Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Feedback on dropping rental in Perugia

Apr 9th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I am planning on renting a car in Rome and dropping off at the train station in Perugia. Does anyone know if the train station is difficult to find in Perugia? That is where we plan to drop the car but I am nervous because there is some feedback on how difficult Perugia is to navigate.
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Can't help with location of the train station, but I'm staying with a friend in Umbria for two weeks this summer, and she advised me to take the train to and from Chiusi because picking up and dropping my rental car there would be much easier than in Perugia.
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM

CrazyTravel....I have likened driving Perugia to a bowl of overcooked spagetti accidentally dropped on the floor...there you have the city map of Perugia..BUT, you're in luck for dropping the car at the train station...which is down below the center of town (which is high atop the hill)...
It is located at Piazza Via Veneto, right off the main #75 divided "Raccordo Autostradale"..So coming from Rome, via Todi on the "#3 bis" divided autostradale, follow all signs to Perugia, leaving the "3 bis" to the "75 bis" and exit at the San Faustino Exit . Then follow Via della Settevalli, all signs leading to the Stazione. About 2 kms. Good luck.

Note: If the signs begin saying "Welcome to Denver", you're lost! Get a good Michelin for the region.

Stu T.
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Stu...lets just say that I chickened out and decided to change my drop off to the train station in Foligno instead. I understand that is also on a main rail line and we can get from there back to our base town of Spoleto to take the train back to Rome the day after we drop the car off. Foligno is close to Spello so if we decide that we would like to spend some more time there it would be an easy plan. We had planned to spend the afternoon in Perugia but it might be too large a town to enjoy in a couple of hours once you add the time to get back and forth from the train station into town. You can't do it all so we will have to plan to come back. Assisi, Spello, Trevi, Brevegna and Spoleto are in our sites this time around.
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:50 AM

CRAZY4TRAVEL, we had this exact same dilemma. We just got back from Italy a few weeks ago. We were going to drop our rental off in Perugia, but decided on Foligno instead. After seeing both towns, we were very glad that we were dropping off in Foligno instead. The train station is small and easy to find, and if you are renting from Avis the office is literally a few doors down from the train station entrance, in the same building as the train station. Everything was very easy.

Tracy
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Tracy, thank you for validating our decision. We have driven in a few larger cities in France and my husband found it very stressful. I am a little disappointed that we will not see Perugia this time around but I think we were spreading ourselves a little thin anyway...I guess you try and see it all. This way if we feel like Spello is calling us back we have some extra time to spend there..or we can go back to Spoleto if we feel that it needs more time. Perugia needs more than a couple hours I think.