need help discerning hidden charges - car rental in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven rental cars all over Europe but I have never done the actual renting and the signing of papers.

I booked a Mercedes A180 or similar four dour automatic car with Europecar through Auto Europe 553USD for a week -
basic rental with insurance-CDW theft protection.

The small print says they don't include
insurance coverage for personal injuries to driver or passenger but optional coverage may be offered locally for add'l fee.

Road tax of 3USD a day with a max charge of 10 days. local tolls, highway fees, travel
stickers (whatever they are) are not included of course.

Do you suggest I purchase the extra insurance? My credit card does not offer insurance in Italy. What does this amount come to usually? I am just concerned if another car is involved in an accident with me.

Thanks for any information! I hate to be so clueless, but I am.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:22 PM

Sea Urchin, my rule of thumb when traveling across the ocean is the more insurance the better-and in this case, if you're saying that your credit card does not cover any overseas insurance charges, I would rather be safe than sorry (particularly driving in Italy-there is a big campaign going on right now, initiated by the Italian Govt. concerning drinking and driving-they're cracking down all over the autostrade because they've had so many road deaths this past year where being "ubriaco" has been a factor, but also just excessive speed and reckless driving). So I would go ahead and give myself the peace of mind and get it, particularly if it isn't much more of an add-on fee.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM

I would disagree with Grilspytravel's opinion that the more insurance you but overseas, the better.

The additional insurance you quote - personal accident - is only to cover you if you become injured in an accident. Your own insurance, if it has Med-pay type coverage may cover you for injuries that occur overseas, it may not. Check.

You need to decide if you want personal accident insurance at all.

CDW, WHICH IS NOT INSURANCE , relieves you of the contractual responsibility to pay for any damage to the car. You are being told it applies to theft only, so you are exposed to collision expenses. You may want to purchase CDW that covers collision repairs since your CC does not.

The deductible on the CDW is usually pretty high in any event - 750 Euros or so.

The road taxes and airport surcharges are just add-ons to increase the bill - you have to pay those.

CDW could be 12-15 Euros per day
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM

Seaurchin,

I've rented cars several ties on Italy, and will be doing so again in October. IMO, I would wait until you pick up the car to see what is being tacked on at that end, and, as I think Aramis suggests, check your own med coverage to be clear about it so you can make an informed decision about personal injury coverage on site when you pick it up.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM

Aramis, if I understand Sea Urchin's post, she stated she already HAS CDW coverage, and that's not the issue, at any rate. The issue, is whether, if she gets into an accident, is the other driver covered for what we would call PIP (personal injury protection) insurance. She is saying that her credit card would not cover such injuries to another driver (some do) and her auto insurance would not cover another driver's injuries in a foreign country.

Given that scenario, I think she DOES need to be covered for that possibility, since a civil suit for personal injury damages can be filed in Italy just as it can in the US.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I will check this all out this coming week. I appreciate any input as I don't want to spend too much extra money but want to be covered, etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Girlspytravel;

Her CDW covers theft only - she should investigate having it cover collision, too.

PIP has nothing to do with covering a third parties injuries - it is for first party medical coverage only. You but it to protect yourself from medical expenses arising from auto accidents. It is totally optional.

All cars rented in Europe have liability coverage, just as they would in the US. The limits are usually much higher than in most US states, too, like 500,000 - 1,000,000 Euros. Liability coverage has nothing to do with PIP or CDW.

You had said she should get everything she can buy "the more insurance the better". I am trying to help her understand what covers what so that an informed decision can be made.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM

I second the suggestion to wait and see what they actually say when you get there - it may not tie in with what you are told in advance and there may be factors you didn't consider before.

Our last car hire was supposed to cover all insurance except the excess waiver, which we were told in advance would be €8 per day. When we got there, we were told it was €20 per day - which we might not have bothered with, except it was also only then that we were told that the excess was €1000 for damage and €2000 for theft (i.e. we would have to pay the first €1000/2000 if we didn't take the excess waiver insurance). We took it.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM

CDW is Collision Damage Waiver not theft. I think SeaUrchin means CDW plus theft. That is interesting because in Italy only AutoEurope usually covers everthing. They have an agreement with the companies for reduced complete insurance. This must be new. AutoEurope's agreements are different in every country. France is different from Italy, etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM
ira

HI SU,

Call AutoEurope. They can answwer all of your questions.

>I am just concerned if another car is involved in an accident with me. <

That is 3rd-party insurance. All rental agencies must carry that. You needn't be concerned.

If you want zero-deductible accident insurance, that is called Super CDW.

If you want insurance on yourself and your passengers, that is another optional extra.

AE also offers a reimbursement plan for what is not covered.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanations! I had called the US office of Auto Europe and the boy wasn't very clear on what is what.

I know Fodorites are savvy travelers so thought I would ask here too! I'll print this thread and pore over it. th