Reload this Page >

Need Expert Advice On 1st Time To London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Jamie

Hello,<BR><BR>Planning to travel to London end of May. Don't know much about the place & trying to do some research. If you can offer advice on the below & perhaps more, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!<BR><BR>1. Gatwick or Heathrow Airport - which one is closer to Central London or main attractions?<BR><BR>2. Hotels - What's a reasonably priced chain hotel(either near the 2 airports above) or in Central London(near attractions)?<BR><BR>3. Do we need to book the red bus tours in advance & if so, where do we sign up?<BR><BR>4. What's this "tube" transportation everyone keeps mentioning?<BR><BR>5. What's the approximate cost to hire a car from the hotel for a day to sightsee/shop?<BR><BR>6. What are the main attractions that one advises to see? <BR><BR>7. Does anyone know much about where we can find Indian shopping stores? I read somewhere that Southall is a big India shopping hub? Is that true? <BR><BR>8. Where's Wembley?<BR><BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:40 AM
elaine

Hi Jamie<BR>1. Heathrow is closer but there is easy transportation in from both airports.<BR>The Gatwick Express goes directly from<BR>the airport to Victoria Station in London. From there you can take a taxi<BR>or, if your luggage is very very manageable, the Undergound (aka, the Tube) to the stop nearest your hotel.<BR>From Heathrow you can take the Underground (Piccadilly line) to any one of many stops in London, or you change to other lines along the way. Again, use the Underground if you're arriving outside of rush hours, and only if your<BR>luggage is easy to manage as there are lots of stairs and escalators.<BR>From Heathrow you can also take the Heathrow Express train, 15 minutes to Paddington Station, and from there a taxi or the Underground (Tube.)<BR>2. Is there a reason why you need a chain hotel (for points or FF miles?)<BR>Some of the chains like Thistle are generally reliable, but there are so many hotel choices in London. How much do you want to spend? It's also helpful to book a hotel that is near easy transportation options to the airport as well as to tourist attractions.<BR>I'm going to leave some of your other questions for others who can better answer. I do advise that you buy a good basic guidebook if you haven't already<BR>(Fodor's for London is very good) as it will outline all the famous and not so famous sights and you can pick and choose those that interest you.<BR>I just got back from a return visit to London and I have a long file on it; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Ellen

1. Heathrow. Not just closer inmiles, but on the tube. (see below)<BR><BR>2. Not sure, but do stay in the city, not near the airport!<BR><BR>3. No, just showup at any stop on the route.<BR><BR>4. The subway system, the world's oldest (and it shows!). Maps everywhere. www.londontransport.co.uk Buy a 3-day or 7-day pass after you get there.<BR><BR>5. You're outta my league with this one! Do you have a physical handicap or something?<BR><BR>6. See the many other posts related to this -- click on "United Kingdom " in the serch box at the top of the fodors message page. There's so much to do -- you'll have to choose among historic, scenic, arts, architecture.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Dan

We have been to London 3 times in the last ten years and while we have enjoyed it immensely, do not claim to be experts, however heres my 2 cents.<BR>1.Heathrow is most convenient, but also more expensive.<BR>2. We have stayed in the Thistle Kensington Palace, which was nice, and got a good deal on Londontown.com. We have also stayed in B&Bs. Travelinn is a budget chain. Expect to spend around $100 USD for a good deal.<BR>3. Don't think so.<BR>4. Tube=Underground. The Cities mass transit system. An outstanding way to move quickly around the city!<BR>5. Don't Know. Everything in central London is accessible via the tube, walking, though.<BR>6.Depends on Taste: Must sees IMHO: Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, British Museum, St Pauls. also worthwhile from our experience would be:Cabinent War rooms, Imperial War Museum, National Gallery, Day trip to Windsor, Tea at the Orangery, The London Walks are outstanding as well. www.walks.com<BR>7. Don't know<BR>8. Northern London I think<BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:00 AM
xxx

