Search

Need help for Sunday drive Sorrento to Castellina in Chianti

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help for Sunday drive Sorrento to Castellina in Chianti

Hi everyone,

We’re trying to put the finishing touches on a May trip to Italy. Thanks for all the info I’ve gained from this site. I’d appreciate any suggestions you can give me for a Sunday drive from Sorrento to Castellina in Chianti. Just two of us, will be picking our rental car up in Sorrento on Saturday, so we can start out fairly early Sunday morning. We’ll be staying in Castellina 3 nights – just plan to enjoy Tuscany - the wine, food & scenery.

Both mappy.com and mapblast.com estimate the trip between 5 & 5 ½ hours if you don’t stop. Check-in at our hotel in Castellina is anywhere from 3pm to 8pm – so we should have plenty of time for the drive and a stop or two.

Both of the map sites recommend the route SS145 to A3 to A1. Exit Valdarno, various turns thru Montevarchi to SS408 (or SP408) to SS429 to SR222 into Castellina in Chianti. The hotel website recommends a different route - A1 – Exit Valdichiana/Bettolle - Proceed toward Siena about 60 kms – Take Superstrada Siena-Firenza - Exit Monteriggioni and follow signs for Castellina in Chianti.

Questions:

1.Do you recommend either or these routes – or some other route?

2.Where should we stop along the way - for lunch and/or wine and/or sites…keeping in mind it will be Sunday?

Thanks
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Still looking for advice on this drive - I'd appreciate anything you can offer.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM

An alternative would be to get off the A1 at Chianciano Terme, and travel thru Montepulciano, Pienza, and Montalcino, stopping at one of those marvelous towns for lunch, then head up the S2 towards Siena and onto the S222 to Castellina. That's a wonderful part of scenic Southern Tuscany.
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:31 PM

I second Budman's idea and look at the "Montalcino to Montepulciano" question on this site posted on Foder's Italy for some restaurant tips.
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Is the name of the exit Chianciano Terme? Do you know if there is a route number?
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Don't know if there is a route number. Here are the directions I followed to Montepulciano from Orvieto:

"If you drive from South (Rome) exit the A1 motorway at "Chiusi Chianciano Terme" and then follow the directions to Montepulciano (30km)."
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:09 PM

We did the opposite and drove from Siena to Sorrento. It was a surprisingly easy drive to Sorrento, driving in Sorrento proved to be another story however. We stopped at Orvieto, which was a short detour off the autostrada for a look around, well worth it. I would also recommend heading towards Siena then taking the S222. The times are pretty accurate.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Toni- We will also be traveling from Siena to Sorrento on a saturday in June. How long was your drive time? (without the Orvieto stop) We want to visit Pompeii the same day. Will we make it? thanks!