Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Euro before we leave - any place cheaper than the 1.27 rate from the bank?

Jan 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

We are renting an apartment in Rome & we must pay the balance up front when we arrive. In this case about euro 1300. We cannot get that high of an amount from our ATM cards when we get there($300. limit per day). So we were thinking of getting that amount ahead of time. We tried the bank but their rate is 1.27. Does anybody have a better idea? Thank you.
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Usually, you can change your daily limit with your bank. Find out the maximum at your bank. If the daily max cannot be high enough, see if the owner/agent will accept installments over a few days.

If you're AAA members, check their rate.

Well you could open a couple different bank accounts and then take the daily limit out of each of them. In your case that would mean quite a few, which would be a hassel. But I always travel with at least two ATM cards from two different banks in case something happens to one of them. This would at least lower the amount you need to get from your bank.
rex

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34643909

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM

Are you travelling w/ a spouse and do you each have an ATM card? Then you don't have a problem. Have your bank raise your daily limit to $800 and then you can each withdraw that much. You'll still have to use the cards 2 or 3 times since most cash machines will have a limit per transaction.
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Dbacks, my experiences with ATM's in Italy is even if my bank has a high limit I always seem to have a problem getting that amount from an ATM in Italy. So you probably will have to use more than one ATM in Italy.

I would not be surprised if the owner/agent of the apartment in Italy will NOT accept payment over a period of days as laws in Italy are such that once a person is in a unit it is difficult to remove them..Italian laws being what they are.

If worse comes to worse..I would encourage you to read the post that Rex has posted here..I agree with his thinking. Sometimes we just have to "bite the bullet" and pay a bit more to avoid all kinds of stress and aggrevations. Best wishes to you.
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
ira

Hi Db,

A. Open another account for travel.

B. Get an ATM card for both you and your spouse on each accoount.

C. Raise your daily limit to $400 for the period you will be gone.

You can now withdraw 1333E in one day.

You will probably find that you can only take out 250-300E on each transaction at an ATM.

Have a nice visit.