1. Gatwick is closer to Scotland (that's why the name sounds Celtic); Heathrow is closer to the beach.<BR>2. A reasonably priced hotel chain is $200 a night. <BR>3. You do not need reservations on the red bus tours<BR>4. "Tube" is short for "pneumatic tube". Just like at the drive up window at your bank, pneumatic tubes propel people through the city. Be sure your underwear is secure.<BR>5. You can hire a car for $20-$1000 a day, depending what make. Add on another $4500 a day for parking, tickets, and incidental damage to squashed pedestrians.<BR>6. Any good guidebook will give you the main attractions. <BR>7. I've never had any luck Indian shopping in London. The British government frowns on trading in humans.<BR>8. Wembley is in England.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Bill

Jaime:<BR><BR>Well, I'll follow XXX's silly & incorrect reply with maybe something serious.<BR><BR>1. I've always flown into Gatwick because it was substantially cheaper for me. I've stayed in Victoria, which seems to be a bit more expensive for the size room you get. But the convenience can't be beat. London rooms tend to be very small. Go at least 2.5 stars. The gatwick express to Victoria is great and it's very easy to get around London from Victoria station. If you fly British Air and maybe American, you can check your bags there for your return flight.<BR><BR>2. I stayed at the Quality Inn Eccleston that was two blocks from Victoria station. I think you should be able to get rooms for about $150 a night there now. Try this link for that price. http://ResServer1.VTSTravel.com/cgi/...s?59977_767381 There is also a Holiday Inn Express in Victoria which they say is 10 mins from the station, but I would guess that is a fast walker. They are chaeper than the quality in by far. Haven't seen a star rating. Their web site is: http://www.hiexpressvictoria.co.uk/<BR><BR>3. Don't book a red bus in advance, but I recommend the Big Bus Company over the others. They are a little more expensive (not much) but the have a guide that is separate from the driver, and they are loaded with information. I've done London Pride too (because we had a coupon) and I might as well have just taken the tube.<BR><BR>4. The tube is the subway. It's great for getting around. I suggest doing a day on the Big Bus first and then use the tube. Get a pass for the number of days you'll be there. You can order them online or get them when you get there. I'm not sure if there is a price difference. You can get the travel card at: http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/london_travel_card.htm<BR><BR>5. Don't hire a car in London. If you want to get outside the city for a day, take a train. Driving in London is a nightmare unless you start somewhere on the "beltway". I think if I took a day from London, I would go to Warwick Castle.<BR><BR>6. Get the London Pass. It's available on the same link as the visitor travel card. You'll get lots of good deals on it. The boat cruises of the Thames are fun, obviously all the usual stuff is great...Westminster Abbey...Tower of London. We went to the London Dungeon which we knew was a big tourist trap when we got there but we had a gas!!! It's like a year around Haunted House except these guys are pros and it's based on actual events. I thought it would be stupid, but since it was free with the London card, I went. Had a great time. The London Card will encourage you to go to a few places you might not otherwise go. We went to the HMS Belfast just because we were near by and it was great!! I thought Harrods was a huge waste and so did my wife. The changing of the guard is easily missed. Basically, you watch two guys get off work and it takes forever if you get there early enough for a good view. Catch a show if you can.<BR><BR>7. Don't have a clue.<BR><BR>8. Wembly is northwest of the center of London near A406<BR><BR>Bill

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Julie

&gt;The changing of the guard is easily &gt;missed. Basically, you watch two guys &gt;get off work ...<BR><BR>Rolling on the floor laughing! I never thought about it that way.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:32 AM
andrew

In answer to questions 7 and 8<BR><BR>7. Southall probably is the area of London that has the largest Indian community and therefore the largest number of Indian shops. However be advised it is a fair journey from the centre of London - you need to get the tube (or subway) to Paddington and then get a train to Southall station. You may therefore be better off trying Brick Lane which is primarily a Bangladeshi area with great curry restaurants and a number of shops relevant to that community - nearest tube Aldgate East - you can also see Petticoat Lane market on Wentworth Street a London institution<BR><BR>8. Wembley is in North West London - probably the easiest way to get there is by tube to Wembley Park on the dark red (Metropolitan) line. Although the famous "twin towers" remain, the area is a shadow of its former glory. Question marks remain over the stadium's future. However for any Englishman memories of a glorious day in 1966 when England won the Football (Soccer) World Cup make this a special place

