NEED EURORAIL EXPERSTS: Train help from Paris through Switzerland to Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is our rough route<BR>May 20/21 get in to Paris and get oriented<BR><BR>May 22 Paris, day trip to Caen for Normandy beaches<BR><BR>May 23 Paris, Museums in Paris<BR><BR>May 24 Paris, Day trip to Reims for the champagne region <BR><BR>May 25 Train to Dijon for burgundy region<BR><BR>May 26 DIJON <BR><BR>May 28 Train to Luzern, Switzerland<BR><BR>May 29 Train to Luzern, Switzerland<BR><BR>May 30 Train to Munchen, Germany <BR><BR>May 31 Munchen, Germany<BR><BR>June 1 Munchen, Germany<BR><BR>June 2 Munchen, Germany<BR><BR>June 3 train to Stuttgart, Germany Rhien river and wine road <BR><BR>June 4 Car to Baden-Baden, Germany more Rhien and wine <BR><BR>June 5 Car to Strassbourg, Germany more Rhien and wine <BR><BR>June 6 Car to Freiborg, Germany Rhien and wine <BR><BR>June 7 Train to Frankfurt, Germany museums <BR><BR>June 8 Fly out <BR><BR>I have used www.railsaver.com and it recomended a 5 day 3 country pass..BUT.. what about getting to Caen and Reims? What about the subway in Paris? There are two of us traveling.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 05:57 AM
ira

Hi<BR> Your pass allows you any 5 days of travel within a 2-month period in any of 3 bordering countries.<BR><BR> You seem to have 7 days of train travel, (Train to Luzerne is listed twice)which would require the 8 day pass.<BR><BR> You can use the pass for your round trips as long as they are on the same day.<BR><BR> Travel on the metro is a different system. See http://www.ratp.fr/Eng/index.htm<BR>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:02 AM

They probably suggested you buy the trips to Caen and Reims seperately?<BR><BR>If they did, they also told you the cost of these trips, which would be less than additional raipass days (I'm assuming, I don't know the prices.)<BR><BR>Metros and busses in cities are NOT included on railpasses, as a rule.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Hello areinert,<BR><BR>I hope you're enjoying this time of research &amp; planning!<BR><BR>I don't know if you want to spring for big bucks for the Normandy &amp; D-Day excursions, but if some convenience is worth it for you, there are one-day tours from Paris. I did a google search and I found these.<BR><BR>One company, www.paristours.com, has an all-day tour, picking you up at your hotel at 06.45. It's 148E per person.<BR><BR>Another one, www.parisvision.com, has two options. An all-day tour on a big bus is 138E, starts at 07.15, and lasts 13 hours. Another one is in a small van, costs 198E, and lasts the same 13 hours.<BR><BR>I can't vouch for either company, but maybe after you settle on a Paris hotel, they can give you some recommendations.<BR><BR>Were you able to do a search for Luzern hotels before the text search went down? Unfortunately, I've only stayed at Des Balances, and it's out of your price range. <BR><BR>Anyway, great luck!<BR><BR>s
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 07:20 AM

I just tried you itinerary at railsaver.com. When I used it before, it gave you the cost of trips NOT part of their railpass rec., too. Don't know why they don't this time, but I still believe it's because the price for the trip is less than a railpass/day.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

It look like point to point tickets are $45 per person one way to Caen and then $37 one way per person to Reims. Seems like its getting close to being cheaper to get a eurorail pass
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Are you checking P to P prices on raileurope? DON'T!!!<BR><BR>I just checked on SNCF and got a price of 84.20 euro for 2 round-trip tickets, Paris/Caen.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

What is SNFC, do you have a link?
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 10:21 AM

The French train site.<BR>www.sncf.com<BR>click on British flag for English<BR><BR>I don't recall from your previous posts: you are looking at guidebooks, too, I hope...
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear areinert:<BR><BR>Grab a Rick Steves France book and also the Germany, Austria, Switzerland book. They will step you through the best options for your planning: car vs. train, pass or no pass. There is usually a chart with the approximate rail fares so you can figure if point to point are cheaper. Usually, if you have a number of long hauls, the pass may be the way to go. Do the math.<BR>Good luck. I still think you are doing too much and will be totally exhausted. Burgundy area is lovely, but so is the Loire with the chateaux and vineyards, which are much closer to Paris and Normandy.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:59 PM

Well, I read it all and here is my thoughts. We have done all of these trips and find the train works best for us. This would be especially true for a first time traveler. A car in Europe requires experience and somebody who really loves to drive, like an American. <BR><BR>First you don't need a 21 day pass. The pass is good for 6 months from the date of pruchase and it doesn't start until it is validated. You can fly to Paris and hang out, do your daytrip and then when you are ready to go Luzern, start your rail pass. 15 days will be more than enough.<BR><BR>Your plan seems a bit rushed and/or sporatic. You have way to much planned for the first few days of your trip. I would stay closer to Paris and maybe take a few small day trip near Paris. Wine country is hard without a car, but not impossible. You have mostly big cities in your plan, which consume more energy than small towns. Think about added more smaller towns.<BR><BR>Try to find some you can sit down with, who has been to Europe before, and help you plan. We have already ruled out your travel agent.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Any additional thoughts? I am going to book things this weekend
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else want to add thoughts?
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:54 PM

Go to ricksteves.com. There is a lot of information and you can probably determine which pass to get based on the suggestions offered there. They probably also have a phone number to call for help. I've purchased railpasses from his company in the past. They also have rail counselors or planners that can help with itineraries. Have fun - traveling by train is very easy.