Need help/advice: Italy in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We 3 sisters had our itinerary all planned out, but now there's a change. We were to fly into Florence, spend 6 days in Tuscany, then Rome for 5 nights. But we've found a much better flight into PISA (all meet in NYC and fly over/back together).

Here's the glitch. One of the sisters wants to see Cinque Terre more than anything. I would tend to avoid it in November. But with being so close on arrival we should accommodate her and go to CT before heading to Tuscany. We arrive on Thurs, November 1 at 10am. I know some hotels will close for the season. And Nov. 1 is also a holiday.

So. What would you do? I see several options:

---Go without a reservation, make a decision depending on weather forecast at arrival?

---Reserve in Pisa and see CT the next day? Pisa has never excited me, but I could be convinced! And, if the weather <i>is</i> nice, we'll wish we'd gone on to CT.

---Or reserve ahead for something charming and relaxing in the CT vicinity? We would rather be &quot;close&quot; but not have to worry about the steep streets. (Remember, we'll be jet lagged). Let's say within a 1/2 hr drive of CT.

Budget up to 160euros.

My inclination would be to go w/o reservation unless you guys think the holiday poses a problem. While we're on layover in NY we could check the weather and begin deciding. If bad forecast: reserve a hotel in Pisa and bypass CT. If good: reserve a place close to CT.

Well, there's our dilemma. I sure would appreciate some advice on the best way to approach this. And suggestions for totally charming places to stay! Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Actually, there's one more option.
If the coastal weather is bad, we could drive on to Tuscany and spend the night in Lucca or San Gim.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:18 AM

It's always a good idea, no matter when and where one goes, to have bad-weather options. Nothing's worse IMO, than having gloomy conditions at a scenic site, especially after having spent alot of money to get there. I certainly would not make any reservations but have with you lodging possibilities...
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

I think that's probably right (assuming coastal hotels won't fill up on a November holiday).

All my research has been on the 5 towns themselves. Anyone know a charming, delightful, wonderful, easy-to-get-to lodging &quot;close to&quot; CT?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM
jay

The weather may not be that bad. The weather along the coast usually is pretty mild albiet cooler than in the summer. you could stay in La Spezia. I will check my notes from our last trip. You may have a difficult time finding a hotel room. I don't believe the weather will be bad at all though.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jay.
If there's a good chance on the weather, we would probably go ahead and book something around CT.

Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist. (La Spezia doesn't appeal). Something within an easy drive from Pisa, relatively close to CT (1/2 hr drive), and doesn't require climbing steep hills to get to it. Charming, up to 160 or maybe even 180 euros/night.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:31 AM

We enjoyed a week's stay here, visiting the CT, Lucca, Pisa, etc, etc...

http://www.lapiccolaoasi.com/
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Jeanne B

We took a ski trip a few years ago to northern Italy. We flew into Milan and had a few days to see the sites before our 'week package' kicked in at the ski resort.

I made the group (3 guys) go to the cinque terre on the way from Venice to Piedmonte. (a bit of a circle). All thought it was one of the highlights of the week! Off Season, mild weather, beautiful scenery. We lived like La Dolce Vita for those two days.

I would not waste time in Pisa. I stayed in Vernaza, but I must admit that the driving was a bit 'scenic&quot; if you know what I mean!! Parking the car, even in the off season was off site and a bit of a walk.

Others can give you places to stay in the CT but I would highly recommend at least 2 days for the area

John

JOhn