Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need help in planning my Crete part of the trip

Need help in planning my Crete part of the trip

Aug 9th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Original Poster
Need help in planning my Crete part of the trip

Hi everyone,
We leave to Greece in a week and can't believe we are finally going !!

We are spending 5 nights and 6 days in Crete. We are flying into Crete from Athens on Aug 22nd and we reach at 5:30 pm.

We are staying in Chania, in Old town (a Villa).

We are there from Aug 22nd to Aug 27th. We leave on 27th morning to Santorini.

So far, the only scheduled trip is on Aug 24th , which the whole day to Knossos Palace & Archaeological Museum Tour .

So, we have 3 days in Crete (Aug 23, 25, and 26th).

We want to visit beaches, some nice drive with spectacular vistas and we also want to visit Rhythymnon village.

What are our options ?

According to my research, here is what I came up with: Beaches : Marathi, Elafonissi,and Balos. I also read about Sfakia and Imbros gorge, Vamos Village and Loutro village.
We are traveling with 2 kids (13 and 10) and I know they would love to do beach if possible every day.

Can you advice how can we make the most for these 3 days ?

Aug 11th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Original Poster
Any help ?
Aug 13th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Your day in Heraklion is going to be a long one as it is about 2 hours from Chania. Is this an organized tour or are you doing it yourself. Just wanted to warn you that you and the kids are going to be very tired on the way back from Herak.
By the way just a thought since you are going to have to take the ferry from Heraklion on the 27 why not leave Chania on the 26 and go to Heraklion and stay the night. You can do Knossos and the museum and then overnight right near the ferry port. That is how I would structure that part of your trip.

Chania is a great destination itself. It sounds to me like you are looking for things to do away from Chania but I think you can enjoy a day or two just exploring the old town and harbour. You really have a short amount of time and the less you do the more you are going to enjoy the trip. There is lots to see and do there.

Chana has a decent beach about a 10 minute walk to the west of the old harbour. This is Neo Chora beach. The kids can get their beach time in easily. If you are looking for even better beaches there is a string of them just 4 km west of Chania with good and inexpensive bus connections.

For a good half day excursion you can rent a car and visit Ancient Aptera. It is spread out over a mountain top with great views and ruins from over 1800 years of settlement. It will be hot and bring water as there are no services. The kids will absolutely love the vaulted Roman Cisterns. You can walk into them and listen to the birds flying through. The trip is worth it just for that experience.

Another day trip you might consider is the Balos Gramovossa boat excursion. It gives you two good beaches and a pirate fortress to climb up to. We did that in June and it wasn't crowded at all but I have hear it can be crowded in high season.
I understand there is now a bus that takes you to Balos but it wasn't running in June this year.

Rethymnon is not a village it is a city like Chania. It has a much smaller harbour and old town but is a good day trip. Mind you it is very much like Chania and in such a short visit I don't see any reason to use a day to essentially duplicate Chania.
Having said that you could visit the Fortezza. It is a very intact Venetian era Fortress. We spent 4 hours there in June this year. The kids would probably love that as well.

Hope that helps.
Here are images of western Crete and Chania. The Balos boat excursion and the Fortezza are in these albums.

Chania http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632117917828/

Chania 2015 https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...57655164548880

Western Crete http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632115757899/

Rethymnon https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...57654700502270

Search this Thread