My husband and I (both early 30's) are going to Greece the end of August (8/19 - 9/4 to be exact) and I'm trying to plan the trip now - yes, I know I'm super late - please don't rub it in
I've been researching itinerary options and am extremely overwhelmed with all of the information and options - PLEASE HELP!!
We arrive in Athens at 12:30pm on Friday, August 19th.
We were thinking of staying in Athens 3 or 4 nights and then spending the remaining time in the islands. We're primarily interested in seeing the Acropolis and walking around the city, getting acclimated with the city, etc.
Originally, I was thinking of spending the rest of the time in Mykonos and Santorini and possibly 2 days in Turkey and then fly home from Turkey, but:
- Not sure how feasible this is with the amount of time we have
- Is it worth it just to see Turkey for a few days?
- I've also now been reading how overrated Mykonos is. Considering all of this and the fact that we will be there during the busiest and most expensive time of year...
1-Should we go to Athens, Santorini and another island instead? I was thinking Crete or Naxos.
2-What is the best itinerary and amount of time to spend at each location?
3-What is the best means of travel between locations? Are the ferries feasible? My husband is concerned about the difficulties (ferry schedule, we don't speak Greek, etc.)
4-If we go to Crete, is renting a car the best bet? Any car companies you would recommend?
Some things to consider:
-We're most interested in beautiful beaches and scenery. Hiking and other outdoor activities would be fun too. I'd like the island to have a town we can walk around in too.
-We're both active, but it would be nice if the island had a mix of active/relaxation/romantic vibe
-We're not party animals or concerned with the nightlife/club scene, but it would be nice if the island had SOME nightlife (ie, a few bars, maybe dancing) and is not completely dead.
I'm sorry if this is a bit thrown together - so overwhelmed and really hoping the Fodor's community can come to my rescue!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 2 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 3 Help with Spain itinerary
- 4 My France Vacation
- 5 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 6 Greece during Easter week or August
- 7 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 8 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 9 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 10 Where to stay in Naples?
- 11 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 12 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 13 Driving
- 14 Malaga Christmas lights
- 15 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 16 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 17 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 18 Car hire from Venice to Croatia and bosnia
- 19 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 20 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 21 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 22 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 23 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 24 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 25 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris