Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need first hand information on some hotels in southern France.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to spend 2 weeks in southern France in September and I have just finished booking our hotels. I would love to know if anyone has stayed in any of these and read opinions on them.
Nice - Hotel Gounod -
Cassis - Royal Cottage -
Aix - Hotel Manior -
St Remy - Sous les Figuiers -
Carcassonne - Hotel Donjon
Avignon - Hoteld'Europe
and then up to Paris for 6 nights at
Hotel Relais Bosquet.
I would be grateful to hear personal reviews of any of these hotels.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have stayed at two on your list. The Manoir is Aix, amazing to have a car parc at the hotel! A bonus! Not expensive BUT the Breakfast was worst we ever had.
The Europe was a delight, but as mine was a last minute reservation, moving from the village across the bridge to Avignon so I didn't miss my TGV I had a tiny room, the only single available without advance booking. Other than that, the rstaurant and staff were so warm, considering, I was a last minute guest.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:30 PM

We have stayed at the Donjon in Carcassone. The room was nicely decorated, but rather small. The breakfast was more than adequate, and staying "inside the medevial walls" serves you well before and after the
"daytrippers" have left.

If you are traveling by car, the hotel has a small, gated parking area about one block from the hotel (but still within the walls). You should make arrangements in advance for a parking space.

It is also advisable to have them fax you driving directions through the walls and to the hotel. From there, you will be given a key and directions to the enclosed parking area.

We had dinner in a restaurant called the House of the Troubadors (within the walls). The cassoulet was exceptional, and a Catalan gypsy group played ---an evening to remember!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

This site is wonderful. This is my first time using it. I am so delighted to get this feedback. Thank you very much. Some of the hotels I have booked I know nothing about other than their website. I will feel less concerned about them if I can read that others have stayed at these hotels had a pleasant experience.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:47 PM

We stayed at Hotel d'Europe in Avignon and loved it. The people were very hospitable and helpful, the rooms were plush, and the restaurant there is fabulous. Haven't stayed at Hotel Manior, but did stay at Le Piggonet in Aix, and it was nice as well.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:03 PM

Hi Carmen, The Manoir is no way the quality of the L'Europe but when you can not afford the places, one night gives you the taste and you go on and often find a B&B so far better.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

I don't want to pay more than I have to but then I don't want to end up in a crummy place. When we went to Rome several years ago I made a reservation at a place that got great reviews in several guide books, including Rick Steve's, even though it was not expensive. It was a DUMP in Campo dei Fiori. We got out immediately and then had to go find a place at any price. We loved where we ended up, the Gregoriana by the spanish steps. It made all the difference. It was well worth the extra price to us. I am always looking for the best room I can get for the best price. If I have to pay more because that is the going price to stay out of a dump then I will. So I am most anxious to find out that these hotels are NOT dumps, just good deals. Obviously I am not expecting the taj mahal at the Hotel Manior prices, but if it is on the crummy side I want to know.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:42 PM

The Manoir is not A dump!!!!
Their breakfast is lousy!!!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:42 PM

I agree, I'm all for finding the great values. Just added the comment about Le Piggonet in case MillyMack wanted info about other places. And I'm glad to hear about the other places too, because I stayed there 3 years ago and with exchange rate, probably couldn't afford the same places we did then. That isn't to say they're better or worse...we enjoyed some of the less expensive B&Bs we found as much as the more chi chi hotels...more so, in fact, when we got such a bargain.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Good news about Hotel Manior. I am most anxious to find someone who has stayed at the hotel in St Remy - Sous les Figuiers. I found it on the internet but not in any guide book but it looked nice at a good price.