Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   need good shoe recommendation for plus size sightseeing! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-good-shoe-recommendation-for-plus-size-sightseeing-183469/)

plusproud Aug 30th, 2001 10:37 PM

need good shoe recommendation for plus size sightseeing!

okay, <BR> <BR>yes this is an alias. and yes i have already read the jokes about fat people, airlines, and travel. i am a large women, and i like to travel. get over it! <BR> <BR>for those of you who understand, i have a question. because i am so heavy, sometimes walking all day sightseeing causes excrutiating pain in my lower back and hip. <BR> <BR>can someone recommend a good shoe that could help compensate for this. one that doesn't look like my great grandmothers orthotics. will be traveling to europe in about 2 months. i have been several times before and had no problem keeping up with everyone, until ususally the afternoon, when that hip and lower back pain becomes unbearable from standing and walking. <BR> <BR>any help would be appreciated! <BR>

elaine Aug 31st, 2001 06:02 AM

Hi <BR>I really think you should ask a doctor's advice. There have been many threads on this forum regarding trying <BR>comfortable walking shoes <BR>(Mephistos, Eccos, Easy Spirits, Naturalizer, whatever works for you) <BR>but those recommendations have focused mainly on foot comfort and support. <BR>Actually, an orthotic might be just what you need--they don't have to be worn only inside "space shoes" anymore. But they don't come cheap, and require a prescription.

Dawn Aug 31st, 2001 07:17 AM

Hello plusproud. <BR>I recommend Arche shoes. They are made so well and my feet feel like butter in them. Very soft, a lot of support. They are made in France and they are very stylish. But expensive. I don't know where you live but they have stores in NYC. Elaine has some great comments too. Orthotic shoes are a great idea but hurry - they will take a while to make and you are leaving soon. Also there are Merrill shoes. Good luck and whatever you find, have fun.

Joyce Aug 31st, 2001 07:24 AM

My hip hurt so bad that I actually thought I had something seriously wrong with it. I then got fitted for orthodic inserts by a Podiatrist and the difference has been amazing! My shoes of choice are Ecco Mobiles. Have a great trip.

Alma Aug 31st, 2001 07:30 AM

Have you tried Birkenstock or Teva sandals? I'm heavy and I only wear those brands. I do live in Florida, so sandals are a way of life here. I also only own open toe shoes because It is more comfortable. I did travel (walking too)around GB & Paris in June for 24 days. Never had a problem other than swollen ankles and legs. (due to lack of exercise in my lifetime.) Try them. <BR>

alsoanalias Aug 31st, 2001 08:00 AM

My children call my Mephisto sandals, "Mom's happyfeet shoes" because I walk around saying, "I just love these shoes. I just love these shoes". Walked around Europe for weeks in various pairs. No backache and no sore feet.

Beth Aug 31st, 2001 08:25 AM

Mephisto and Arche shoes can be bought in Paris at nearly half the cost in the U.S. So, even if you start with something else, you could buy them while you are traveling.

Willi Aug 31st, 2001 09:11 AM

SAS....the uglier, the more comfortable.

SharonG Aug 31st, 2001 09:15 AM

I second the post about orthotics. Have tried every shoe in the world but until I got my prescription orthotics, none of them did the trick. The only thing to remember is to take them when you are trying on shoes and make sure they fit inside and it's got enough room. I bought two pairs of Mephisto shoes in Paris and the saleswoman helped me make sure the orthotics fit in them. You won't be sorry. My podiatrist also has this deal where you can have your own orthotic built right into a Birkenstock. Haven't tried that yet. P.S. It's all expensive but worth it.

Rosenatti Aug 31st, 2001 09:41 AM

I love my prescription shoe inserts (are they really called orthotics?). I have chronic back pain from a tweaked spine and have used inserts since the '80s. I wear 'em inside a variety of shoes. Currently I have a pair in permanent residence in my beloved Doc Martens, and the combination has served me well across Europe. Just have the inserts made, then use them while trying on shoes. You'll probably find you'll have to buy 1/2 to a full size larger to accomodate them, but they're well worth it. Just one good pair of walking shoes and your little orthotic friends. It' fabulous. And no one but you knows they're there!

