-8 this year: so late July into August should be OK for west Clare.
You have Ballybunion and Waterville on your Golf Schedule: Why not Old Head (Kinsale, County Cork)?

Another correction: Balybunion and Old Head 2006 Green Fees are 165 Euro ($198 USD). Greg Norman's Doonberg may be a little less expensive because it is newer (not a grandaddy course). I think the latter is closer to Kilkee than Kilrush.

The Tarbert Ferry takes you to Killimer (kil eye mur)

Adare (Ireland's tidy village) may be nice for a day: Golf courses are Parkland (i.e., not Links) but not two days.

Further west on N-21, after Rathkeale, you come to Newcastlewest. There's a little known Lodge called Killeline (Kil lei lun) about 1000 m south of the N-21 on the Old Cork Road (take the first left at the end of a stone wall as you enter town, then cross a 1-lane bridge and take the right fork at the Service station). If you pass Mick McCoy's Sports Bar, you've missed it. http://www.Killeline.com

It has an 18-hole Parkland Golf course (Kevin Doorien, formerly asst. at the Legends Course in SC is the head Pro), a fully equipped hi tech workout room and 20m heated indoor swimming pool, Sauna, Steam, etc. John McCoy, former member of the Dail, owns Mick McCoy's Sports Bar and the Golf Course. The McCormick family owns the Lodge and Spa. I like to stop there to get over my jetlag.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:10 PM

It definitely sounds like a fun and busy trip. I've been to Ireland several times in the past couple of years. One thing that you have to factor in is the drive time. Although the mileage may not seem like that much, the roads are small and getting from point A to B takes much longer than you think. We learned that after our first trip. Your first travel day will be a bit too much I think, depending on how long you plan on visiting each spot. We ran into the problem of arriving into a town too late to see anything and then we felt rushed the next day to get on the road again. Just something to keep in mind.
Since you are golfers, one great place is the Wicklow Golf Course. Wicklow is just south of Dublin. If it's a clear day, the course is gorgeous and right on the water. I hadn't heard anything about it and when I saw it I thought it was beautiful. Unfortunately I didn't golf because my back was bothering me, so I can't tell you how difficult the course is.
As for Dublin, whatever you do, do not stay in the Temple Bar area, unless you plan on staying up all night. You are guaranteed to hear the people leaving the bars at all hours.
So all in all my biggest piece of advice is to take your driving time into consideration. Also, our favorite thing to do is to just find a small town as we drive and go to a pub. We've made friends all over Ireland, so I highly recommend it!

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Hi,

I wasnt a fan of Tralee. We drove through it, it's a small city, really. I thought it was very drab, actually. Why stay there when there are so many nicer places?

I also havent heard great things about Limerick, but perhaps others have differing opinions...I didn't go there.

Otherwise, I would highly recommend Doolin, near the Cliffs. It's a really fun place to soak up the music, great pubs. McCann's especially.

Also, make sure you save a full day for Killarney Nat'l Park. It can be slow-going in there, and you won't want to rush anyhow.

If you can make it to Kenmare, that's a great town too. Very charming, but big enough for shopping, good restaurants, etc.