Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need first time visit to Rome hotel under $200...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Tracy

My husband and I are in our late twenties/early thirties and in Feb. are going on our first trip to Italy. We are staying at the Bauer in Venice and the Hotel Gallery Art in Florence. We would like somewhere equally as nice (and under $200) in Rome. Suggestions?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Book Chick

Hi Tracy,<BR>I just returned from Rome & cannot give higher praise to Casa Howard. It's a 5-bedroom guest house, very close to the Spanish Steps, and probably a 10-minute walk to Piazza Navona. They have a delightful house in a lovely location, and pride themselves on customer service. (I saw a lot of the sights prior to leaving, but definitely shopped til I dropped the day before I left & the area near the Spanish Steps was wonderful for that.) In any event, you can contact Casa Howard by e-mail: [email protected] or by phone at 39.06.69.92455 or by fax at 39.06.6794644. Also, please feel free to e-mail me directly for more info on Rome in the off-season. You're going to have a wonderful time; most of the tourists I saw (and I saw very few) were from Germany or the UK.<BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:46 PM
elaine

Tracy<BR>You got the Bauer for under $200?<BR>I'm amazed! Good for you!<BR>I was going to suggest the hotel Santa Chiara in Rome, right near the Pantheon.<BR>It's charming and has full services, but it is not at the same level as the Bauer. Rooms are smaller on average, for one thing.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:44 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hey Book Chick, Where is your trip report? Welcome back !

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Book Chick

Bob, I just came back (via NYC)last night! I'll post the report tomorrow or Wednesday, after I've reviewed my notes. Tried a restaurant you recommended & also found a gem of my own that I'd never heard of before.<BR><BR>Good to "Hear" Your Familiar "Voice",<BR>BC

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:38 PM
kavey

BC BC BC BC<BR><BR>Get scribbling (or typing now!)<BR><BR>We want the trip report!<BR><BR>Welcome back!<BR><BR>We stayed at the City hotel also near the Spanish steps.<BR><BR>It was a small standard 3* hotel, nice rooms, small though, I would imagine it shouldb be much less than $200 but it probably wouldnt match your requirements, I have no idea about the hotels you mention so I can't compare.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Shelley

Hi Tracy,<BR>Try booking on line thru expedia.com We booked the Hotel Raphael for half the regular rack rate of $300.00USD for a stay in feb. It is by the Piazza Navona.