Reload this Page >

NEED GREAT RESTAURANTS IN ATHENS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:56 AM
ben

I will be in Athens end of May beginning of June for a few days. Can anyone recommend a few wonderful restaurants but not tourist traps. Thank you

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Grasshopper

Whatever you do, don't ask the taxi driver! When we were in Athens every taxi driver we asked to take us to a specific restaurant said "you don't want to go there! It's ......(fill in the blank). I take you to a restaurant by the sea... a restaurant where my mother and sister eat!" And so begins the taxi and the taverna scam!<BR><BR>In my opinion, you can't go wrong going into the Plaka and looking for a place that appeals to you. The outdoor tavernas generally have very good, inexpensive food. There are a couple of places in the Plaka that have a dinner show as well, with Greek dancing, singing, plate throwing. It's a great evening for one night.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Wendy

There is a restaurant in the Plaka that my friend and I really liked called Adriana's. We ate there both at dinner and lunch. It isn't the least expensive but it was very good. They have their own wine which was also excellent.<BR><BR>If you go ask for either Jimmy or Angelo and tell them that the Wendy's (that's 2) from Seattle sent you and we say hi. You might get free wine out of it!<BR><BR>Have a great time in Athens, I absolutely loved it!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 10:54 PM
fiona

I agree with the others. You can't go wrong with the Plaka, far better than an "expensive" place elsewhere in Athens. also you will be able to see which restaurants the locals use. Great place!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:03 PM
kam

Poisideans (sp?) in the Plaka area. best food we ate on whole trip, unfortunately we found it on the last day.. enjoy.. excellent mousaka & lamb

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:53 AM
g

I find many restaurants in Plaka to be tourist traps. Try Psiri area.<BR><BR>And remember if pizza is on the menu, you are at a tourist trap.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 06:11 PM
tom

I liked Daphne's Restaurant, in Plaka, a lot -- wnough to dine there 2 sepaarte times during a 6 day stay in Athens.<BR><BR>Upscale and a somewhat dressy, very expensive by greek standards, but comparable pricing to a good USA restaurant (around $20-22 per entree). Also an extensive greek wine list. I expected to find mainly nasty, cheap greek restinas in Greece but was very pleasantly surprised after dining at Daphne's.