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:00 AM
Ellen

Regarding the above advice to buy a LondonPass: Be ware that MOST of the museums and other attractions in London are free. The places on the London Pass represent a small portion of the things that a first-time visitor would want to do, especially if you're only there for a week. You should look over the general guides and listings of activities, decide what you want to do. THEN cost-out the LondonPass, and you will probably find that it's not a great deal for you. An alternative, the London For Less book, offers discount coupons and is a better deal for many visitors.<BR><BR>The Visitors transport card that you can buy in advance (with or without the above-mentioned LondonPass) is NOT a good deal -- you're better-off just getting a pass after you arrive. The 7-day pass is a good buy if you're there for 5 days or more, but you'll need a passport-sized photo for the holder card. Most tourist attractions are in Zones 1 and 2 of the tube system, so the passes that automatically sell you all 6 zones are usually not good deals because even if they're discounted, you're buying something you won't even use.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:14 AM
Keith Legg

1. Six and half a dozen, really. It's probably faster to get in from Heathrow, but both have quick train links in to Victoria (Gatwick) and Paddington (Heathrow.) Flights to Gatwick (I'm told) tend to be cheaper, though.<BR><BR>2. I live in London, so can't help with this - sorry!<BR><BR>3. Some you do need to book for, some you just get on and go. Look out for the stands at some of the tourist areas (Trafalgar Square / Westminster are good ones)<BR><BR>4. The Underground, or subway. Great for getting across London reasonably quickly - actually the only way other than walking since the traffic is so bad. Try to avoid peak times, though, especially the morning, as the trains tend to become very packed.<BR><BR>5. Don't know, but you can hire self drive cars in London for as little as &pound;10 per day. Personally, I wouldn't advise it. The tube will get you to all the main shopping areas - even Harrods and Harvey Nichols - and unless you are planning on doing some major damage to your credit card then it's just not worth the hassle.<BR><BR>6. I'd support what's been said before.<BR><BR>7. Don't know about Southall, but I'd suggest around Brick Lane in the East End and also Tooting in South London. There is a thread about Indian Restaurants in London which you might want to look up.<BR><BR>8. Wembley is in North London. The stadium - since I assume this is what you're interested in - has been closed for over a year, and although everything is still standing including the towers I'm not sure how close you can get to it. If you're going to a concert, it will be Wembley Arena you go to.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:07 PM
Mike

Pleeeeeze get yourself to the bookstore and buy yourself a guidebook.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:34 PM
mike

The "tube" is the subway system in London. It is not outdated and is very easy to understand. Have you used a subway system before? If so, then you will not have a promblem, if not, then it will take you all of two minutes to figure out.<BR>I always fly into Gatwick. The Gatwick express takes you right to Victoria station and from Victoria you can catch a tube to anyplace.<BR>At Heathrow you can catch the tube right into London. Since I've never flown into H. I havn't done that, but it would be a no braniner.<BR>Hotels are not cheap. Plan on spending 150+USD for anything decent.<BR>Do not per-arrange for Red Bus tour; see replys above.<BR>Tours; ask at the front desk of your hotel.<BR>Main sites, you've got to be kidding, but I would include the National Gallery on Traflagar (sp?) Square (there is a tube stop just north of Victoria).<BR>Someone else can help you with the rest. London is VERY friendly. They even speak a form of English there. Sometimes. M.<BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:27 PM
Bill

Jamie:<BR><BR>I understand that MANY museums in London are free but most of the MAJOR sites are not. One could argue that you don't want to go to somewhere that is filled with tourists, but the reason that these attractions are popular is that they are spectacular. If you are in London for your first time, you will probably lean to the major attractions. Maybe I'm just a dumb toursit, but I kinda liked them even though other people were there enjoying them too. <BR><BR>I agree that the travel pass (bus and subway) was a bit cheaper when you bought it locally....and you won't need all six zones. Even if you go all the way to Greenwich, you are still in zone 2.<BR><BR>Remember, it's not bad to see the sites frequented by tourists....because you'll be one too. I still think the London Pass was a good value.<BR><BR>By the way, the British Airways London Eye (it's a HUGE "Ferris wheel" on the Thames) was pretty cool too even though tourists go there. You get a spectacular view of the city from there. It's not free either.<BR><BR>Bill