Fifth Trip to Paris Ideas

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifth Trip to Paris Ideas

I love the biggies in Paris- Louvre, D'Orsay, Eiffel Tower, L'Orangerie and I also enjoy the smaller/lesser knowns like Cluny, Jaquemart Andre, Musee Quai Branly. I also have shopped the department stores and boutiques as well as wandered many of the gardens.

For my next trip to Paris I'm considering fewer museums and I just had a thought to put togehter a few ambiance themed days like a Macaron Crawl- stopping for samples at Laduree, Pierre Herme, Christoph Roussel, Bon Marche, Stoher, Maison Georges Larnicol, and Carette.

Other ideas I might explore include Paris Passages, a Brocante Day and A Drink with a View (Montparnasse Tower, Roof of Printemps, ?). Can anyone help me add some detail to these or tell me why they won't work and offer some other theme ideas?
Ann Marie
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Macaron crawl - brilliant!
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

By "A Drink with a View" I don't mean alcohol all day long but rather enjoying a variety of drinks throughout the day with fabulous views.
Ann Marie
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

I can't take credit lennyba. I read the macaron tour idea somewhere in the last few days- online, in a book or here on the forums. I loved the idea and that's what got me started.
Ann Marie
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM

I have a macaron a day whenever in Paris so I can definitely relate to a macaron crawl. What a great idea.
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:42 PM

I hear the Segway Tour is pretty cool. Or do what I did the last time I was in Paris, grab a guide book, close your eyes and whatever page you open the book to, thats where you go for the day.

Tom
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Tom, I have two friends who have wrecked on Segways!

I like "Surprise Destination Day" but knowing me I'll try to rig it and cheat on myself. I don't know if I can leave a day that unplanned. You'll need to be there to make me stick to it.
Ann Marie
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM

We go on the Segway tour every visit, love that!

After so many trips, we really just take it easy all over the city exploring with no particular goal in mind.

It's a good opportunity to go on day trips every few days as well.

And, we stay in an apartment, so "live" there for the duration, enjoying just doing everyday activities.

You might want to have a look at Clothilde's Edible Adventures and Thirza Vallois' Romantic Paris. Lots of wonderful ideas.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Louvre- Viewing the lesser loved, lesser known, lesser viewed, a visit without seeing "The Big Three"

Currently collecting "Drink With a View" Locations
Montmartre- Hotel Terrass at 12-14 rue Joseph de Maistre, 18th Arr, terrace open 11am-midnight.
Trocadero- Cafe de l'Homme in right wing of Trocadero for close up view of the Eiffel Tower
OR Les Ombres at Musee Quai Branly with glass roof under the Eiffel Tower
Chez George- on Level 6 of the Centre Pompidou, panoramic views of Paris, open late, great panoramic views
Monparnasse Tower- Le Ciel de Paris
Kong- overlooking Pont Neuf
Printemps Dept. Store Terrace- Mon-Sat. 9:35am-8pm (10pm Thursdays)
Ann Marie
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Count me in!! I can be your personal Chef. "Surprise Destination Day" was a great success. I ended up at the cemetary where Chopin, Edith Pilaf and Jim Morrison are buried. Also that day, I had the BEST Oniion soup I have ever had.

Tom
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM

Printemps roof top terrace has one of the best views in Paris, ET in one direction, SC in another and ND in still another. Don't miss it.
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM

Why not try some trips out of Paris - Giverny, Auvers-sur-Oise, Provins, Chantilly, Fontainebleau?

PS - drinks with a view - the café at BHV for morning coffee?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick...57601670143924
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:11 AM

We did the passages tour on our last (13th?) trip to Paris, and enjoyed it very much. It came out of Giles Desmons "Walking Paris" book, which I am now working my way through. Also agree on day trips, as we did Provins as well as a Seine-Marne cruise. Lots of pictures of all of this at http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...hotos-_-Sharer
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Similar topic here - long discussion with lots of great ideas

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-new-ideas.cfm
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Taking notes. Thanks All!
Ann Marie
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:22 AM

Love this thread!

I would like to do a Monet tour (visit various locales where he painted, all in one trip) but that is more than Paris. I've visited Giverny a few times. In January I flew over for two nights specifically to see the Monet Expo at the Grand Palais (last possible wkd) and once I got there I did some quick research and decided to not only go to the Marmottan - I also visited the Musee d'Orsay (who dragged out a number of his other lesser seen ones, as many were already at the Grand Palais) and the Musee Rodin which was highlighting one Monet painting - they were friends. Yes, four Monet exhibits in one day. I have to put up my TR here.. a little slow on that.

Perhaps pick a dozen of your favorite Paris paintings and visit the exact locale where they were painted? Even to see what has sprung up on the spot since then.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Pompidou Center also has a nice roof top resto with a great view. DH and I enjoyed walking around in that area.

Have you been to the strange clock? That's a cool area also.

St Denis is an amazing church. Am having a senior moment about a glass museum near there-can someone help?

Grand and Petit Palais usually have things going on.

I'm going to search for notes about the clock and the glass.
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM

I don't know about glass museums, but there is Christofle silver workshop in St Denis. http://www.tourisme93.com/document.p...fIDFC930001763
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Maybe consider hiring Michael Osman as a private guide for a day. He can tailor a tour toward a special interest you might have (and get you off the beaten path). He'll also set you up for other days of exploring on your own .....and he'inexpensive. You can reach him at [email protected] It's a busy time of year so he may not respond right away.
Old May 26th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I've actually spend days with Michael Osman on two different trips. Thanks for that reminder.
Ann Marie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -