Need help deciding final touches for trip to Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to pick a few brains. Jonas had suggested to another poster that Korcula was very similar to Dubrovnik and for that person to skip it. Now, they seemed to have had less time than us but... Would we be better off spending a night in Korcula with 2 in Hvar and 4 in Dubrovnik or skipping Korcula and adding that night to Hvar or Dubrovnik? We also are still looking for a moderate place to stay in Split and Sibenik if anyone has a suggestion. We haven't found one in Korcula either but really haven't looked hard yet because of our indecision. Hope Jonas or someone else has some input. Thanks
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:18 PM

I booked Hotel Park in Split from suggestions here.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

How did you like it? Price,location?
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I would probably skip Korcula. It's a good size island with a very small walled city. Certainly it is much smaller and more casual than Dubrovnik. But if you use the day for either Split or add to Dubrovnik, you can get more variety. With an extra day in Dubrovnik you might take the excursion to either Montenegro (a fabulous trip) or Pejlesec Penn. and visit some of the wineries. (sorry, I know I spelled that badly... Croatian is hard to spell!)

Have fun!
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Grasshopper. I believe you gave us some good advice last year. So you wouldn't use that day for Hvar? We already have 2 nights in Split. (I have my itinerary posted somewhere else.)
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Teresa, I just looked at your itinerary. Wow, you are going to have a great trip. I guess it would be pretty much a toss up whether to make Hvar longer or Dubrovnik longer. I haven't been to Hvar so I can't comment. I think I might decide, based on the ferry schedule. Or if you're having a great time, can you just stay another day and then go on to Dubrovnik? I guess all I can say is I really liked Dubrovnik (but I also liked my great hotel and the excursions). You might do Miljet or the other small island just off of Dubrovnik if you want a trip.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Grasshopper. Yes, I think we'll have a great time. I guess we could wing that day. We've done plenty of vacations where we've winged most of it but last year I pretty much planned our our exact itinerary and booked all but two nights ahead of time and we found it less stressful at the end of the day not having to look for a place to stay. Since we have places booked in both Hvar and Dubrovnik, I guess we could always get a room in a house if the hotel can't accomadate us. The couple of those "let's wait and see how things shake out" days in our last trip, worked out great. (We went to Switzerland, Austria, and Prague.)All the posts I've read on Fodors have been such a help planning this trip. My husband keeps detailed journals (including everything we eat!)so maybe I'll post it when we return. The wine trip looks interesting to me but my husband says "Nah." How long was it and what did you like about it? We plan to do Miljet, and the Montenegro trip with Atlas. That probably takes up two whole days. Thanks for the input!
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:05 PM

I would certainly vote for more time in Hvar because it was my favorite..even in March. We also stayed 4 nites in Split at the Hotel Split which was a bit away from downtown but walkable if you can do a 40 minute walk...or a 15 minute bus ride. There are many interesting places to travel to from Split...Trogir,,Island of Brac,,,Marakaska...all doable on your own by bus or ferry. We enjoyed ALL of Croatia and would like to return soon!
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:38 PM

I haven't been yet. I am going in late June.