Need estimate of time from London to LHR

Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Need estimate of time from London to LHR

I want to reserve transfers for our December trip to London and suddenly realized I don't know what time to ask to be picked up at our hotel the day we return home. It's been a few years since we have visited London and I honestly don't remember how long the ride to and from LHR took.

Our flight home leaves at 1:30 pm and I assume we should be there three hours before the flight. Factoring in drive time to airport, what time should we leave the hotel?

Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:16 AM

Your hotel would be the best source of this information, as they would have the most experience. Also the car service would be another place to ask.

As we don't know what hotel you will be at or what day of the week and what monthyou will be traveling (all factors) it's hard to give answers.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Cicerone: We are staying on Strand near Covent Garden. We leave on Friday and, as noted above, our trip is in December.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:15 AM

I would allow an hour. The traffic can be heavy in the morning. We usualy hire a car which runs about 40 pounds, but was worth every cent.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:38 AM

You need to be at the airport 3 hrs. ahead of time and the ride to the a/p usually takes 1 hour (can be less .. can be more .. average 1 hour). Just back that up from your flight time and you'll be fine. We always use a transfer service (Ray Skinner, www.london-transfers.com) and if you use Ray just ask what he thinks best. Our rides with him have ranged from 45 min. to 1 hr 15 min. as it all depends on traffic. It's worth every pound to have some one take you out to the a/p (and to meet you too). It's a civilized way to start and end a trip.
Enjoy London!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:44 AM

You don't really tell them your pick-up time. The car service (if they are doing their job properly) will tell you.

Generally it will be about 4 hours before your flight time - but that could vary depending on the time of day, local congestion issues where you are staying and other things.

The trip takes less than 30 minutes at 5 AM and could take 90 minutes at 5PM.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. We are booking with Ray Skinner and I sent him an e-mail in case I got no responses here. The reservation form I started to fill out yesterday did indeed request the time of pickup.

Again thank you for your advice. Should have no trouble booking our transfers now. quot;>