Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need help planning a summer trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-planning-a-summer-trip-271943/)

Jane Nov 8th, 2002 01:28 PM

Need help planning a summer trip

We are planning a 12 day July trip (we know it's crowded)to Rome, Naples, Positano, Capri, and back to Rome. Is renting a car vs. going by train from Rome to Naples better? Is the Amalfi Drive too dangerous to drive? We would appreciate any hotel recommendations...200 euros range, and restaurants as well as any advice on the trip.(We went to Rome once many years ago.)

Michelle Nov 8th, 2002 01:52 PM

I just returned from a trip to Italy with my sister and 81 year old mother. We picked up a car in Salerno only because we were heading south 2 hours to visit my grandparents hometown in Basilicata. We then drove up the Amalfi coast to Sorrento. It was a blast!! My sister drove while I navigated and my mother commented from the back seat. This was October, so not much traffic, but very windy with hairpin turns. Plus the big tour buses.<BR><BR>For July I would not recommend a car. The roads are very crowded and a big headache. We ended up in Sorrento for four days and never moved the car again. Your best bet would be to train to Naples, hire a driver to get you to your hotel on the Amalfi coast. Using the train/bus system or hiring drivers would save alot of stress.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR>Michelle<BR><BR>PS: You may want to repost with a more specific title Ex: Help with Italian trip. Italy trip advice , etc.

Rex Nov 8th, 2002 01:57 PM

With two people, a car is slightly more convenient for the flexibility; with three or more, a car is the clear winner on cost for most plans.<BR><BR>And no, driving Amalfi is not &quot;too dangerous&quot;, though it could be argued that he driver does not get the same luxury to gawk at the beautifil coastline as the other passengers (I have only driven the Amalfi coastline solo, so I can tell you it is still awesome).<BR><BR>Slightly above your price range are the Cesari and del Senato (I have stayed at both; both good). the sant chiara gets similar favorable remarks, and is in the same price range and general location, I think. At the lower end, the Smeraldo has recently gotten good attention here and on www.nytimes.com<BR><BR>For Rome and all your other destinations, I recommend www.venere.com - - reliable and very useful for window/idea shopping, making inquiries, checking availability and rates, pinpointing on a map, making reservations or cancellations.<BR><BR>And I recommend two restaurants that stick out in my mind; Le Volte (near the Pantheon), and Alla Carbonara (might not have the name exactly right) on Campo d. Fiori.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

tip top Nov 8th, 2002 03:50 PM

topping<BR>

xxx Nov 8th, 2002 05:25 PM

Topping!!!

Topper Nov 9th, 2002 04:15 PM

Topping!!!