Leslie Aug 31st, 2001 11:38 PM

Whatever shoes you buy, don't forget to walk around in them for a few days at home before your trip. Also, buy a second pair of something else for your travels, in case your feet tire of the first ones.

largerandwiser Sep 1st, 2001 10:52 AM

Hi plus proud--I too am a large person- <BR>with the exact problem you have!Only I can't last til the end of the day- <BR>I ALWAYS take my SAS wedge open toe sandles with 3 straps across the front- <BR>they are THE most comfortable walking shoes I own-like walking on air! <BR>I als have the portable othodics that everyone is talking about and I use them inside my track shoes which I also take to Europe. The SAS really look nice with a dress or slax and don't look OLD LADY--the Arche are wonderful but my feet still ache after walking a long time-esp.over cobblestones-in the Arche--(I am over 200 lbs)-I normally wear my funky Arche at home or on cruises but not for lots of walking. <BR>My hubs-also chubby-swears by Mephisto-but he doesn't have the back and hip problems that I do--I SWEAR BY SAS--- <BR>They don't even need any breaking in time as do most shoes--

Jeannette Sep 1st, 2001 12:48 PM

I'm not a plus size but I have trouble with my feet and legs. If you can't afford or don't want the trouble of prescription orthotics, Dr. Scholl's has insole inserts for heavy and plus size women. I use the similar insoles for normal weight. And, they are terrific! Just cut them down to your normal shoe size and then take them with you when you try on shoes. Or, if the existing insole is thick and padded or if you need more toe room, you can wait until you get home, remove the existing insole and slip in the new one.

largeandincharge Sep 1st, 2001 01:18 PM

What do you guys think of tennis shoes? Not just the ordinary keds, but cross trainers with thick cushiony soles? Do you think they would work as well?

plusproud Sep 1st, 2001 02:06 PM

hi guys, <BR> <BR>thanks for taking me seriously and no fat jokes. i have got some really great suggestions here and i am looking for some of them. i actually have a pair of easy spirts, walking shoes and sports. they are fine if i am going to be shopping for a few hours, but even they do not help if i am out all day. <BR> <BR>if i can't find any of the suggestions, i think i will try to find those heavy inserts that someone recommended by dr scholls for plus size women. <BR> <BR>my main complaint is my heel (i have an extra long narrow heel bone but wide toe span, crazy i know for a plus size women who has medium bones). after 6 or 7 hours it feels like someone is jabbing sharp objects in my heel and this also contributes to the lower back and hip pain. of course i need to lose weight and that will help, but in the meantime, life goes on and i'm not stopping for this to happen! <BR> <BR>based on what everyone says, it looks like it may pay for me to get orthotics for my shoes. of course this expense will have to wait until after my trip. <BR> <BR>thanks everyone! <BR> <BR>plusproud traveler

JOdy Sep 1st, 2001 02:55 PM

Hi Plusproud.. I know your problem. I have real difficulty with my feet and hip after several hours walking. All the shoe recommendations are good, I have them all!! But we suffer from the same problem.. long heel. The arch support in all these insoles in the shoes starts before our arch does , so we are in effect throwing our whole foot off and adding pressure where we don't need it. I have an extremely high arch, even if I am about 20 pounds overweight, the dr 's even wanted to do surgery and lower it!!! NO WAY&gt;, The only thing that has helped is an orthotic device that can replace the insole that comes in the shoe. I have them in a pr of ecco softs and naturalizer Euro soles, both of which have a high padded toe box for added comfort. Invest the money you won't be sorry. Everyone says they are expensive, so I'll tell yu exactly how much. Medicare will pay the podiatrist $450.00 per pair, My dr will give a discount to regular pts. down to 350.00, I was lucky and got a professional discount to 250.00. So be prepared. Have a good trip anyway, just stop, sit and watch the world go by for a little while!!

plusproud Sep 1st, 2001 05:12 PM

jody, <BR> <BR>same problem even with arches. both my sister and i have arches as high as a ballet pointed toe, and we are not pointing. i call them "claw feet" with a stick on the end. lololol <BR> <BR>sigh, i guess i will have to break down and by the orthotics. <BR> <BR>thanks everyone

TexasJaz Sep 1st, 2001 06:24 PM

After you find a good pair of shoes. Get two pair. I took a pair of Reebok cross-trainers and a good walking shoe. Switch out shoes. If you wear the same pair, you crush them down; but, if you alternate, they don't wear down on your pressure points.

Jeannette Sep 1st, 2001 07:57 PM

I also have a thin heel and wide ball of the foot. Try some of the Dr. Scholl 3/4 length inserts that have an extra deep heel cup (that really cradles and pads your heel. The inserts don't go all the way into the toe area so you'll have more room there.

sue Sep 2nd, 2001 05:28 AM

Just to let you know...I've tried Compusole Custom Made Insoles by The Walking Co. (aprox $60) and can't recommend them. Thought they would be better than Dr. Scholls but less than going the $$$ route. My husband also had them made and returned them right away but I kept trying to use them but really found no relief. <BR>Ecco's are a great sandal that do me pretty well at home but not sure I should lug them to Europe for Fall because of the weather. I tried on some Clarks and they seem like a comfortable shoe but can't fit my size as they only come in even sizes. Found more styles in the NE than down in Florida though. Post were correct in saying if you really feel the pain those type of shoes are cheaper (and probably better selection) in Europe. Last year I spurlged on my Ecco's before our trip only to find them cheaper in England. <BR>Don't forget the Advil!!! LOL <BR>Good Luck <BR>