Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Help! After Wengen in july, arosa? Kandersteg?

Nov 13th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Question is where to go after 5 days in Wengen at the end of June. We love Wengen's scenery, greenery, cows, village charm and that we can hike up and take a train or gondola down.
We are trying to figure where to go after Wengen where we can take easy to medium hikes. We have been to Zermatt and Sils Maria/St. Moritz.
Coming from So. California, we love greenery.
I"d appreciate any ideas. We'd prefer a place where we don't need a car if possible.
Lotschental? Aosta Lenzerheide? Lenk/Adelboden? Kandersteg.?
Nov 13th, 2019, 10:48 PM
kja

The Ticino? There are some lovely easy to medium hikes in an around Lugano and Locarno.
Nov 14th, 2019, 04:56 AM

Kandersteg is lovely.
I would prefer to be in the fresh mountain air in July, rather than at one of the lakes n Ticino. We were at Lago Maggiore this June and it was hot and muggy.
Nov 14th, 2019, 10:25 AM

The choices are almost endless - that's what makes the decision so hard, right? ;-)

Another vote for the mountains, it would be too hot for me in Ticino in July also.

I wouldn't pick another destination close to Wengen (like Kandersteg, Lötschental) - I think it is too similar in landscape (huge mountains, rugged, glaciers.) Arosa would be a nice place, quite different. Lenzerheide, too (which has a connection to Arosa by cable cars and short hike). Or try the lower Engadine - Scuol. If you don't want to travel that far, to the easternmost canton of Switzerland, you could check out Toggenburg e.g. with Unterwasser and Wildhaus, lower mountains (but still 2,000 - 2,500 m and impressive shapes - Säntis is famous!) and very green.

There is hardly a region in Switzerland where you would need a car.
Nov 14th, 2019, 10:59 AM

It's all good.

I'd stick to the mountains though - cooler weather.

We just spent five nights in Adelboden and never ran out of things to do - wished we'd stayed a full week. I wasn't as gobsmacked with Lenzerheide, where we also spent five nights a few winters ago, although there's no shortage of gondolas and walks there either.

Agree that Scoul will offer you completely different scenery; it's one of my favorite parts of Switzerland.

You will find an abundance of varied walks just about anywhere in Switzerland.

And FWIW, we never have a car!
Nov 14th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding. I think Ticino would be hot in july. we thought it better to head north.
Nov 14th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for answering. Ticino would be lovely but more likely to be hot
Nov 14th, 2019, 04:08 PM
kja

Sorry I hadn't thought about the weather in the Ticino in July. It's a good thing that others knew better!
Nov 15th, 2019, 12:59 AM

We really loved Saas-Almagell where we spent 5 days this June. It's a quiet village with fascinating views on the snow-capped mountains, wherever you look.
It's a small village with endless walking possibilities thanks to buses and cablecars (free with the Gästekarte if you stay in one of the hotels/rentals) that bring you upto Hohsaas at 3.142 meters, amidst 18 mountain tops of over 4.000 meters high. Breathtaking!

Nov 15th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Some people seem to ignore that the Canton of Ticino has many mountain villages, like Bosco Gurin

Bosco Gurin in May
or Bedretto, for example

Bedretto

Val Bedretto

Last edited by neckervd; Nov 15th, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
Nov 15th, 2019, 08:32 AM

Saas Valley would be a good solution: Saas Grund, Saas Almagell or Saas Fee, all linked by bus every 30 min.
Panoramic hikes
from Gspon gondola station to Kreuzboden gondola station and from there to Almagelleralp - adventure trail - Furggstalden chairlift station,
from Graechen - Hannigalp gondola station to Saas Fee,
tons of short hikes as well as long distant hikes up to Simplon Pass or via the Italian villages of Z'Maggenen, Im Land and Gressoney-la -Trinité to Zermatt (4-5 days).

You find similar possibilities in Val d'Anniviers

Grimentz in Val d'Anniviers, popular with Swiss and unknown by foreign tourists. Gondola to Bendolla, starting point of many panoramic trails to Cret du Midi - Vercorin, Becs de Bosson Hut, Lake Lona, Lake Moiry and Lake Chateaupre, Val d'Herens....
Frequent buses to Zinal and St-Luc, linked by panoramic trail via Hotel Weisshorn and Tignousa rope railway station....
spectacular glacier hikes (with mountain guide)

Last edited by neckervd; Nov 15th, 2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: missprints
Nov 15th, 2019, 01:18 PM

Grimentz was indeed very nice, with its old wooden houses. Although we visited on a grey day and the village looked like a ghost town. It's very photogenic.