Search

Flights from Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2016, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flights from Croatia

Hi,
My husband and I are looking at a trip next September to Prague, Budapest and Croatia in that order. It seems easy enough to fly to Prague, train to Budapest and drive to Croatia. The problem lies in trying to fly home to Chicago from there. It seems that one can't get a flight from Dubrovnik and the flights from Zagreb require lots of layover time and expense. Does anyone have any ideas? Are we doing these stops in the wrong order? We welcome all ideas!
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 09:06 PM

Have you looked at the cost of returning a car you rented in Hungary in Croatia? That too might involve considerable expense. You will most likely be better off training down to Zagreb and renting your car there. (That is, doing a one-way rental within Croatia.) Or - fly to Dubrovnik and drive back to Zagreb and fly out of there.

It can be easier to stage a night or two in western Europe somewhere before flying back to Chicago. That's what I've done when I visited Croatia. Once I flew from Split to Paris then flew home from Paris a few nights later; last year I flew from Zagreb to Amsterdam and flew home the next day Yes, that too involves some extra expense in getting another night at a hotel plus the extra inconvenience of another airport day and a lot of moving around in a short time, but it's worked out for me. I didn't mind having a few nights in Paris or Amsterdam at the end.

I'd check out cheap flights from Dubrovnik, Split and Zagreb back to western Europe to different cities e.g. London, Paris, etc. Obviously you can get direct flights to Chicago from any of those. If you have any great interest in spending a night or two there, that might make it easier.

If you can do the trip in reverse order - if you find it easier to get from Chicago to Croatia on the first day - obviously that might be better. I'd prefer to be on the Dalmatian Coast in September instead of October if that makes a difference. The weather typically turns cooler in October and things start shutting down for the season there, at least in my experience. Not sure it matters much whether you are in Prague earlier or later; it will be mobbed with tourists either way.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 09:11 PM
kja

You are doing the stops in a logical order, IMO (although the reverse might make more sense, depending on your specific needs), but you might not be giving yourselves enough time -- Croatia is huge, and can easily take 3 + weeks.

The airports in Croatia that would most likely serve your needs are in Zagreb, Split, and Dubrovnik. I doubt that you will find anything direct, and suspect that a change or two are inevitable. I could be wrong. You might want to play around with rome2rio.com to get some ideas, but please don't rely on it as a final word -- it isn't always accurate.

BTW, you might face some hefty drop-off fees trying to rent in Budapest and return in Croatia.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 11:41 PM

You can fly a Star Alliance combo from Dubrovnik to Chicago, which a stop in Germany. Lufthansa/United woulld likely be the carrier(s.)
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rialto girl, that's what I needed to know. United is the only one that can get us to Chicago. And you are right, the layover is a short one in Frankfort. Thanks!

Now I need a hotel suggestion for Dubrovnik for 2 nights between $100-$200. Any ideas?