tricks for Venice and Florence Museaum tix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are leaving in a little over two weeks for Venice, Tuscany, Florence and the Cinque Terre. We would like to maximize our time in each destination. What are the tricks for the museums, etc. to avoid crowds and long lines. We are particularly interested in Uffizi and Accademia in Florence, where I believe you can call ahead for reservations?? What about the Doge's Palace and Basilica San Marco in Venice????
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:56 AM

To avoid long lines at the museums, be sure to have advanced reservations before you go. The cost is a bit more if you end up using the reservation, but it's well worth it not to have to stand in long lines.

You can usually make your advanced reservations thru your hotel, or by calling the Italy museum reservation line direct. I don't have the phone number handy at the moment, but hopefully "Ira" will see your post. He's very good about giving the museum reservation info.

I made advanced reservations for all of the same museums you have mentioned, and I was glad I had. You might also do a text search here for "Italy Museum Reservations" and see if you can't find the phone number that way.

Good luck.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 08:32 AM

For the Doge's Palace, if you want to do the Secret Itineraries tour, your hotel can book it in advance for you (not bookable on the web). Just give them the date you want.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Hi
for St Mark's Basilica
website for reserving a short visitin Italian): www.alata.it
alternatively, just plan on attending an early morning mass.
As you look at the front of the Basilica, the entrance for worshippers is on the left side.
Mass takes about 45 minutes--the chanting is lovely, and you have the opportunity to sit and look at the opulence around you. When mass is over, you'll already be inside before the line of tourists starts to enter.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:03 AM
ira

Since Statia was so nice to mention me kindly, here it is for the Accademia and the Uffizi

The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

For the Secret Itineraries tour the number for reservations more than one day ahead is 011 39 041-520-9070.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Thanks, Ira.

Tiffpolm, the numbers Ira has proivided is how I made all of my reservations before our recent trip. With the expection of the Basilica in Venice, for which I used the website that Elaine has provided.

Also, McLaurie gave some good info, as well.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:22 AM

When we were in Florence recently, I just stopped at a tabacchi shop and bought a cheap phone card.....called the Ufizzi and made reservations for later that afternoon.

I had been to the Museum before and stood in line forever.....not necessary!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Can you do the Doge's palace without doing the Secret Itenerary tour? I read a trip report that didn't recommend it very highly.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Yes
you can do the Doge's palace with an acoustiguide, or nothing at all if you prefer
I liked the Secret Itinerary once, thought it worthwhile, but not necessary to repeat it. There is a great deal in the Doge's Palace to see.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:42 AM
dln

Thanks, Ira, I've made note of that phone number as well. The only place I knew about for Florence was www.goporta.com, and there was more than a 1.60 fee! BTW, Ira, my mother was over on SlowTrav researching and noticed you're there too. She said those serious old fogies needed some shaking up and that she was glad you could give it to them (this, coming from a 70 year old woman!).

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:55 PM
ll

Elaine,
What time should I be there in order to attend early Mass and avoid the crowds to continue to view the rest of St.Mark's etc?
Sounds like a great and beautiful idea. Thanks,
ll
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:40 AM

HI
I responded on your other posting

I have files on Florence and on Venice; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:41 AM
ira

Hi dln,