Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Help for Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-help-for-provence-1647727/)

ashopalicious Jan 30th, 2018 07:33 PM

Need Help for Provence

We are a group of 7 adults and 3 kids all family members traveling to the Provence region. I am looking for homes/gites but am simply overwhelmed by the choices and not familiar with all the various regions the homes are located in. Also we want modern amenities in a Provencial setting - American Showers, large clean bedrooms, updated kitchen, etc. I looked at St.Remy but cant find anything, we moved on to Avignon, Luberon, Gordes. We will have cars. If you know of any car services that can take us around that could also be an option for us.

My questions are:
- Any great rental agencies help me find a home, for 2 weeks that isn't thousands of dollars per night
- how does one decipher the regions and see if it is what we want. My family doesnt like remote homes and want to be in a good but quite area close to town
- Any questions and tips I should know of when renting homes in this region, and what else should I be aware of

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Sassafrass Jan 30th, 2018 07:52 PM

https://www.vrbo.com/6679672ha
i just typed in "renting a large vacation home in Provence" and many agencies popped up. Then, in VRBO, this one popped up. It appears to be in a great location, between, Nimes, Avignon and Arles.
why don't you find a few places that interest you, then post them for opinions?

StuDudley Jan 30th, 2018 09:41 PM

When will you be there? We've spent 22 weeks in Provence in Gites. Average cost for 2-3 bedrooms with a pool is about $1,000 per week in June. Costs usually jump to $1,600 per week in July & Aug. We reserve more than 1 year in advance. Hope your travel plans are for 2019. Try this place.
Villa holidays, Provence, South of France - Accommodation

Stu Dudley

StCirq Jan 31st, 2018 03:51 AM

Anyone who has invested enough euros in a provençal home to equip it with American showers, large bedrooms, and an updated kitchen (which means what to you?) is going to have to charge a lot of money to recoup the investment or is going to be renting a new abode, which for most renters sort of defeats the purpose of traveling to Provence, and isn't what most villa/gîte owners want anyway..

Deciphering the regions will mean reading authoritative sources such as the Michelin Green Guides and scouring the detailed official websites of cities, towns, and villages. Then you'll probably have to sift through dozens, if not hundreds, of websites for the actual properties.

I agree that it is already late to be looking for accommodations for 2018, especially for a large group with your requirements.

Christina Jan 31st, 2018 08:33 AM

I think your requirements are pretty unusual so there won't be hardly anything out there. First, 10 people in one house, most being adults--that's the killer. Second, you don't want to pay a lot (if you mean what you said literally, I imagine you can certainly find something for less than $2000 per night, though). Third, you want American amenities and you include "large, clean bedrooms" in that list. I don't think cleanliness is an American amenity, but you are not going to get a villa with huge bedrooms for cheap to fit 7 adults in France Not going to happen.

I think you need a high-end travel agent, actually, they can do this kind of thing. But not if you won't pay a lot.

The location thing is trivial in terms of looking at a map and seeing how close a place is to a town or city of some size, though. I don't know what you mean about all the different regions if you want Provence. That is a region, so maybe you just mean different parts of Provence, like around St Remy versus around St Saturnin? That is the last thing I'd worry about given your wish list for a villa, if you find one that suits you at the right price, anywhere would be fine probably.

okay, here is a website for you
Only Provence : France Luxury Vacation Villas

I saw some on there that fit your requirements, actually, but not sure about your dates and availability For example, Mas des Hirondells has 5-6 bedrooms, pool, updated modern kitchen, etc. and is near Eyegalieres, a good location. It's only about 9000 per week, so only a little over 1000 per day. They have others, also, I think that was the cheapest. But I think that's what you need, a luxury villa rental company. I think that one is only available last week in June this year.