Weight limits for scooters in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to know if anyone knows if there are weight limits when renting scooters in Rome. We are six adults ranging in size and builds and would like to plan on how many scooters we might need. Thanks in advance.

Keith
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 09:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
are you scooter vets/old pros? If not - do you have a death wish

A group skipping around Rome on multiple scooters is a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

(My initial reaction was - "if you have to ask, I suspect someone is awfully large&quot

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Unless you all ride scooters in a heavily populated urban area at home, I would not recommend this idea regardless of your size!
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 09:45 AM

Just walking around Rome, on a daily basis you see "locals" getting whacked regularly. Rome "ain't" Bermuda!!!!!! Buy good walking shoes, or a good travel medical insurance policy.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:42 AM

Two months later, I still can't get the memory out of my mind of a young woman on a scooter coming within inches of being run over. It was raining and the scooter just slid out from underneath her on the slick stone street. Luckily, the car behind her was able to get stopped somehow.

Traffic in Rome is crazy, with scooters and motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic and driving between lanes of cars.

My husband and I both ride motorcycles and we would never ride there.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To answer your question, my 125 Honda (a scooter I have seen regularly used for by hire companies) has a weight limit of 180KG, so nearly 400lbs.

BUT I am going to agree with the others. I regularly ride a scooter, and would not consider riding in a major Italian city.

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM

My husband and I spend a lot of time on his Harley and have had bikes for 30 years, but we would NEVER ride--even a Vespa--in Rome! We're considering renting a couple to take into the countryside this coming November, but not in the city.

Several years ago I was on a bus in Rome when a scooter came around us and ran into the open door of the car in front of us (the driver of the car had gotten out to yell at another driver). Honestly, to see the scooter fall over like a tricycle was kind of humorous, once we realized he was fine, but it could have been ugly!

Think about it: Do you want to take an expensive vacation and, perhaps, end up with a broken leg or arm (at the very least)?
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Of the replies I received so far only one has responded with the answer to the question I asked. Thank you for that answer, by the way. We have been to Rome before, both of us have owned motorcycles and have ridden a scooter in Rome a few years ago. Yes, sometimes it was a little hairy, but as we thought to ourselves, "When in Rome".... One of our group is on the large side and so is his girlfriend, which is why we are asking the question.
If 400 pounds is the weight maximum then we have another problem. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>both of us have owned motorcycles and have ridden a scooter in Rome a few years ago</i>&quot;

Well that takes care of the two of you - but what about the other poor souls traveling w/ you?

And IF you have rented scooters in Rome before -- wouldn't you think the best place to ask your question is the agency you rented from last time . . . . . .
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM

I can't begin to imagine more than 400 pounds of people on one of those tiny little scooters.

They're typically for young people - and Italian young people are generally on the slim side. These are not giant Harleys.

If you have experience and want to try - more power to you. Just make sure you have good insurance - and someplace secure to store them if you plan on renting overnight.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 04:20 PM

&quot;I can't begin to imagine more than 400 pounds of people on one of those tiny little scooters&quot;.

How about a family of 4 .
Regards, Walter
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 07:53 PM

Well if you did it before, I'm not sure why you're asking us the question. I'm sure the weight limit on a Vespa in Rome is the same as anywhere else (haha).
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
They're typically for young people - and Italian young people are generally on the slim side.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

both of these points are non-sense. it's a waste of time arguing over how thin or fat italians are but where on earth did you get the idea that scooters are mainly for young people? a scooter is an important form of transport for many people. it fits a need that does not go away once someone exceeds whatever age you think is too old for a scooter (30, 40?, 50?). this point stands in most of europe...especially the med countries.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 09:59 AM

I'm not talking about age of people who CAN own/ride them - I have seen elderly ladies in black dresses riding then along the shoulder of the highway with their grocery shopping in a built-in box behind them.

I'm simply saying that they are most commonly used by young people - and they aren't sturdy enough to hold two very large people. (My roommate in college had a Vespa and several of us used to ride to class on it at times - but we were 3 slim young women - and riding around a campus - not the open highway.)
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM

Two people each weighing more than 200 lbs. would need two scooters, not try to share one.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM

After the death of Andrea Pininfarina in Turin I would really think twice about this, especially if others in your party are inexperienced.
You should also check any insurance that you and your party are taking out or already have for this trip - hiring scooters is often explicitly excluded from any coverage - leaving you with the potential for high medical bills should anything happen.