Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Farmhouse or the like in Tuscany - Umbria Area

Notices

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Mazuk

Hi - Need suggestions on a farmhouse or villa for 2 people in Tuscany Umbria or Chianti - I have been on slowtrav.com but wanted first hand advice -- we are leaving Sienna and want to visit Chianti, San G,Cortona, Assisi, Orvieto and all the great little towns in and about - we have a month in Italy with 1 and a half weeks in this area --- help thanks --websites would be very helpful
Mazuk

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Rex

I just be really mixed up. Aren't there lots of first hand reports on slowtrav?

As for a website, I would recommend www.domani-usa.com

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Henry

http://www.lacrociona.com/
Apartments on a farm (actually a vineyard)outside Montalcino. I have stayed there and enjoyed it very much.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:58 AM
nancy

www.montalto.it
Castle like complex, with abut 6 small apt.-house rentals.
close to Siena, Arrezzo, etc.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Dale

You cannot do better than le Case Gialle. I have stayed there twice in the past year. Near Bevagna in Umbria. Check their website.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:09 AM
whydo

I agree with Rex..I put a detailed trip report and report of my lodgings on Slowtrav...they have tons of "firsthand" accounts of places that would fit your requirements.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:08 AM
selena

check out parkercompany.com
You can send away for their FREE catolog. It is wonderful...

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:42 AM
LJ

I agree with previous poster: do check out Parker Company> There rates are competitiive and their catalogue f sites, absolutley superb. We stayed in their Dua de Spada prperty near Assissi in Umbria last year and it exceeded expectations. We were also a couple and found this property to be very suitable for our needs, near to everything: i.e. Montalcino, Perugia, Bevagna et al. Very pretty quiet locale, great views across valley and spacious suite of rooms with good kitchen and bath.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:47 AM
sandi

look at www.travel-italy.com

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 11:03 AM
up

up

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Anna

Hello. Go and see www.latinaia.it a nice Farmhouse near Florence and SAn Casciano (and Chianti Area). They have a small nice flats with kitchen: very cheap price and very friendly the owners. From there I suggest visiting Montelupo Fiorentino, very famous for the ceramic. By/by

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Mary

Try Calboccia in Umbria. We stayed there 2 years ago and loved it. It's outside the town of Umbertide near the border of Tuscany and Umbria. We did daytrips all over Umbria and Tuscany. It consists of 2 houses (converted farm buildings) on top of a hill with fantastic views and an incredible sense of peace. It's a bit of a drive up the hill, but we loved the spot anyway. The smaller house sleeps 2.

The owner is American out of California and is very helpful. I can't remember the exact web address, but do a Google search on Calboccia. Good luck.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:54 PM
sally

Mazuk: see salveumbria.com; we used them 2 yrs ago for a villa in a town outside of Perugia. Towards the end of their listings there are several smaller accomodations. They were nice to work with, gave us great directions to our place, and the price was very reasonable. Also look at italiareservations.com and Casa Carina; I have not stayed there, but several Fodorites have recommended it highly and it looks very nice. Hope this helps. SALLY

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:41 AM
Mike Miller

Try this place. It's about 10 miles outside of Siena in a very small village called Torre. We have stayed there twice and loved it both times. http://www.toscanaholiday.com/

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Mark

Hi Mazuk!
You might also want to try
www.windowsontuscany.com

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Umbrian Traveler

My family and I stayed in Panicale this summer, about 15 minutes south of Lake Trasimeno. We rented an apartment through the website travel.to/umbria. The renters there also have a couple of farmhouses too.

If travel.to/umbria isn't quite what you're looking for, www.slowtrav.com has bookoos, oodles, and gobs of other villa-rental websites for Tuscany and Umbria.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Rich

We stayed at a 16th Century farmhouse on a villa amidst a working olive grove farm with a swimming pool. Casa la Tramito and we booked in through Tuscany Now.com, a great, reliable, honest organization. The villa was 10km outside of Lucca, a charming, wonderful city that has not yet been overrun by tourism. Our best vacation to date. Ask for their catalogue.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Dlemma

Another resource is www.rentvillas.com. They provide a booking service - the site contains reviews from people who have stayed at the villas (they include both the good and the not-so-good comments). The staff will help narrow the choices for you - they were quite helpful. Our trip is next week, so after that I'll be able to give a better report on the villa itself.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:39 AM
monica

definitely check out www.slowtrav.com.
they have the most comprehensive site on this type of vacation.
we were just there, and stayed at Collelungo based on their recommendation. it was beautiful, and smack in the middle of Chianti - very central to all the places you mention. www.collelungo.com
the other week we rented a place through www.rentvillas.com. they were very helpful and we were very happy with the rental (that particular one is, i think, a little far south for the combination of places you want to go).

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 12:43 PM
jeff

Right on the border of Tuscany-Umbria just east of Mercatale, which is east of Cortona: check it out, capus of three villas quite a way up a mountain, with fantastic views; there is one villa (Casa Carina) set up for two people, the others are larger. Many restaurants and others sites in the area--Assisi, Perugia, Siena, Gubbio, Deruta, Torgiano, etc. all within an hour or two. We loved this place!

http://www.italiareservations.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO