Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help on accommodations in Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Montreux, and Frankfurt Airport

Search

Need help on accommodations in Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Montreux, and Frankfurt Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary this June in Europe. We have tickets to fly into and out of Frankfurt.

We plan on spending 2 nights in Prague, 2 nights in Budapest (not sure on Budapest), 2 nights in Vienna, 2 nights in Munich, 1 night in Montreux, take the golden panorama train up to Interlaken or somewhere further in Switzerland, and end up the night before our flight in Frankfurt. I have a lot of Hilton Honors points and would like to use them at some of the places at least. But don't want to sacrifice, want nice locations. Will forgo the Hilton brand if there's a spectacular place to stay in one or more of those cities.

Let me know what you think.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM

I think you're cramming in too much in too short a time. But, if that's your plan, I can vouch for the Hilton in Budapest (up on Buda side with great views of the Danube and Pest.)

If you have the required points or status, the business floor has a great lounge with free breakfast and hors d'ouevres.

In Prague I stayed at the Intercontinental on someone else's points--it was nice and within easy walking (less than 10 minutes to the main square in the old town).

In Vienna I love the Hotel Konig von Ungarn, it's just behind the cathedral.

In many price ranges, I've never stayed at a bad hotel in Switzerland. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't found one yet. It's been too long since I've been there to recommend a specific hotel.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

We can forgo either Budapest or Munich. The must sees are Prague, Vienna, and the Montreux/Golden Panorama trip.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Take this for what it's worth. I would drop Budapest from the trip instead of Munich. Budapest, Prague, and Vienna are all remnants of the Hapsburg empire. Munich will have a different feel to it.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM

The Hilton in Frankfurt is very nice, with a great pool too. It borders the 5 km. park that surrounds the inner core of downtown Frankfurt and is a 2 min. walk from the beautiful Alte Oper, 2 min. from the 700 yr. old Eschenheimer Turm and 5 min. from the shopping mile, the Zeil. Another 5 min. walk will get you to the historic square of Frankfurt - the Römer and the Kaiserdom.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Hi jdsprod,
we went to Vienna for new years eve and we stayed at this bed and breakfast http://www.spiess-vienna.at/.
I can higly recommend it, it's one minute (or less) walking to the metro station and 2 stops from St Stephans Cathedral.
Our room was very big and spacious and we were very happy with our choice at 130€/night (breakfast included).
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 04:34 AM

I agree with those who say you are trying to do too much. Instead of seeing the sights you will be running from the train station to the hotel and back to the train station.

I don't think a car is going to help you much because parking particularly in Vienna and Munich is a problem.

As it is even if you drop Budapest you must allow for travel time. How are you going to get from Frankfurt to Prague? From Prague to Vienna? From Vienna to where ever, either Munich or to where you can take the panorama train?
Even if you have car, getting from Munich to Montreux will take you all day.

Also you plans do not include Salzburg. You will go right through it on the way out of Vienna.

Frankly you will have virtually no time in Prague because getting there from Frankfurt is an all day journey unless you fly. Moreover two days in Prague is not enoough time and 2 days in Vienna is close to bizarre.

To be bluntly honest with you, Frankfurt is a poor choice of a flight destination for the cities you name. It is not close to any of them, and getting back there from Montreux is a 6 hour train trip. You can add to the train trip time, the time you will need to get from your hotel to the train station and from the train station to a hotel at the other end.

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM

I too would recommend the Hilton in Budapest. It has a magnificent location, right next to the Matthias Church and Fishermen's Bastion. My room, at least, had an incomparable view of the Danube and of Pest. It was also very convenient for roaming the quaint streets of the Castle District when most of the other tourists were gone.

Like cathinjoetown I stayed at the Intercontinental in Prague. I've stayed at the Bristol and the Grand in Vienna, the Bayerischer Hof in Munich, and the Grand Hotel Victoria Jungfrau in Interlaken, all of which are wonderful--but not Hiltons. The Intercontinental has a good location very near the Vltava in the Josefov area, about a 7-10 minute walk from the Old Town Square. The Bristol and the Grand are about a block from each other, and the Bristol is directly across Karntnerstrasse from the Staatsoper. Both are fabulous, but the Bristol is probably slightly more opulent. The Bayerischer Hof in Munich has a good location, about 5-10 minutes from Marienplatz; it is also pretty luxurious. The Victoria Jungfrau in Interlaken is fairly close to the center of town, across from a park. It is your typyical beautiful grand European hotel--very posh and old world; they also have a spa.